Author Topic: 2019 SIC Catalog  (Read 33294 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2019 SIC Catalog
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »
SIC seems to have a fairly good line-up (if on the high volume side of boards). I also like the fairly minimalist approach of Naish - one board to do it all the Maliko :-) and one Touring board (not sure how goo it is)  but their sup surf line-up is quite extensive.

+1

I wish SIC did some lower volume version of the RS. Some of the women I know who ride it say it's too much board, I feel the same way.
See you finally gave up your Bark. I guess the Maliko is too good to justify it.
The SIC RS is a rival for the All Star, and the All Star is hugely more volume than the RS. So I don’t understand this statement. The latest 14x26 All Star is 360L!!!!

If a person likes a low volume board then they can buy a Maliko or a Sidewinder. But some paddlers here on the zone (eg. ukgm) have actually complained that the SIC RS has too *little* volume. One advantage of higher volume boards is that they can take a wider weight range of paddler, and also quite often a full volume nose and tail can be pretty effective upwind. I paddled the RS and Maliko back to back in about 20 knots on a river and upwind the RS was noticeably faster. The All Star is very good upwind too. (With bigger upwind ocean bumps I suspect the Maliko would fare much better). So it just depends what you want out of your board, and how heavy you are. The average US Male weighs around 196lbs (89kgs). Carrying that weight, I suspect a mid-size (eg. 14x26) Maliko would not be very efficient in choppy water. Whereas a paddler of that weight on an All Star or RS 14x26 I suspect would have no problem.

Personal opinion aside ( Yes, I would buy Maliko over RS ) Imagine women at 110-130 on that RS and you'll realize how it can be too much of a board.
This is exactly the impression I got from female paddlers I ride with. Shall I remind you what happened to our French friend on that Nelo board.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 08:05:30 PM »
That's a fair statement. AllStar feels to me at 77kg like a barge.  A friend of mine at the same weight got a 2018 14x26 (insurance claim replacement) and still live to regret it.
On the other hand, I could perfectly see myself getting a used 14x26 RS as my fast touring/flat water board. As much as I love the Ace-GT sometime it is a lot of board....
For playing in the bumps, the Maliko 26" is about right for my weight. I was wondering if there was any chance for me to pick-up a used Maliko 24" for the days I feel frisky and it is flat but the volume might simply not be enough based on the 26".
The beauty is that there are boards for everybody - lightweight like me and stockier/bigger 90 kg guys. Just pick-up the right brand and model.

Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 04:42:16 AM »
That's a fair statement. AllStar feels to me at 77kg like a barge.  A friend of mine at the same weight got a 2018 14x26 (insurance claim replacement) and still live to regret it.
On the other hand, I could perfectly see myself getting a used 14x26 RS as my fast touring/flat water board. As much as I love the Ace-GT sometime it is a lot of board....
For playing in the bumps, the Maliko 26" is about right for my weight. I was wondering if there was any chance for me to pick-up a used Maliko 24" for the days I feel frisky and it is flat but the volume might simply not be enough based on the 26".
The beauty is that there are boards for everybody - lightweight like me and stockier/bigger 90 kg guys. Just pick-up the right brand and model.
I tried a Maliko 14x24 in flat water and it was fine at my weight (I’m about the same as you). I think I’d struggle on it in choppy seas though, but my balance is not great, and somebody younger and whose weight is mainly in their lower rather than upper half would probably have no trouble at all.

I actually prefer low volume boards. My custom 16ft is only around 230L - I doubt you’ll find many 16ft boards that low. But that is because I don’t race (often). Low volume boards are much nicer to paddle in chop, wind, and confused waters. Which describes 90% of my paddling. But they are slower in some circumstances if you are racing, and are only rarely faster. My rule of thumb is: low volume for pleasure, high volume for competition. With low thin rails, inevitably there will be some occasions in chop when the rail digs in, the deck swamps, or the nose pokes or the tail dives. These little things all add up to take the edge off the average speed in mixed conditions. It’s not really noticeable however in pure flat water, as long as your waterline is good. And low volume boards can be easier to surf, and control in big bumps. So it’s not all bad news.

The other thing about medium or high volume boards vs. low volume ones is width.
Tje 14x24.5 RS is probably about the same stability as the 14x26 Maliko. So, would you prefer a lower volume board or a narrower one? The choice is yours.

So, IMO there’s a kind of sliding scale, with at one end a heavy keen racer (who will almost certainly want a high volume board), and at the other a light paddler who doesn’t race (who will want a low volume board). How likely you are to want either a high- or low-volume board probably depends where on this weight-competitive scale you are.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:47 AM »
My rule of thumb is: low volume for pleasure, high volume for competition

For most people that means one board.

If you're a heavy keen racer get a custom, winning on a stock 14 in serious races? You're living in a pipe dream.
At the amateur level, people win races, not boards. You're most likely to win on the board you're most comfortable on.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »
My rule of thumb is: low volume for pleasure, high volume for competition

For most people that means one board.

If you're a heavy keen racer get a custom, winning on a stock 14 in serious races? You're living in a pipe dream.
At the amateur level, people win races, not boards. You're most likely to win on the board you're most comfortable on.
Yep, and a lot of people are more comfortable on higher volume boards.

You’d need to be a seriously big unit to sink the 2019 All Star.

But yes, if you own a Maliko and are heavy, don’t expect to be winning races, except perhaps big downwind ones on the 14x28 if you are good enough.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »
I think all three of us agree on one point:we all love a low volume board for down-winding in the bumps of 4x4ing in side chop :-) and it is reflected in our respective boards for such.

As neither of us seems to be racing in the traditional point of view then my only question is what volume board for of a relaxing but still fast distance paddle on flat . I would likely be very happy with a SIC RS 26" at the upper end of the volume scale 306L but would rather not go too narrow as it would defeat my purpose . the Sunova Allround 14x27 at 319L would be more into AllStar territory. Not sure what <27"> wide board under 300L would fit that bill. Maybe the old Javelin X28.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
Big(gish) guys who don’t race should definitely take a look at the 2018 14x28 Maliko. I tried DJ’s in Melbourne and was really impressed with it. The stability was fantastic yet it still didn’t feel like a “big” board, and it did mild upwind/DW circuits in 15 knots or so very well indeed.

I don’t think that many people would need to go bigger than 14x26 in the RS. It’s recommended for people up to 240lbs. It is so unbelievably stable. I actually wish I’d bought the 24.5” wide one rather than the 26, and I’m just a wobbly old geezer who loves stability. The 14x28 RS should carry most of the biggest guys quickly and easily, and is recommended up to 275lbs. So if you are heavy, you could certainly race or tour on an RS. By contrast, I doubt if anyone much over 230lbs is going to have a lot of fun on a Maliko - even the biggest one.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »
I think all three of us agree on one point:we all love a low volume board for down-winding in the bumps of 4x4ing in side chop :-) and it is reflected in our respective boards for such.

As neither of us seems to be racing in the traditional point of view then my only question is what volume board for of a relaxing but still fast distance paddle on flat . I would likely be very happy with a SIC RS 26" at the upper end of the volume scale 306L but would rather not go too narrow as it would defeat my purpose . the Sunova Allround 14x27 at 319L would be more into AllStar territory. Not sure what <27"> wide board under 300L would fit that bill. Maybe the old Javelin X28.

If you really considering a 28" wide, the SIC Okeanos might fit the bill. 306L @ 28" wide doesn't seem excessive and this board seems to share some RS DNA. At $1600 or so it's more on the affordable side.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »
Right now it is more academic than anything else. Unless something too good comes my way in the local used market.
The Okeanos looks nice but it is fairly heavy (but I totally like the idea of expanding from the successful RS shape). The 26" RS might just be exactly the board for what I have in mind. Able to be fast but relaxing enough for distance, good glide to allow a slower cadence and stability to pick the daisies if you want to (and not a displacement nose). Sometime in the winter, specially when paddling alone, I like to be on a "relaxed" board. So far the Ace-GT has been the go to board for that but sometime I just long for less board :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:33:45 AM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »

If you really considering a 28" wide, the SIC Okeanos might fit the bill. 306L @ 28" wide doesn't seem excessive and this board seems to share some RS DNA. At $1600 or so it's more on the affordable side.

Luc doesn’t paddle 14 foot boards that weigh more than 26 pounds ;) On a more serious note, I have looked at two different 2019 SIC online product guides with differing information on the Okeanos. SUPviennas online information shows the Okeanos having 340 litres of volume, weighing 34 pounds, opposed to the link on this thread showing 306 litres at 32 pounds.

https://supvienna.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/2019_sic_catalog8-13.pdf

The production RS at 14 x 28 is 340 litres, which the Okeanos is based on, so what’s the right information?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Luc doesn’t paddle 14 foot boards that weigh more than 26 pounds ;)

Mel, be nice to the old and feeble little guys...... :-)
Actually I was very surprised as how well does the Maliko paddle, it be over 28 lbs - so there. I think that it just works with the shape and the purpose of the board, giving it additional stability in the chop. If I go for a flat water/touring board, I would like not to exceed that weight. After all the Ace-GT weight under 32 lbs.
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »

Luc doesn’t paddle 14 foot boards that weigh more than 26 pounds ;) On a more serious note, I have looked at two different 2019 SIC online product guides with differing information on the Okeanos. SUPviennas online information shows the Okeanos having 340 litres of volume, weighing 34 pounds, opposed to the link on this thread showing 306 litres at 32 pounds.

https://supvienna.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/2019_sic_catalog8-13.pdf

The production RS at 14 x 28 is 340 litres, which the Okeanos is based on, so what’s the right information?

SIC are notoriously known to fuckup their catalog specs so I wouldn't trust it blindly and ask before I buy.
The board on the catalog looks a lot slimmer an more inline with lower volume. board on your pdf seems way thicker,
more inline with 340.

That said, it could be neither. My wishful thinking goes with 306L, that's the one I'll want to cruise on.

It's a good question to our zoner supnorte who posted this catalog
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
That said, it could be neither. My wishful thinking goes with 306L, that's the one I'll want to cruise on.

306L and weight 29 lbs or less and I am with you.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
The RS 14x26 is 306L and 26lbs.

The Okeanos 14x28 is probably around 340L (same as the RS 14x28) and 34lbs (a lot heavier than the 14x29 RS) as it says here:

https://sb3f1dcc8780460dc.jimcontent.com/download/version/1537881416/module/15201254224/name/2019_SIC_Catalog8.13.pdf

The 14x26 RS is certainly stable enough and well-behaved enough to use for touring, for the average paddler. It even has a deck cargo net fitted as standard.

The Okeanos is going to be great for carrying loads (looks as if it has cargo bungees at the rear as well) and is hugely cheaper. If it also uses a 3-fin setup as the catalog shows, that is innovative. Most people reading this forum probably don’t need a board that big and heavy, but it would be good for multi-day trips, or as a budget race-tourer for a really big guy.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »
The RS 14x26 is 306L and 26lbs.
The 14x26 RS is certainly stable enough and well-behaved enough to use for touring, for the average paddler. It even has a deck cargo net fitted as standard.

Enough said. That would be a good winter board to complement the funky Maliko. An alternate to the Ace-GT.
Another year and they might start showing-up on the used market. Patience, patience.....
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal