Author Topic: New Infinity fins for the Blackfish  (Read 3204 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Infinity fins for the Blackfish
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
Got these for Christmas to try out on my 14' Infinity blackfish, anybody try these specific fins? they cost 235.00 and not to sure especially when you see the LA fins everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:51:15 AM by SouthCounty »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Infinity fins for the Blackfish
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
I've got a set and i like them. I mostly use the ventral and a single most of the time though. Those fins were the only 4 fin option made in carbon. LA didn't like Infinity making carbon 4 fins so they stopped making them. Lucky you got a set!

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
I've got a set and i like them. I mostly use the ventral and a single most of the time though. Those fins were the only 4 fin option made in carbon. LA didn't like Infinity making carbon 4 fins so they stopped making them. Lucky you got a set!

Thanks..... I was thinking about returning them and just buying the ventral, what other times do you use the twins and the smaller single?

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
The boards have gotten more stable so i started taking the side fins off and messing around with the ventral and smaller center fins and settled in on that for everything. I don't race much anymore but i still paddle for fitness. I never got more speed from the twins LA versions or these, but the stability was noticeable. I don't think they sell the carbon ventral separate but LA sells his. I would just keep them and experiment that's half the fun!

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 02:13:54 PM »
The boards have gotten more stable so i started taking the side fins off and messing around with the ventral and smaller center fins and settled in on that for everything. I don't race much anymore but i still paddle for fitness. I never got more speed from the twins LA versions or these, but the stability was noticeable. I don't think they sell the carbon ventral separate but LA sells his. I would just keep them and experiment that's half the fun!
Ya I think your right, I'm gonna keep them and just have fun messing around with the set up. What do you recommend for best stability I mostly paddle in the Dana Point area

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
Have you tried them at all yet? I would just start with the stock set that you have and go from there. All you would have to adjust is maybe to a larger center fin but good chance that set up is pretty good. Remember the flat side of the fins face out to the rail (opposite from a surfboard fin) and i like the middle fin pushed all the way up in the box.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »
I'm with BrentP. More using the center and ventral. Only use the tweens for races and going with a smaller center fin.

$235 is a steep price. You'd probably save $50 on a center fin and ventral  from LA and you'd get fiberglass fins which
are indestructible compared to the carbon. Much better return on your investment imo.

Check out the LA GTM fin. This fin cover a wide range and you'd probably won't need any other fin.
in progress...

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
I'm with BrentP. More using the center and ventral. Only use the tweens for races and going with a smaller center fin.

$235 is a steep price. You'd probably save $50 on a center fin and ventral  from LA and you'd get fiberglass fins which
are indestructible compared to the carbon. Much better return on your investment imo.

Check out the LA GTM fin. This fin cover a wide range and you'd probably won't need any other fin.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:52:42 PM by SouthCounty »

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
Have you tried them at all yet? I would just start with the stock set that you have and go from there. All you would have to adjust is maybe to a larger center fin but good chance that set up is pretty good. Remember the flat side of the fins face out to the rail (opposite from a surfboard fin) and i like the middle fin pushed all the way up in the box.
Thanks I have not tried them yet, the board came with the larger single fin already, so my thought is to try the ventral with the larger fin it came with, also all carbon. Then maybe play around with this set up, but like someone said 235.00 is kinda high if all I'm going to use is the ventral?

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »
A carbon single fin alone can cost up to $150 bucks and 4 fin set from LA in fiberglass would run $250+ so in hindsight the carbon at $235 is not bad.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal