Author Topic: Inflatable SUP longevity study  (Read 12314 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inflatable SUP longevity study
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
I have heard people talk about popping noises when they blow up an iSUP that was stored a while rolled up tight and I wondered if it was fibers snapping.

EDIT - and mine is rolled (more like folded) up and stashed in the crawlspace right now. It was my cheap intro to SUP and not a great board, but I hope it will last a while. I ran into a few owners of the same one that had them a while, so it is probably fine.

How to safely store your iSUP:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:24:22 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
Ha, ha, I'll gladly bash my 2015 Red.  It was twisted and Red warranty'd it, but failed to collect the original board.  So I sold the new replacement and used the twisted board for a "friend's board".  Within a couple of months, the dual layer delaminated creating huge bubbles (half of a basketball size) on the deck and one on the bottom.  Shortly after that, the seams started to show signs of separating.  Red admitted to glue issue with this board and my board was a clear example of a crummy glue job.  Funny enough, as the seam started separating more, the twist disappear.  This all happened in less then a year.

This board was barely used, rinsed after every use and and stored indoors.  Fast foward to last year when a friend showed up in town.  I pumped the board up and left it for him to use in a no sun area on the side of the house.  Sometime when no one was around, it exploded, smashing an aluminum pan along with some other nearby items.  First time I got mad.  Not because the board blew up, but because my friend wasn't paddling it at the time:)

Needless to say, I'll never trust one of these PVC toys again, I'll never paddle one in the open ocean and I'll never ever buy another Red.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »
Ha, ha, I'll gladly bash my 2015 Red.  It was twisted and Red warranty'd it, but failed to collect the original board.  So I sold the new replacement and used the twisted board for a "friend's board".  Within a couple of months, the dual layer delaminated creating huge bubbles (half of a basketball size) on the deck and one on the bottom.  Shortly after that, the seams started to show signs of separating.  Red admitted to glue issue with this board and my board was a clear example of a crummy glue job.  Funny enough, as the seam started separating more, the twist disappear.  This all happened in less then a year.

This board was barely used, rinsed after every use and and stored indoors.  Fast foward to last year when a friend showed up in town.  I pumped the board up and left it for him to use in a no sun area on the side of the house.  Sometime when no one was around, it exploded, smashing an aluminum pan along with some other nearby items.  First time I got mad.  Not because the board blew up, but because my friend wasn't paddling it at the time:)

Needless to say, I'll never trust one of these PVC toys again, I'll never paddle one in the open ocean and I'll never ever buy another Red.

They got a bad batch of glue, shipped some boards before they realized it, admitted it and replaced those boards. They probably didn't want to absorb the cost of having the bad boards shipped back. Maybe they should have, so people wouldn't press on with them and then review them like that was normal Red production quality.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 05:23:11 AM »
A little more to the story with Red and the glue situation (human production error rather than bad glue) but standard practice should have dictated that the original board was destroyed before the new one shipped out. They found the error in production process and quickly fixed it and honoured warrantees for much longer than the 1yr as stated on the box.

Fusion construction has done away with a lot of the human side of production (error potential) and glue used. I've got boards fully inflated for longer than I can remember in humid tropical conditions, just have to top them off every now and then. No issues at all.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
I have two Red Boards and unfortunately, there were defects with each board and each had to be replaced. However, I wasn’t upset, because I received excellent customer service from Red. Outstanding really. With each board they asked for a couple of pictures and then replaced the board. I just went into the dealer I bought them from and swapped them out.

I don’t care who the manufacturer is, every once in a while a faulty product will go out. So that has never been an issue with me, unless of course the manufacturer continually puts out faulty products. I don’t believe this is the case with Red. I was just unfortunate in that it happened to me twice. But it’s how a manufacturer deals with the customer who has bought the faulty product that I care about. And for me at least, Red came through with flying colours.

Should also mention that the replacement boards I received have been great. No issues whatsoever.

If I was in the market for another inflatable, it would be Red I'd be looking at.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:31:12 AM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
Thank you for all the feedback.  I made a video using some of what I learned here, from the survey, from personal experience, and from talking to customers and manufacturers and made a video with an honest comparison between inflatable boards and hard boards, comments are welcome:
https://youtu.be/IvS5L3icdeI
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
Thank you for all the feedback.  I made a video using some of what I learned here, from the survey, from personal experience, and from talking to customers and manufacturers and made a video with an honest comparison between inflatable boards and hard boards, comments are welcome:
https://youtu.be/IvS5L3icdeI

awesome thank you very much Blue Planet!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
Telling it like it is. Well done. Thanks Robert.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal