Author Topic: Surf Paddle Flutter  (Read 2726 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Surf Paddle Flutter
« on: January 01, 2019, 02:22:41 PM »
I have been an avid Werner fan starting with the motto and then the Rip Stick when I git serious about SUP Surfing. I have am always working on my stroke. I lent my Rip Stick to my daughter and used my Nitro for the first time in awhile. I realized that when I angle the Rip Stick toward the board it has flutter and is hard to hold in a straight line compared to the Nitro which is more narrow and stiff on edges.

So I am looking around for a Surf Paddle that is short and wide fior quick strokes yet stiffer edges so I can steer board by angling the paddle.

Am looking at the black project surge and Quick Blade.

Anyone else have the same flutter issue? Any paddle recommendations? I am 210lbs and use the 89.

Thanks
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Paddle Flutter
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
QB vdrive. It’s hard to make that paddle flutter.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:20:53 PM »
I'll second V-Drive. can't remember it ever happened to me with this blade.
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »
My Sunova paddle has no flutter. Best paddle I've ever had. Whenever I go back to my old Kialoa Pipes, it flutters all over the place. It's like night and day.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:36:56 AM »
I thought it was just me and poor technique. i got a new quasi generic (Epoch Power) carbon paddle and it flutters. The aluminum shovel that came with my cheap iSUP doesn't.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »
Paddle ON

I just come out and say it (since no obne else has) and I'l a big guy too
KeNalu Ho'Oloa Elite paddle with ERGO T handle for the surf no flotter ever even under the higher loads us bigger guys put to it. Durable Light (not the lightEST) Great paddle in the surf.

We offer a significant ZONER discount You can email me or PM me for details

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 10:07:20 AM »
Generally, people adapt to the stuff their paddle does that is not great--flutter is one of them. If you're not feeling flutter it's possible that the reason is that YOU are preventing it. Unfortunately, the most common way to prevent flutter is to grip the paddle too hard or plant it poorly so it slips rather than catches. If you want to see if your paddle flutters, stand or kneel sideways on your board, plant your paddle as far from you as you can comfortably reach--get it in well past the neck--hold it in place for a few seconds to let the air get off it, and pull it straight towards you. Chances are it will dance around like a Rapala.

most paddle designers that want to eliminate flutter do it with lots of dihedral. The only problem with that is dihedral reduces catch by making it easier for the water to flow across the blade. Any flat-blade paddle that doesn't have wings or some other tweak to control flow will flutter. Kialoa's flutter because they are made to optimize catch.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
update: when i wrote this i was just starting to really work on my j stroke. i have been switching between a few paddles now and realize that  the flutter was me, not the paddle, doh! when properly stroking the rip stick works great. i need a longer paddle and just ordered a black project surge. i will use both and be able to have head to head comparisons soon.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
In my experience, PaddleOn, you've got that exactly backward. You can't induce flutter, but you can eliminate it. Do try the straight pull experiment I mentioned above. It will show you which paddles have the worst flutter. You can choose to live with controlling flutter to get the best catch for the technique you currently have, or you can use a blade that has features to produce less flutter and work on increasing catch. Any feature that controls flow across the face will reduce catch--it has to, that's how it reduces the flutter--by directing water flow off the face. Both straight dihedral and V-drive blades work this way. You could make a blade with a fence around the edge to prevent water from flowing off the face. But it would be ridiculously unstable and would wobble uncontrollably. That's not a theory--I tried a "subtle" version of that, it was horrible.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
My Sunova paddle has no flutter. Best paddle I've ever had. Whenever I go back to my old Kialoa Pipes, it flutters all over the place. It's like night and day.

badger which modelare you on?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal