Author Topic: New Foil or New Board?  (Read 3602 times)

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Foil or New Board?
« on: December 27, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
Debating on a new board or a new foil, need some advice from you guys:

-I weigh 230 and have a 7’6” TV dinner 140 L & the original maliko 200. 

-I want to get a Kalama or JL board, but am thinking I need to get a smaller foil.  Do you guys think the maliko 200 will be ok for the next couple months, should I get a JL 7’5” or Kalama 7’ or go shorter to 6’10.  Geeze so much new information and I don’t Know any foilers in New Smyrna Beach... 

-I was landlocked four years and just started foiling a few weeks ago.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Landlocked four years😬

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: New Foil or New Board?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 11:19:19 AM »
If you only started foiling a week ago, I would say use what you have for now as it should work fine to learn on and it should become obvious to you what you may want to invest in next.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »
Blue Planet, probably the best advice I could get!  Thanks!  But now I still want a board! 6’11” jimmy Lewis at 129 liters??
Landlocked four years😬

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »
 I was 235 at my heaviest. I was rocking a 6’ Kalama with an IWA wing. I love both dearly.

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »
Thanks Evan, I appreciate the input!
Landlocked four years😬

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
I should mention that there are days, particularly small ones, when I miss my Maliki 200. The IWA is a super fun wing to fly, but the M200 just goes and goes forever. If I could do it all over I’d buy the combo set, but it’s a bunch of money and I was brand new to the sport.

Good luck with your search.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
If you have the original Maliko, meaning the flat wing, then step one should be to get a Maliko 200 and/or Iwa. The original Maliko flies very well, but it's tough to turn on. You need to turn slowly, and if you push it, you'll probably crash. The easiest way to get better foils is to buy the combo--not cheap, but not ridiculous. I know GoFoil is working on a way to offer individual wings and tails, but it's not an easy thing for them to do because the joint for both wing and tail depends on a precise fit between the wing and fuselage.

The 7'6" L41 will do for quite a while--good stability and reasonable size and weight for a beginner. If you jump straight to a smaller board you are likely to struggle a lot longer than you need to. Stability is important so you can turn for the wave and get your feet and body into the right position, It's not a simple thing, you'll pay some dues, and the fewer things you need to worry about at first, the better.

A foil set that you can turn is also critical to early success. You HAVE to turn on the foil, you can't just go straight in waves of any reasonable size. As soon as the foil comes up you'll run out of the wave and stop. Then the wave hits you from behind and you launch. Not good. I've foiled the original Maliko and I found it very difficult to control. M200 is my goto foil. I'm 230 and an advanced beginner. I might always be an advanced beginner.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 04:26:27 AM »
Thanks PonoBill, I’m going to get an Iwa this weekend! Peace and happy foiling!
Landlocked four years😬

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
Thanks PonoBill, I’m going to get an Iwa this weekend! Peace and happy foiling!

Agree with Bill.  Check to see if you have the Maliko 200 or 160.  If it is the 160, you should consider the dual IWA/M200 pack so that it is all fit properly as a start.  I upgraded from my M160 to the IWA/M200 with the 29" mast.  Love the 29" mast with the IWA when the waves are bigger though not sure with it on the M200 in smaller waves--hit eel grass a bit much.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »
GET THE MALIKO200 WITH THE 29.5" MAST..... :)

call karla at gofoil... tell her thats what you want...whatever she says itll cost...pay it...you will not be disappointed....NOBODY who weighs 230 is ever disappointed with the Maliko200...im 230# too and i ride it all the way up to and including a couple feet overhead...
...all you do is move your back foot 1 inch more foreword...if the waves go double overhead im riding a regular board anyway or thats when i switch to the Iwa wing....

if you want to get really  crazy get the Maliko200  and 29.5"mast with the Tuttle fitting and the extra base plate ...the whole setup jumps to 32" ...and you will  never overfoil/breach out of the water again..for the  most part ...😀

if you only get the Iwa.

when you eventually learn to pump back out at 230# you'll be thinking...damn...gasp gasp gasp....this is a LOT of work!... gasp gasp gasp...how the hell do those guys get 6 for ones??!!!.

Maliko200 is just
..wheeeeeeeeeeeee :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:46 PM »
Yes, the M200 is my goto (230 pounds). The Iwa is fun on big days, but it's work on smaller days and crazy fast when it gets steep. I'm not really quite up to it yet except for those transitional days where I start overfoiling the M200 a lot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 03:40:20 AM »
Thanks guys!  Got the maliko new maliko 200 and the Iwa, it came with the shorter mast.  A friend of mine bought the taller mast and was able to put his wings on it.  Just wondering if he was lucky or is this possible for me too?  I would definitely love to not overfoil!✌🏽
Landlocked four years😬

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
Thanks guys!  Got the maliko new maliko 200 and the Iwa, it came with the shorter mast.  A friend of mine bought the taller mast and was able to put his wings on it.  Just wondering if he was lucky or is this possible for me too?  I would definitely love to not overfoil!✌🏽

Awesome!  I love my IWA and M200!  I think it is a bit hit or miss on whether it will be a perfect fit or need some minor adjustments (sanding or shimming)... my friend's new 29.5" mast/set is the exact same size/fit as my older one so his parts and mine are fully interchangeable with a snug fit but my new set is a touch bigger.  I also hear that Alex is open to selling wings and parts now and there is a rumor on Seabreeze that there is a fully modular version coming.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:34:44 PM »
I have a 29" mast on order and I'll be experimenting with that to do GoFoil fitting. It seems like there isn't a HUGE difference in the fitment. but if you have either of the extremes--smallest fuselage plug and biggest wing holes or vice versa then you have problems with the fit. The easiest thing to change is the fuselage plugs, hopefully, my new mast will either be on the big side. Then I can just file it to fit.

I know I could make a loose fit work as well--coat the fuselage plug with mold release, plug the screw hole with wax and stick some chopped fiber reinforced epoxy in the wing hole. Jam them together and pray. But I'd rather not do that. Too many things can go wrong.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:59 AM »
my Maliko200 wing was a bit wobbly and loose on the new 29.5 mast...one short piece of aluminum tape from home depot wrapped 3/4 around the fuselage head fixed it no problem...solid

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal