Author Topic: Flight of the Phoenix  (Read 1560 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Flight of the Phoenix
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:06:26 AM »
There is a great scene in the movie Flight of the Phoenix where the plane goes over a cliff on takeoff, dives down, and just before crashing pulls up and flies into the sunset. I had a similar experience last night.

I caught a wave that jacked up at the last second. The drop was steeper than I anticipated. As I came down the face I realized I was way too high in the air. I knew I was going to breach and I was just preparing myself for the inevitable crash. Just when I thought all was lost, my nose dipped down, and then leveled out. The foil accelerated with a burst of speed and shot me to the shoulder. I was shocked but ever so happy to be above water. The wave turned out to be a fun one and I rode it nearly to the beach.

The flight of the Phoenix baby.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Flight of the Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »
Nice Evan

did it clean up yesterday afternoon?  I was down there late morning and had a lot of water moving everywhere, i didnt go out.  Looks super windy today.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
Very cool description of what had to be an awesome feeling (once you realized you were gonna make it). !!  :o ??? ;D

Was looking for you on the 26th....saw, and talked with "fatfish" for awhile, but didn't see you on the beach or in the water while I was there. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to head down for another couple day (maybe Sunday at the soonest if I'm really lucky), but hit me up in a PM if you're still gonna be around next week. I'd love to meet up, and compare my new board to the new Kalama you got a month or two back.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:08:18 PM »
I had numerous versions of the alternate ending yesterday--where it crashes and splatters all over the desert. Today was better even though the surf was actually bigger, with the bigger surf the reform coming across the reef was useful and fun. Yesterday it was smaller and I had the delusion that I could foil the outer break. Not so much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal