Author Topic: The Year In Physics  (Read 1890 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Year In Physics
« on: December 21, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »
I think I'm really glad I didn't have the math chops to be a physicist, which was what I wanted to be. Of course I'd be retired by now and any significant thought I had would have been 40 years ago, but still...

Quanta Newsletter just did a feature called "The Year In Physics" which I would sum up as "not much new, and everything we thought was new is broken". They did feature a nice photo of my favorite mathematical physicist, the remarkably hot and perfectly named Cohl Furey, but other than that. Yikes. Symmetry is busted (never liked it anyway), expansion as a driver in the early universe seems unlikely (was always a bit too much like "and then a miracle happened") Dark matter is probably not WIMPS, and Dark Energy conflicts with String Theory in ways that seem kind of obvious though I'm sure I'd have to understand a lot more to really understand why--other than just energy density not adding up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Year In Physics
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
Fun stuff. Is there a new neutrino?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »
Of course. Well...maybe.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »
Ain't that the truth! But, if they actually agree they found it...
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
Hi Bill

I think there has been a confirmation of an experiment that demonstrated entanglement. To quote a better mind than mine ...“Spooky action at a distance” . To me that was a highlight even though it defies all that my senses tell me should be real. How can the measurement of something here affect something over there....and the over there might be a light year away.....

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 07:07:32 PM »
Aloha FRP, Yep single particle at Griffith University. Uncle Albert wrong. Say it ain't so. But as you said seems to be very so!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:29:49 AM »
Interesting indeed, though I would point out that quantum entanglement as a phenomenon was first proposed in 1935 and the experiments to prove it functions as theorized were proposed in 1964.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
Yes Bill,

A long time in going from theory (1935) to successful experiment(2015) and then confirmation (2018). I have watched with high hopes many interesting theories vanish when put to the test.

For example my understanding is we still don’t have a clear idea of the age of the universe. 13.5 billion years but perhaps much shorter when measured another way. One apparently plausible solution is that they are both right......what the heck......how can they both be right??? And yet stranger things  have happened .........just look at entanglement.

Cheers

Bob
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:41:00 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal