Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 113895 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »
Well, at least sometimes he apparently tries to cut down on his carbs. A little.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a20735488/donald-trump-eats-burger-with-half-a-bun/

And at his age, kitesurfing probably has to be replaced by golf for most people.

It's probably good for his health that he takes so much time to play golf.

Some people would probably prefer it is he played golf 100% of each day :)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2019, 09:10:46 AM »
given he drives his cart up on the greens when playing (perfect!), unlikely golf gets him much real exercise........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
given he drives his cart up on the greens when playing (perfect!), unlikely golf gets him much real exercise........
Shame. Maybe he should forgo the golf cart, since physical exercise boosts your IQ, especially in the elderly.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141010-why-exercise-boosts-iq

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2019, 08:49:33 AM »
 It's been pouring rain, wind chill into the low 40's and dirty water. It's hard to get motivated in those conditions. The sun was out, the rain is gone yesterday, so I paddled my first distance paddle in over 2 weeks. Last night I had a Rider's Club burger and a nice draft beer. This morning I weighed myself.... still losing weight. Just staying off the sugar.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
I have been cycling - good days and bad as far as sugar consumption. I do a fair amount of cardio; it's about all I can do at the gym besides legs and back extensions while my shoulders are out of commission (one from surgery, the other from a strain that will heal with PT). So I binge watch Hulu on the arc trainer about 3 times a week, an hour or two at a time. So even though I go crazy every now and then, I eat normally the rest of the time and the cardio knocks it out. My BMI remains below 24 - not that I think that's the greatest measure there ever was, but it's more objective than me just saying I am fit and trim, which I am saying.

That's just total calorie consumption versus burn, weight and body composition. All my vitals and blood tests from a January physical were great. My primary told me to just keep doing what I'm doing.

But I am seeing enough evidence about high sugar content and prepared foods to want to cut back. It's just been really hard. I really like a lot of the stuff and I do feel like I am depriving myself when I cut back much. Fruit helps me cut processed sugar out, but replaces it with natural sugar. I am not as convinced that sugar from fruits is as bad. In fact, I think processed sugar gets more blame than it should because it is found in heavily processed foods, which seem to have some association with health issues whether they are high sugar or not.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
I'm sleeping better than ever. My knees and feet don't ache anymore. I'm more tuned it to the flavors of the food I eat. The tiniest bit of sugar in a sauce, or dressing jumps out at me. I've even had a few beers this past week. I still eat a banana in the morning and another piece of fruit in the afternoon. I feel like I'm eating healthy, and I am losing weight. Plus I've gone down a waist size 8) 
It's not overhead to me!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
My sleep sucks, but I think that's currently due to stress. Diet changes may help, though.

I am torn about whether or not to drop any more weight. If I do, it will probably be only another 5 pounds. The big loss of about 60 pounds to get below a BMI of 25 ended a year ago and I have drifted down another 7-10 (bounces around) since then, where I have been pretty steady the last few months.

I do have lots of joint trouble. Whether I believe in it or not, I have factors that make it worth a try. It does concern me that it feels like an addiction when I try to kick sugar, even for a while. Actually, it was easier to stop drinking (day 608).
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Reminder.....we are NOT talking mental health here. ;)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »
Reminder.....we are NOT talking mental health here. ;)
Mental and physical health are more related than you might think.

It’s strange how we often think of one organ of our body (the brain), as somehow independent of the rest of our body. But it’s all one highly interconnected system, and the influences are bidirectional.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
Today marks 7 months that my wife and I have switched to a keto lifestyle. 197 when I started, 157 today. Has never felt like a "diet" or restrictive approach to food. Have been maintaining this weight for 3+ months now, not looking to lose any more. Just polished off a ribeye from a local farm, broccoli with ghee and a couple glasses of wine. Dessert was a glass of raw milk (my first time having that) and some macadamia nuts. So good.

Talldude, stoked you are still making progress!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
Today marks 7 months that my wife and I have switched to a keto lifestyle. 197 when I started, 157 today. Has never felt like a "diet" or restrictive approach to food. Have been maintaining this weight for 3+ months now, not looking to lose any more. Just polished off a ribeye from a local farm, broccoli with ghee and a couple glasses of wine. Dessert was a glass of raw milk (my first time having that) and some macadamia nuts. So good.

Talldude, stoked you are still making progress!
Thanks' Kayadogg. You guys missing SoCal? How's the CL addiction going there? How many Scotty C putters do you need to sell?  ::)
It's not overhead to me!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2019, 02:53:46 AM »
Thanks' Kayadogg. You guys missing SoCal? How's the CL addiction going there? How many Scotty C putters do you need to sell?  ::)

We’re pretty happy to be back in New England and I still get back out there for work every couple of months so that helps. We do miss Dana Point and San Clemente. The CL addiction has all but dried up. There’s nothing good available within a 3 hour drive. I still have my Stringify workflow app alert me when a new board gets posted in RI, MA, CT or NH but it’s never anything exciting. I still browse the Orange County CL though!

I’ve moved on from Scotty putters and as luck would have it, discovered an old surfer/golfer based out of Huntington Beach that makes amazing putters. That’s the latest addiction, especially this winter. Kristin doesn’t mind though, she said putters take up a lot less room than boards... which I think was permission to buy more?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:56:08 AM by kayadogg »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
This article hits a little too close to home:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/health/sugar-detox-food-drayer/index.html

I have my issues with addictive behavior and the short bit about sugar addiction is spooky. I am thinking about trying the program and the first thing that came into my mind was to cut loose and enjoy the rest of the day. Cutting artificial sweeteners as well makes sense in this context. As a former problem drinker, I think drinking NA beers would be a profoundly stupid idea. It's a lot easier not to drink if I never feel like it's Miller time.  A sugar free orange Monster first thing in the morning likely kicks the sweet tooth into high gear. I don't do that every morning, but sometimes.

Kind of interesting that even lactose is off the table to start with. I am going to have to eat a fair amount of nuts to keep from losing too much weight. I don't eat mammals, so I have mostly lean protein sources. I have recently switched from skinless chicken breasts to skinless thighs. I have gone so long without eating skin, butter and most other high fat foods that I have lost my taste for most of it. I do like unsalted roasted peanuts and raw pecans.

Anyway, I will give this a try starting tomorrow.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
They are not making it easy at work today - a birthday on day one of my cold turkey no sugar diet and for the first three days it's totally zip, nada, nothing - no sugar, no starchy veggies, no grain. Eggs with veggie only salsa for breakfast, salad and baked chicken for lunch, peanuts for snacking so far. i almost caved for an amazing looking pastry with the special occassion excuse, but summoned up the will power to walk away. It can only get easier, right? And in 3 days, I get an apple...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
It's not going to get easier at this point. Try my peanut butter on salted rice cakes as a snack. The rice cakes fill you up, and the peanut butter flavor stays with you for a while. I walked into the grocery store yesterday and I could smell the sugar coming from the bakery all the way across the store. It's crazy how much sweeter (almost too sweet) salad dressing, salsa, and tomato sauce tastes to me now. Even plain whole grain bread tastes like a pastry.
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM