Author Topic: Best paddle for surfing.  (Read 3641 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Best paddle for surfing.
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:27:02 AM »
A couple months ago I started a post asking basically: what is the best paddle for surfing? After a lot of discussion and consideration, I believe that I have an answer to that fundamental question:
the best paddle for surfing (on an SUP) is, imo, the Mana.     

I appreciate all the people here who pushed me toward Ke Nalu. Originally I x’d Ke Nalu off my list because I did not want to mess with hot glue. I was leaning toward Hippostick, thinking about Black Project and considering Quick Blade. Someone here who had no skin in the game told me flat out that Ke Nalu, specifically the Mana, is clearly and surprisingly better than any Quick Blade paddle for surfing. I ended up getting a Mana 82 sq inch blade with the regular (not extra stiff) handle and an ordinary t-top. Despite the fact that I did a much less than perfect job cutting it and putting it together, the feel of the paddle in the water is perfect. The regular shaft feels just right to me (not too flexible at all) and I glad I did not get the stiffer version. The handle is nice. The overall feel of the paddle is really beyond what I thought possible. I felt like I was surfing a smaller board than I actually was, because the paddle just makes everything feel nimble and responsive. The feel of the blade is beyond awesome. I was told by someone not associated with Ke Nalu that there is something technical in the way that Ke Nalu makes their blades that makes the blades superior to those of other companies. I believe it.
    I really appreciate all the people who pushed me toward Ke Nalu. I feel pretty confident that it is a lot better than the V-drive or really any other paddle, including the hippostick. Learning how to hot glue was totally worth it.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best paddle for surfing.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
I don’t have a lot of experience but the Kialoa GLII paddle I got is sweet! My next paddle I’m going to try a Sunova Balsa.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:51:25 PM by rbgar »

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
Best surf paddle has to have an oval shaft for rapid re-alignment. I love my Chinook Thrust 92 paddle.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 12:34:37 AM »
Best surf paddle has to have an oval shaft for rapid re-alignment. I love my Chinook Thrust 92 paddle.
I agree about the importance of an oval shaft. But IMO a surf paddle should also have a t-handle. The Chinook has a Werner-style handle rather than a full t-handle (by which I mean the type that the Kialoa GL Surf or Black Peoject Surge, or even the Ke Nalu ergo-T paddies have, for instance). There’s something about a t-handle that makes it particularly easy to grab securely in a critical surf situation.

Unfortunately, I can seem to find any paddle currently on the market that has the following characteristics:

1. Oval shaft.
2. T-handle.
3. Blade size under 85 sq ins.

Does anyone know of one?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »
I agree about the importance of an oval shaft. But IMO a surf paddle should also have a t-handle. The Chinook has a Werner-style handle rather than a full t-handle (by which I mean the type that the Kialoa GL Surf or Black Peoject Surge, or even the Ke Nalu ergo-T paddies have, for instance). There’s something about a t-handle that makes it particularly easy to grab securely in a critical surf situation.

Unfortunately, I can seem to find any paddle currently on the market that has the following characteristics:

1. Oval shaft.
2. T-handle.

Does anyone know of one?

Sure. ZRE
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:52:14 AM »
Wow, that's a light paddle (ZRE 13oz), will it hold up in the surf?

Kialoa still has a couple of old school Pipes paddles in stock:

https://kialoa.com/products/pipes-stand-up-paddle-tiki-blem?utm_source=yotpo&utm_medium=general&utm_campaign=general&ref=yotpo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
Wow, that's a light paddle (ZRE 13oz), will it hold up in the surf?

Kialoa still has a couple of old school Pipes paddles in stock:

https://kialoa.com/products/pipes-stand-up-paddle-tiki-blem?utm_source=yotpo&utm_medium=general&utm_campaign=general&ref=yotpo

These 13oz and under ( mine is 11oz ) are more race paddles with very stiff shaft. for surf they have a slightly heavier flex shaft which they call
ocean grade. Along with the heavier T-grip you're probably looking at 16oz.
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
How would you compare the ZRE to your Hulu and Trifecta (for distance racing) Burchas?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:26:45 AM by Bean »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
How would you compare the ZRE to your Hulu and Trifecta (for distance racing) Burchas?

The Hulu at 87sqi is too big for my taste for distance racing. It also has a recoil that doesn't work
well with my race stroke. I like it for downwind.

ZRE has more bite and balanced stroke thus getting same results with a smaller blade (80sqi=86sqi Trifecta)
Works well for long distance. It's less prone to cavitation when tired (ZRE 90sqi and up blades has a lot more flutter though)

A while ago I rounded the tip my of ZRE 85 bring it down 2 about 82sqi so the catch is as soft as the Trifecta but the power is still there.
I use the Trifecta mainly as backup and a loaner.

As for the shaft, ZRE are superior to all of them. Has a lot to do with my personal taste for the oval and the fact I can ask for whatever
flex level I want from my shaft. Not to mention that with the kevlar wrapped shaft option, you get the a really nice fabric like texture which
is very nice and grippy.

Too bad they have a shitty website and zero ability to market all their advantages, but I guess they don't care as business always seems to be good.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:56:25 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
Thanks burchas, good stuff.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »

1. Oval shaft.
2. T-handle.

Does anyone know of one?

Sure. ZRE
Thanks. Well I should have set an upper price limit of 500 GBP as well.

ZRE are not currently available in the UK, as far as I can determine, and if I get a custom t-handle paddle shipped to me here, it will cost not far off twice the local price of eg. a QB hybrid v-drive, which I think you’ll agree is excessive. Shipping and taxes are very prohibitive here, unfortunately. Maybe if there was a local distributor, but our market for top end paddles may not be big enough.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »
ZRE are not currently available in the UK, as far as I can determine, and if I get a custom t-handle paddle shipped to me here, it will cost not far off twice the local price of eg. a QB hybrid v-drive, which I think you’ll agree is excessive. Shipping and taxes are very prohibitive here, unfortunately. Maybe if there was a local distributor, but our market for top end paddles may not be big enough.

As far as I remember they ship regularly to the UK. Check with Ryan James and crew in your area.
as for personal shipping and taxes, If you ship it in a configuration like mine (3 pieces) the cost is much
better.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal