Author Topic: Ok, fellow geezers - ramp it up!  (Read 4583 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Ok, fellow geezers - ramp it up!
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:24:04 AM »
https://www.medpagetoday.org/neurology/generalneurology/77860?xid=nl_mpt_SRNeurology_2019-02-08&eun=g1282527d0r&utm_term=NL_Spec_Neurology_Update_Active

...the short version (important bit)

"Aerobic exercise training significantly improved cognition in young and middle-age (sic) adults, a randomized clinical trial found. Specifically, aerobic exercise significantly improved executive function in adults ages 20 to 67, with older individuals having the greatest improvements."

Press on, eh?!

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Ok, fellow geezers - ramp it up!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »
If walking the beach and picking up trash for hours and hours during down time from the water is considered aerobic then I'm good. Cuz I really hate regimented exercise!
I've heard that specific activity is called "Plogging". Although that would be the jogging/picking up ver. I only jog when it's necessary to get back to my house when items have been forgotten at the beach.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »
Thanks for posting Jim

Yes there is only one “fountain of youth” .........exercise. Not only good for all aspects of physical health but maintaining cognitive function also. At one time it was thought that there was an inverted “u” shapes effect on cardiovascular health implying that there was a detrimental effect of too much exercise. This has been shown not to be true. A key for me has been finding something(s) that I enjoy doing and those have been cycle commuting  to work and surfing when not working. It was yoga and “Max” workouts which are a form of high intensity interval training that got me fit enough to cycle and surf.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »
cookie, plogging would certainly be considered aerobic--random squats and speed walking on the beach for a few hours?

props
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:32:30 AM »
Marc,   Me Too! ..there's no way I am doing anything 'organized'.  I don't do my bookkeeping 'organized'.

Bob, I have an elliptical that I spend a lot of effort walking-past; it is there for when 'the urge hits' - not when the clock says. My wife did Yoga and now does Tai Che, but those are 'scheduled' events. I have the impulse control of an 8yr old.  My best cold water exercise is removing deadfall from about 8 acres of woods.  Lifting-bending-pulling-stretching  ..consumes all the food groups.  I can haul about 4 loads a weekend to the dump if the weather is decent. (rain/wind blew down this pine)

'Not looking your age' is for other people to judge - not feeling it, is for me. The pisser: sequential spinal, MRIs are not encouraging.  When someone -who likely does not even mow their own F'ing lawn- tells you to take up Checkers because Shuffleboard may be too strenuous, I become hearing-impaired.  I intend to race for the exit, not back away from it.  Press on!

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »
Lately for me it is the arc trainer; one where you don't use arms. Usually 3 times a week. I will do about an hour with resistance at 55 (pretty high), incline at 2 (low) and do about 90 steps per minute, which is slow, but the resistance and amount of time make it a pretty good aerobic workout. I usually keep my HR in the 140s, which is pretty much the aerobic zone for age 60. It's because of my crappy knees that I keep incline and speed low. Sometimes I do 2 hours. Really can't do much with arms until I rehab from surgery on the left one and sadly even the right one isn't doing great. Right was scoped a few years ago. I am pretty much going to stick to paddling and toning exercises that keep my hands fairly low, even once rehab is done.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:45:33 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal