Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 113907 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
It's not going to get easier at this point. Try my peanut butter on salted rice cakes as a snack. The rice cakes fill you up, and the peanut butter flavor stays with you for a while. I walked into the grocery store yesterday and I could smell the sugar coming from the bakery all the way across the store. It's crazy how much sweeter (almost too sweet) salad dressing, salsa, and tomato sauce tastes to me now. Even plain whole grain bread tastes like a pastry.

Maybe I should bring up the subject of intermittent fasting.....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »
It's not going to get easier at this point. Try my peanut butter on salted rice cakes as a snack. The rice cakes fill you up, and the peanut butter flavor stays with you for a while. I walked into the grocery store yesterday and I could smell the sugar coming from the bakery all the way across the store. It's crazy how much sweeter (almost too sweet) salad dressing, salsa, and tomato sauce tastes to me now. Even plain whole grain bread tastes like a pastry.

StandingDan does that. We were talking about it a few weeks ago on a distance paddle. The intermittent fasting is sustainable for him as a form of weight loss. I'm finding a reduced sugar path that is sustainable for me with an added benefit of losing weight. If you're just fasting but still consuming higher levels of sugar, then your not getting the improved health benefit of lowering your sugar intake.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
Hopefully not too far off topic, but...along with giving up alcohol and seriously watching my sugar intake, I also quit taking any vitamins and or supplements.
However,  in an effort to see if it would help my arthritis pain in my hands, shoulders and hips,  I started using liquid Tumeric that I first saw at Costco. From a company called Qunol . I still used some powdered raw tumeric in soups etc,  but this liquid stuff I can take a sip of every morning before breakfast and it tastes ok. It's 1000mg Curcumin and 9mg vitamin C.  10 Calories for a Tbsp serving. Been using it for a couple of months now and I really feel like it has helped. I can now make a fist when I first get up in the morning and I am not as stiff. Anyone else using Tumeric? 
P.S.  Since dropping the alcohol and substituting Almond Milk or V8 low sodium drink,  I have been keeping my weight pretty steady @156 lbs. My BMI is 123-124. Been way too cold for paddling lately,  but when I get seriously back to it my guess is my weight will get down near 150....my target.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »

I did the by day kind - 5:2 - where the 2 days are not total fasts, just very low total calories. The by hours one seems more popular. Anyway, I did 5:2 back in 2017 when I was early in the weight loss phase. I have been at a healthy weight for a year now, but trying to dial back sugar and balance my diet better. I really should eat more fat than I do. That's one reason I am subbing in peanuts instead of sugary snacks.

First 3 days - no grain, not even rice cakes. The only peanut butter in the house is Jif, with added sugar, so it is off the list for the cold turkey period. Hummus on celery is a decent snack.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
Hopefully not too far off topic, but...along with giving up alcohol and seriously watching my sugar intake, I also quit taking any vitamins and or supplements.
However,  in an effort to see if it would help my arthritis pain in my hands, shoulders and hips,  I started using liquid Tumeric that I first saw at Costco. From a company called Qunol . I still used some powdered raw tumeric in soups etc,  but this liquid stuff I can take a sip of every morning before breakfast and it tastes ok. It's 1000mg Curcumin and 9mg vitamin C.  10 Calories for a Tbsp serving. Been using it for a couple of months now and I really feel like it has helped. I can now make a fist when I first get up in the morning and I am not as stiff. Anyone else using Tumeric? 
P.S.  Since dropping the alcohol and substituting Almond Milk or V8 low sodium drink,  I have been keeping my weight pretty steady @156 lbs. My BMI is 123-124. Been way too cold for paddling lately,  but when I get seriously back to it my guess is my weight will get down near 150....my target.

I think you mean a BMI of 23 to 24 as I am guessing you are 5'8" like me. I have been hovering around 155 the last few months. I was more like 225 in early 2017 and then started working on getting in better shape. I got to 164 a year ago, which was my goal as that put me at 24.9, the first time at a healthy weight in decades. Since then I have drifted lower and decided I liked being in the 150s and now thinking about getting to 150.

My wife uses tumeric. I probably should. There is some good science behind that.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
Thanks for correcting that :).....yes, 23.4 at the moment. I'm 5'8 1/2" and my weight varies from 155-158. I weigh everyday and I can usually feel whether or not I have lost or gained.
Lost 30 lbs since taking up paddleboarding in 2014. We made what you would call a lifestyle change which was simply MORE exercise and better monitoring of what we eat using MyFitnessPal app and tracking exercise with Endomondo. Still tracking everything carefully. But this year the big thing for me is ditching alcohol. I still cheat with a little vodka in either my bloody mary or my grapefruit juice. Problem is my wife simply will not go along with ditching wine and or her vodka in the bloody mary. But I will continue to work on her. We are both staying pretty stable on our weight now and we both feel pretty good. I'm 68. She is 67 and still working as an accountant at home. I am now totally retired so I have the time to exercise twice a day if I want...and sometimes do. Life is good right now. Just want to stay healthy.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »
Problem is my wife simply will not go along with ditching wine and or her vodka in the bloody mary.

Check out Dry Farm Wines (https://www.dryfarmwines.com). We order our wine from them. They source the wine from small family-run operations in Europe who don’t add a ton of extra sugar and also let the yeast completely consume the natural sugar. They lab test each bottle. We usually get a mix of red/white. Plus side is that you feel 100 times better the next morning if you happen to have a few too many.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
Thanks for correcting that :).....yes, 23.4 at the moment. I'm 5'8 1/2" and my weight varies from 155-158. I weigh everyday and I can usually feel whether or not I have lost or gained.
Lost 30 lbs since taking up paddleboarding in 2014. We made what you would call a lifestyle change which was simply MORE exercise and better monitoring of what we eat using MyFitnessPal app and tracking exercise with Endomondo. Still tracking everything carefully. But this year the big thing for me is ditching alcohol. I still cheat with a little vodka in either my bloody mary or my grapefruit juice. Problem is my wife simply will not go along with ditching wine and or her vodka in the bloody mary. But I will continue to work on her. We are both staying pretty stable on our weight now and we both feel pretty good. I'm 68. She is 67 and still working as an accountant at home. I am now totally retired so I have the time to exercise twice a day if I want...and sometimes do. Life is good right now. Just want to stay healthy.
I am also using mfp to track and I have still been tracking after losing the weight; I am not sure I can become an intuitive eater. I track every day, though sometimes I don't bother with dinner and later if I know I am on track. I weigh often; never more than 3 days apart and sometimes every day for a while. I track miles paddling with Strava but don't integrate it with mfp as I think it is too high, so I enter by hand. Same with cardio at the gym. I also gave up alcohol, but in my case it was completely. That was 610 days ago and any assumption you make from me knowing exactly how many days is probably correct.

EDIT - Oh yeah, I am 60. I made my goal of turning 60 fit and trim. I will be tracking thoroughly the next several days. It's after dinner and I have only had 13g of sugar; 8g of that was in celery. 104g of protein and 75g of fat. 64g carbs and most of that was artichoke hearts and celery.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:24:12 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
You sound a little like me (wife says I am too anal about my fitness habits) ;D
You didn't say,  but are you married?  In my case,  having a partner with similar fitness and goals was important and I am sure we would not have been able to meet are goals if we weren't encouraging each other along the way. Cutting the wine and other alcohol is a work in progress  :o

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2019, 05:39:29 AM »
You sound a little like me (wife says I am too anal about my fitness habits) ;D
You didn't say,  but are you married?  In my case,  having a partner with similar fitness and goals was important and I am sure we would not have been able to meet are goals if we weren't encouraging each other along the way. Cutting the wine and other alcohol is a work in progress  :o

I am married, but it's been a very strained relationship for a number of years and unlikely to last much longer. It's pretty certain we are going different ways in retirement. She has heart trouble, is overweight, out of shape and smokes. It's not minor (not sure any heart trouble is) but she has never had a true heart attack. She had an event several years ago the doctor explained was not actually a heart attack, but she insists on calling it a heart attack. No surgery or devices, just meds and advice (lose weight, stop smoking). She talked a lot about healthy eating and losing until I started eating healthy and losing. At first she derided it, telling me I would fail and that I would gain it back. For the last year she just quit discussing it with me.

Separate rooms (full time), doesn't go to my work activities (I invite her) and does not invite me to hers nor to "plus one" activities with some other groups she is in. It's oddly cordial day to day. I bear a lot of the blame; I have (or hopefully had) a problem with alcohol and a mood disorder (the two are related). I would go off meds, take a deep dive and drink then lie about it. I have stayed on the meds about 2 years, I have not had a drink in over 600 days. I was "functional" - never missed work, no DUIs, didn't cause money trouble, etc, but still was a problem.  Anyway, she has decided that she will never trust me again and no longer wants to be physically or emotionally intimate. After she told me this, I expected her to leave or ask me to, but she didn't and just carries on like everything is fine.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but no, I am getting no help or encouragement at home.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2019, 06:54:47 AM »

I did the by day kind - 5:2 - where the 2 days are not total fasts, just very low total calories. The by hours one seems more popular. Anyway, I did 5:2 back in 2017 when I was early in the weight loss phase. I have been at a healthy weight for a year now, but trying to dial back sugar and balance my diet better. I really should eat more fat than I do. That's one reason I am subbing in peanuts instead of sugary snacks.

First 3 days - no grain, not even rice cakes. The only peanut butter in the house is Jif, with added sugar, so it is off the list for the cold turkey period. Hummus on celery is a decent snack.

I'm currently trying it but I was reading a couple of papers about it and the key that convinced me was:  to look at it as an exercise in nutritional timing - not a diet. In other words, you don't lower your necessary calories and if you're active, you need to cram your full days intake into the narrower window (8 hours in my case) and then fast appropriately for my other 16.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
I'm currently trying IF but I was reading a couple of papers about it and the key that convinced me was:  to look at it as an exercise in nutritional timing - not a diet. In other words, you don't lower your necessary calories and if you're active, you need to cram your full days intake into the narrower window (8 hours in my case) and then fast appropriately for my other 16.
Trimmed and edited so we are just talking IF. The jury is out as to whether there is much or anything to timing. Not a lot of hard science showing there is and a lot that shows there isn't. I think it matters to athletes that need max glycogen in the muscles or lots of protein available when working to build muscle.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:21 AM »
The jury is out as to whether there is much or anything to timing. Not a lot of hard science showing there is and a lot that shows there isn't. I think it matters to athletes that need max glycogen in the muscles or lots of protein available when working to build muscle.

There's been a couple of recent journal papers that looked at it that backed it. It didn't suggest performance would increase but health would (and weight may well reduce). It's a work in progress for me but I know a few athletes in other sports who have had great success with it. The one thing that has been discussed is that if you eat properly with IF, muscle maintence/building shouldn't be a problem..... but that's more complicated than it sounds when you've got less time to play with.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2019, 03:24:34 AM »
The jury is out as to whether there is much or anything to timing. Not a lot of hard science showing there is and a lot that shows there isn't. I think it matters to athletes that need max glycogen in the muscles or lots of protein available when working to build muscle.

There's been a couple of recent journal papers that looked at it that backed it. It didn't suggest performance would increase but health would (and weight may well reduce). It's a work in progress for me but I know a few athletes in other sports who have had great success with it. The one thing that has been discussed is that if you eat properly with IF, muscle maintence/building shouldn't be a problem..... but that's more complicated than it sounds when you've got less time to play with.

I can believe the strength/performance angle. On of the many places the old food as fuel analogy is over simplified is that there isn't just a single tank. There are glycogen stores all over the body and they can be emptied a lot faster than replenished.

As far as timing and weight management, the biggest one I read crushed all the other studies in raw numbers but the subjects were mostly sedentary - hospital patients. They did a study crunching numbers that were already in the system - meal times, nutritional content and patient weights; sorting it out by different timing parameters showed no difference.

After two days on the cold turkey no sugar diet, the scale says I lost 3 pounds but it is water. I am having a hard time staying hydrated. Drinking plenty of water, but it just moves right through me.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »
Dang it - didn't get back quick enough to edit. I was going to add one other thing. I think the cold turkey sugar diet should limit, rather than eliminate, starchy carbs the first few days. Eating just protein, fat and non starchy veggies is leaving me hungrier than I usually am. A sweet potato only has 5 grams of sugar per 100 grams; not likely to set my sweet tooth on fire or anything. I am sticking to it for now, but i suspect that a lot of people bail on it from the low carbs causing hunger. I think a mix of all 3 macros is far more satiating than any macro alone. Fat lacks the bulk to help much.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM