Author Topic: Book recommendation - The Pacific Alone: The Untold Story of Kayaking's Boldest  (Read 1264 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Pacific Alone: The Untold Story of Kayaking's Boldest Voyage

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Alone-Untold-Kayakings-Boldest/dp/149302681X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545855386&sr=8-1&keywords=the+pacific+alone

I have forced myself to put down this book long enough to write a brief recommendation for this book. This is the story of Ed Gillette's journey of paddling an of the shelf kayak from California to Hawaii in 1987. I have been fortunate to get to know Ed when he and his wife Katie owned a kayak shop here in San Diego. I went on three self supported Baja tips he led, and also volunteered at his shop helping teach disabled persons to kayak. This book does a great job of explaining who Ed is and what his journey was like.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Thanks Tom

Good recommendation for me as an avid ocean kayaker. I will order it.

I like the idea of a thread recommending books that are connected to the ocean.

Might I recommend “Tides: The Science and Spirit of the Ocean” Book by Jonathan White

Wonderful book. Well researched and written. I learned an incredible amount of fascinating detail about tides, their history and science.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal