Author Topic: Similar SUP popups - two years apart  (Read 3445 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Similar SUP popups - two years apart
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah1ISisQn1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0FNl-Q7uks

I first wanted to try the Mauka Lodge version when I saw it, but I had to wait until Summer to find that my pelvis will not allow me to straddle a 32-34" board.  C'hit, they both look like a nice clean way to get'up. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Similar SUP popups - two years apart
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
50 and under--maybe. 50-60 Maybe with some wobbling. 60 and over--No fucking way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »
50 and under--maybe. 50-60 Maybe with some wobbling. 60 and over--No fucking way.

How does anyone keep a straight face when they tell me to do something in one smooth motion?

I think I am in good shape for 60, but getting to my feet is a process.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
if i could still pop up on a steep wave, i doubt i would ever have moved to sup--i'd still be proning

and i would have gotten about 20% of the waves i got over the last several years

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
I am going to meet up with Tiago Silva (vid #1) at Mauka Lodge, in Portugal next week... super stoked!

Looks good... for young SUPsters.
My pop-up is more like climbing my paddle shaft..... and no way I can even sit on my SUPs.
I must be standing or knees for entire session. No rest for me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:35:46 PM by supthecreek »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
Me too, if I were any slower staggering to my feet I'd install a walker rail.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Yup....for youngsters.

I almost always use a wave to pop up these days. I get on one knee and get ready....a lower version of a sprinters start....wave hits I get up. Helps a lot.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Me too. There a kid who is probably 13 or so who is prone foiling at Ka'a that gives his foil board a little shove in the shallows then hops on and pumps away, sometimes going all the way out to catch a wave--must be at least 100 yards. Looks totally casual. Rotten little bastard. I spent the morning getting clobbered. I hurt about everywhere. There were some overhead sets, and when you take one on a foil you get the impression quite quickly that things are not in control. I went down a wing size at first, so I could go for the bigger waves, but then discovered as soon as I got to the flats where the waves were rolling that I couldn't stay up without a lot of pumping. Back in to get a bigger wing. Then when I took off on a big wave I was on the edge of control for as long as I was on the reef--and too often I was beyond it. I hit the water at high speed so many times it gave me a headache. Yes, I know, that's a little concussion. Shaking up the jelly.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
I’m a few years behind you guys but I will offer this. My prone popup was super slow. A buddy said, “if you can’t touch your toes, you can’t pop up.” I’m a long way from touching my toes lol.

So, inspired by Gerry Lopez, I set out to work on two things, touching my toes, and getting a deep squat, safely.

Since I’ve started, I still can’t touch my toes but my deep squats are decent and I get a little better everyday. My pop up is way better  I’d say twice as good and fast as when I started. I blow way fewer waves.

Just do a little stretching while you watch TV. Eventually I might get to a yoga class but for now, just that has given me a way better experience in the water with zero impact or injury.

I’ll bet you old guys could loosen up a bit. And every little bit counts. I believe in you.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 04:44:42 AM »
I’m a few years behind you guys but I will offer this. My prone popup was super slow. A buddy said, “if you can’t touch your toes, you can’t pop up.” I’m a long way from touching my toes lol.

So, inspired by Gerry Lopez, I set out to work on two things, touching my toes, and getting a deep squat, safely.

Since I’ve started, I still can’t touch my toes but my deep squats are decent and I get a little better everyday. My pop up is way better  I’d say twice as good and fast as when I started. I blow way fewer waves.

Just do a little stretching while you watch TV. Eventually I might get to a yoga class but for now, just that has given me a way better experience in the water with zero impact or injury.

I’ll bet you old guys could loosen up a bit. And every little bit counts. I believe in you.

Squats are off the table for me unless I have my hands on the floor/board. They give me arthritic flares. I can drop to a "Tebow kneel" and come back up from that several times before it bothers me. I am not sure why that is different, but it is. Still not something I would do every few minutes for a long paddling session.

Being lose isn't the problem. I have range of motion. I can touch my toes. With feet at shoulder width, I can cross arms and touch the floor on the opposite side of the other foot (both at the same time). The joints just can't handle a load when bent very far.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:47:42 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
Man-envy, Glide...  I have never been flexible.  I'm the one where people leave when they see me crabbing down the beach.  "I'm not staying here to save that old Fuc."

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Perhaps an eye roller of a response that few want to hear. :-[ No matter your age yoga + cutting systemic inflammation will produce immense benefits in popup, flexibility, chronic pain and quality of life.  The initial buy-in/sacrifice will seemingly decrease while the benefits grow the longer you go.

A Simple/Reasonable Rx:

Yoga x3/15 min weekly

Inflammation: Healthy fats: fish oil, avocado, coconuts, nuts/seeds, drastically reduce or eliminate sugar/simple carbs and improve gut bio ---> bone broth, apple cider vinegar, kimchee, greek yogurt etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
Good tutorial, thanks Wetstuff :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
I feel ya man on the stiff joints. I’m fighting the inflammation myself to prevent that lock up.

I do know the difference though between loose muscles (yes, envious of your flex too) but a bit of my work is not actually squatting up and down but easing myself into position to work on the joints, not repetitive movements in and out.

It’s amazing to me that we don’t have better solutions for arthritis yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal