Author Topic: Paddle for santas, elves, squirrels, sloths, narwhals, etc.  (Read 2837 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle for santas, elves, squirrels, sloths, narwhals, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »
https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/12/946b737c794994/santas-elves-and-reindeer-ditc.html
Humans do the craziest stuff. If I had trichromatic vision this would probably make more sense.
They do shit for the attention...welcome to social media 101.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »

And some charitable giving for cancer research

https://komonews.com/news/local/santa-paddle
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/12/946b737c794994/santas-elves-and-reindeer-ditc.html
Humans do the craziest stuff. If I had trichromatic vision this would probably make more sense.
They do shit for the attention...welcome to social media 101.
Portland has a very active non-racing group paddling scene (it does have some very good local races also).  Yes, crazy sometimes, but in a good way. This santa paddle generated lots of donated toys for kids.  The witch paddle generated a ton of donated coats.

One key behind it all an active facebook group, where people who want to paddle with others post when they're paddling--just routine paddles, downwinding trips to Hood River, or things like paddling downtown to see waterfront events, or full moon paddles, or fireworks...The santa and witch paddles were an outgrowth of that.  It doesn't hurt that Gorge Performance is in the middle of all of it, always helping out (elf on the right in the photo, with the NSP board, is gorgebob). 

These events get a lot of people out who have no interest in racing.  They also get a lot of really good racers.  Dan Gavere is in one of the photos.  Several of the santas and elves are some of the fastest racers in the PNW.  Funny they'll get more publicity for paddling in a santa suit than winning a major race, like Miles Davis saying more people recognized him for being in one Honda scooter commercial than for being a musician his whole life.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »

And some charitable giving for cancer research

https://komonews.com/news/local/santa-paddle
My bad. The charitable aspect (regardless of cause) is one thing that I have no problem with folks looking to draw as much attention to themselves, and the cause as possible to promote the giving by and of themselves, and hopefully that of others.

Thanks for correcting me on my laziness for not clicking through to the article, and one of the reasons for the costumes.  :-[
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
Humans (as in a non-human perspective). Trichromatic (as in PDX's German shepherd can't see reds or greens...)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »
Very nice, congrats to the lot of you.   Good cause and keeping the stoke alive !!!!

water + sup = stoke = Fun Times !

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
Humans (as in a non-human perspective). Trichromatic (as in PDX's German shepherd can't see reds or greens...)
Actually, my dog knows better than to assume that anything people do around here makes sense.  Here's from a couple months ago, and trichromatic vision wouldn't make it any less weird....
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34197.msg388548.html#msg388548

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
dogs just shake their heads--as any non-human would, when exposed to the shit we perpetrate
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »
More press, from a TV reporter who did both the Santa paddle and the Witches' Paddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xad53NhOVs&fbclid=IwAR3QvoIymRa4ThEjvQZYynlLA9AiX0UmyoCp0olWOAy4mkMxIDBtMvrH1dM

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 07:29:00 PM »
Sano...dude...you need to stop being so cranky...the cranky old man thing is my gig. People dressed up in costume and did crazy shit long before social media. I understand the aversion to the FB selfie but its not all that, even without the charity aspect. We did the Late Summah Paddle in costume for a few years as a finish to the CCBC season...it was a fund raiser too but it was about getting the crew together at the end of the season for a no stress fun paddle and party. Yes paddling and drinking did occur....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
Sano...dude...you need to stop being so cranky...the cranky old man thing is my gig. People dressed up in costume and did crazy shit long before social media.
Yeah, and we called it Halloween...and the "cranky" just really hits me hard this time of the year...

Hate it actually, the commercialization of it all...the day after Halloween is now the new "Black Friday" ffs. I just really need to just stop posting until after the 1st of the year.  >:( ;)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
LOL...I feel your pain...I have to make an effort not to be cranky.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal