Author Topic: Where are guys foiling in Santa Cruz  (Read 8012 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where are guys foiling in Santa Cruz
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
Since you guys brought it up.  I ran for cover on Monday.

20 feet at 20 seconds tends to do that.

There was some kelp but the outside was firing. 

812 yard ride well wide of Indicators (I think).  Averaged 19 mph with a top speed of 26.  Riding the Iwa with Big Tail because I thought it didn't look that sizey.  It was a 10 to 12 foot takeoff that STOOD UP and then backed off.  The first 200 yards of that long ride was with my back foot in FRONT of the rear strap (thanks COLAS) - aka too hot and fast to get my foot into the strap all weight forward.  You can see where I turned when I finally got it all together. 

I was flying along the pier in what I would call no-mans land.  The size had to be there because I think its too deep for any normal surf craft to ride.  I kicked out when I could see the whites of people's eyes on the beach.

I was out with Clay, met Olivier and there was one other guy with a Starboard on a foil.  Olivier (G?) is the guy clearing the kelp from his foil. 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:09:21 PM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
Dang, that's just flat out impressive Beasho....800+ yards, and 26+ mph at times...sheeeeeeet, that's hauling arse for a looong way!  :o :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 11:57:34 PM »
Beasho - sounds like we had similar days.  It was really wild taking such long rides, and yeah the first little bit getting into the wave was a little butt-clenching...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 12:55:06 AM »
Yup, that's the deal with bigger stuff, once it gets over the reef and gets rolly again it's just fun, but getting in then it's over your head is a big deal. Dues to be paid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal