Stand Up Paddle > Downwind and Racing

Outline of a sprint board

(1/3) > >>

burchas:
Revisiting the ISA Championship was very interesting to see the boards taking 1st on the sprint races.

Especially on the men side, against recent conventional wisdom where sprint shape is a pin nose/wide tail,
the board that seem to give extra gear to its rider was a wide nose/pulled-in tail with least amount of waterline.

Just makes me wonder how compromised are these shapes from main stream manufacturers.

On the women side, though a main stream brand, the one board that doesn't follow conventional wisdom (Maliko)
with pulled-out nose / pulled-in tail and I'm pretty sure the widest board on the field.

Luc Benac:
I would not think that the Maliko that was used would be the production construction and weight. too heavy to accelerate quickly I would think.

burchas:
I can't say for sure, but her board did have all the markings of a production board, including the usual production measurements on the left side.
Regardless, this is still a board that doesn't follow the conventional sprint shape.

peterp:
The Maliko that Tarryn used was production - the Maliko shape is great for sprinting - it's a planing hull design which lifts and goes on plane for short distances with a strong paddler. Hence the great success of Casper and others on that board in shorter sprint disciplines - it's usually the first board at first buoy. But distance racing is another story.

blueplanetsurf:
Makes sense to me, the best way to go faster than the hull speed of a 14' board is to create enough dynamic lift to slide on top of the water and reduce the wetted surface area.  This can only be maintained for a short time by very strong paddlers but I guess it works for sprints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version