Author Topic: Flatwater Winter and Warm Feet  (Read 2017 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Flatwater Winter and Warm Feet
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
Supthecreek has the definitive thesis on what boots to get:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22864.0.html

and JimK offers a good price on the Neosport Boots - but I can't find confirmation I'll be able to get them over my 18" calves.

Thinking about these - Kokotak Launch Socks
https://www.amazon.com/Kokatat-Hydrus-Launch-Socks-LightGray-S/dp/B078YFTX69/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545802920&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=kokatat+hydrus+launch+socks&psc=1

Customers say yes they'll fit my calves - one guy says he can wear them like a hat so "big".

2 or three pairs of wool socks and some sandals maybe?

Creek? any other frozen-chosen with input?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Flatwater Winter and Warm Feet
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
DeepMud

Email me directly and we'll contact Hyperflex for ABSOLUTE confirmation
Jim@extremewindsurfing.com

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 05:53:50 AM »
Mud,  I'd bet you'd fall on your azz with those Kokotats - there's no apparent non-skid sole.  I'm 16" and 180lbs ...18" doesn't seem waaay off the scale.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
The kokatats are really just an over-sock - you'd need sandals or neoprene booties to go with them. I'd wear two pairs of good wool socks and the kokatas and put one some wading sandals (or  - truth - I have some crocs...lol ) .

I've emailed Jim to check what his sources will say about the Neosport boots. Maybe I can find a source that also does wetsuit repairs and could get a big wedge sown in before they are even shipped. It would kill any warranty but they'd fit.....

16" isn't a lot smaller - but a 16" boot top would need 2" of material added.....when I slice the back of rubber waders it usually takes about 3" of duck-tape added to make them work.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
Supthecreek has the definitive thesis on what boots to get:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22864.0.html

and JimK offers a good price on the Neosport Boots - but I can't find confirmation I'll be able to get them over my 18" calves.

Thinking about these - Kokotak Launch Socks
https://www.amazon.com/Kokatat-Hydrus-Launch-Socks-LightGray-S/dp/B078YFTX69/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545802920&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=kokatat+hydrus+launch+socks&psc=1

Customers say yes they'll fit my calves - one guy says he can wear them like a hat so "big".

2 or three pairs of wool socks and some sandals maybe?

Creek? any other frozen-chosen with input?

deepmud or Bigfoot? ;D ;D

My totally untrustworthy measurement of my very own creek calves is no bigger than 16"
hold please, while I go take some pictures..... tick tock....

ok, I'm back

My feet are size 10.5 wide.... I bought size 13 Explorer boots to accommodate 1" thick wool socks and not be tight.

The boot tops are a bit loose, so probably around 17"
However..... I slipped my entire hand in next to my calve and it wasn't tight at all.... good stretch in boot top

My best guess is that you should be ok with the size 13 Explorer boots.

If you have any problems... I'll be in Portugal  ;D ;D ;D

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »
"tick tock" lol :D

Yeah....call me suspicious. :D  - No boots fit my legs ever ! But size 13's...I'd do it. 2 pairs of socks and maybe a felt pad in the bottom. I'm hoping Jim gets me a confirmation. If you measure the top when pressed flat - a 10" front to back would net an 18" or 19" inside circumference I think. Just checked my left calf - 47cm with jeans on - right calf - 49 cm -( it's been doing most the work since my partial left knee 30 months ago). 49cm is 19.3"  , call it  19 and a half. 20" would be nice so I could wear something thicker than jeans.

I'm stocky but I'm not Yuuuugee - you would think this would not be so hard lol

Have fun in Portugal!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal