Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 114027 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »
This professor did an interesting experiment to prove it is all about calorie consumption, eating almost nothing but junk food and losing 27 pounds in 2 months:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
What is really interesting is how much better his cholesterol counts got from losing the weight. His triglyceride level dropped dramatically. All while eating a diet that was 2/3 sweet snacks.

I think this kind of anecdote is misleading at best and sends out a disastrous message to those who need fundamental lifestyle changes. If you want to run a ferrari, you don't putting crap fuel in it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
It's been a month and a half now on my new Low Sugar eating habit. This past week has been raining a lot, so I haven't been able to paddle. My workout is just morning walks. I've committed to standing at my desk and utilizing my powered desk lift. Wearing my running shoes while I stand at my desk helps my feet and back (hardwood floor) not get sore. I'll stand all day, and sit at my desk if I work in the evenings. I haven't had ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cake and NO DONUTS :'(  since I started this new eating habit. I did have an almond croissant yesterday, which tasted crazy sweet to me. I remember them being kinda bland compared to donuts. I don't eat breakfast, as I've said before, other than a banana and a small glass of OJ. I drink decaf black coffee, probably 4 cups a day and lots of water. No sodas or sweat teas or lemonades, just water. I eat a lot of fish, but I always have. I eat a lot of taco's, but I always have. No real change in my lunches or dinners, and no calorie counting at all.
Still getting thinner, and my knee pains have almost disappeared. They used to pop going up and down stairs, now they are quiet.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:17:51 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
My new snack routine is one or two a day salted rice cakes (sad food) with a spread of peanut butter on them. It's filling with just enough salty sweet to kill the craving. I'll have one piece of fruit in the afternoon as well.
It's not overhead to me!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »
I cut back, but still have some high sugar days. Exercise is largely cardio on machine at the gym, binge watching Hulu or Netflix. Staying thin, but I do log all my calories and weigh often. At the end of this month, it will be a year of maintaining at a BMI below 25. My BMI stayed in the 30-34 range most of the time for several years before that. The few times it was below 30 were diets when I would get down to 27 at the lowest and never stayed that weight for more than a couple of months. I have been logging everything I eat nearly every day for ~20 months. On low sugar days, I often find myself  looking for something to eat before bed so I get enough calories; I really don't want to lose much more. So if I can wean off sugar and stick to that more of the time, I may be able to do like you and not eat too much if I don't track.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
I've never checked my BMI till now. I'm at 26.29. I guess that means I still have to lose weight. I knew that....
It's not overhead to me!

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
RTG,

if I may ask, after reading a lot of what you have done, congrats on losing the weight, but why are you hung up on bmi?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
My new snack routine is one or two a day salted rice cakes (sad food) with a spread of peanut butter on them. It's filling with just enough salty sweet to kill the craving. I'll have one piece of fruit in the afternoon as well.

Awesome work on the diet! 

I never understood nuts as a diet food.  A cup of peanuts has 830 calories.  A cup of cooked pasta has 220.  A cup of cheddar cheese has 530.  A cup of sugar has 774.  It is hard to find foods more packed with calories that nuts.  They feed nut paste to malnourished kids to pack on weight.  I consider it to be the absolute worst snack to have around the house.  Not only are they a caloric nightmare but they are delicious.  Just try to stop at the 4 (or 20) that are suggested.  :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »

I never understood nuts as a diet food.  A cup of peanuts has 830 calories.  A cup of cooked pasta has 220.  A cup of cheddar cheese has 530.  A cup of sugar has 774.  It is hard to find foods more packed with calories that nuts.  They feed nut paste to malnourished kids to pack on weight.  I consider it to be the absolute worst snack to have around the house.  Not only are they a caloric nightmare but they are delicious.  Just try to stop at the 4 (or 20) that are suggested.  :)
Oh I know.... I spread it thin. The peanut butter is 2 table spoons / serving (190 cal). I approximate half a serving (95) on my (30 cal) sad cakes. It's my 125 cal snack, but who's counting? A small Kirkland snack pack of peanuts is 260 cal.  The sad cakes are more filling to me compared to a snack pack of nuts. 
It's not overhead to me!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2019, 12:45:36 PM »
RTG,

if I may ask, after reading a lot of what you have done, congrats on losing the weight, but why are you hung up on bmi?
Because I cannot rationalize it to be something else; I have a normal sized frame and I am not an elite athlete so it is pretty accurate for me. I can step on the scale and know what it is. A better measure is BF%. I am probably around 15%, which would be a good goal even though it is low for my age, but I don't know for sure what my BF% is. I had a problem with rationalizing over the years, deciding that 180-185 was a good weight for me. I didn't want to be able to rationalize this time, so I picked a measure that is set in stone and I believe is accurate for me. 164 is 24.9 for me and I made a firm commitment to never go over again. I kept losing down into the mid 150s, which is what I am now. I bump up my daily calorie goal when I get close to 150 and bump it down if I am edging up toward 160. I have used the "how I feel, how satisfied I am with my appearance" method in the past and always got heavier again when I lost weight and event my lowest weights were not all that healthy.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2019, 12:47:53 PM »
I've never checked my BMI till now. I'm at 26.29. I guess that means I still have to lose weight. I knew that....
I'd ignore BMI.  It's skewed against men, tall people and fit people with muscle.  Try a few comparisons.  For me at 6'-1", the BMI says I'd be normal at 140 or more, and overweight at 190.  At 6'-7, 164 is normal, 222 is overweight--even more dumb for an adult male. 

Going the other way, a 5'-1" woman is normal at 98 or more (pretty realistic) and not overweight until 135.  A 135 pound woman at 5'-1" is a lot less skinny than a 222 pound. 6'-7" man.

You can say, well, the BMI's ranges include everyone, so of course the idea that, for instance, the "healthy" range for a given height doesn't mean the low end of healthy is appropriate for a muscular man, just as the high end of "healthy" isn't appropriate for a slightly built young woman.  But even then, it's skewed against taller people, and once you DO factor in type of build and amount of muscle, it becomes almost meaningless (and it never was meant to be used as anything other than a very rough estimation tool).

I've read that 100% of NFL players are above "healthy", and the vast majority of NBA players.  I'd guess the majority of fit adult men fall in the higher end of healthy and well up into "overweight".  It could be interesting to try a poll here--have people list their BMI, and say whether their score realistically describes their weight level.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »

I eat nuts for the same reason I eat more sugar than I probably should - I like nuts, especially pecans. I do eat them sparingly, weighing out 14g for a ~100 calorie snack, unless I have drifted down to a little lower weight than I like. I really don't care for rice cakes. I would rather get used to eating less volume of foods I like than eating a lot of foods I don't care for.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »
I'd ignore BMI.  It's skewed against men, tall people and fit people with muscle.  Try a few comparisons.  For me at 6'-1", the BMI says I'd be normal at 140 or more, and overweight at 190.  At 6'-7, 164 is normal, 222 is overweight--even more dumb for an adult male. 

Going the other way, a 5'-1" woman is normal at 98 or more (pretty realistic) and not overweight until 135.  A 135 pound woman at 5'-1" is a lot less skinny than a 222 pound. 6'-7" man.

You can say, well, the BMI's ranges include everyone, so of course the idea that, for instance, the "healthy" range for a given height doesn't mean the low end of healthy is appropriate for a muscular man, just as the high end of "healthy" isn't appropriate for a slightly built young woman.  But even then, it's skewed against taller people, and once you DO factor in type of build and amount of muscle, it becomes almost meaningless (and it never was meant to be used as anything other than a very rough estimation tool).

I've read that 100% of NFL players are above "healthy", and the vast majority of NBA players.  I'd guess the majority of fit adult men fall in the higher end of healthy and well up into "overweight".  It could be interesting to try a poll here--have people list their BMI, and say whether their score realistically describes their weight level.

My BMI is 23.6 now. I am a 5'8" 60 year old man and I think I am fit and trim now. Muscular, but not bulked up. Visible abs but not a 6 pack. If I lost 10 pounds, down to 145, I think I would still look okay. That would be 22. Below that, I think I would like kind of scrawny. I don't think the whole BMI range is valid for anyone, but I think the healthy range for most people is within the normal BMI range or maybe mostly overlaps at the high end. If you work out a lot and build up your chest and shoulders, I think you can be a little over and still be healthy. This forum is not a cross section of the population.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »

I eat nuts for the same reason I eat more sugar than I probably should - I like nuts, especially pecans. I do eat them sparingly, weighing out 14g for a ~100 calorie snack, unless I have drifted down to a little lower weight than I like. I really don't care for rice cakes. I would rather get used to eating less volume of foods I like than eating a lot of foods I don't care for.

I get it.  All the same, a cup of Ben and Jerry's Triple Caramel Chunk has 560 calories in a cup so if you have a cup of nuts on the regular schedule you can switch to the ice cream and call it a diet :).

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2019, 04:57:55 AM »

Calories are not the only thing to consider. Carbs and glucose play a huge role in weight gain. I eat 33g of salted macadamia nuts every day. I do weigh them out and I know it’s easy to overeat nuts but one serving of Mac nuts will keep me much more satiated than a high carb food. Not trying to go down the whole calories in/calories out thing because I strongly disagree with that mindset but it’s much more about the macronutrient breakdown than the straight calorie count.

And Matt, keep up the great work! The other day I surfed a 7’4x25” 72L stand up board wearing full rubber. I owe it all to eating nuts  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:00:20 AM by kayadogg »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »

Calories are not the only thing to consider. Carbs and glucose play a huge role in weight gain. I eat 33g of salted macadamia nuts every day. I do weigh them out and I know it’s easy to overeat nuts but one serving of Mac nuts will keep me much more satiated than a high carb food. Not trying to go down the whole calories in/calories out thing because I strongly disagree with that mindset but it’s much more about the macronutrient breakdown than the straight calorie count.

And Matt, keep up the great work! The other day I surfed a 7’4x25” 72L stand up board wearing full rubber. I owe it all to eating nuts  ;D

I think what you are getting at is there is a difference between eating solely to lose or gain weight and eating to be healthy and that it's best to do both. If your only consideration is weight, then calories in/calories out (CICO) is absolutely valid - it's physics; doing x amount of work requires y amount of energy. But if you eat stuff that makes you feel like crap, then you end up doing less and x is a smaller number.

Another problem with CICO is that neither number CI or CO that you come up with is not going to be absolutely correct. I weigh everything I can, but sometimes that isn't practical. I eat something that someone brought in at work or at a restaurant and I have to pick something that seems about right from the list when I record it. When I go to the gym, I don't believe the fantasy numbers the cardio machines give me for burn and I log something lower but it's an estimate. I don't really know how much I burn as a base number to add the additional exercise to. The idea that the inaccuracies will cancel each other out is flawed; most people have a tendency to underestimate CI and overestimate CO. l know this and tend to be too conservative and go the other way. I keep dropping to the bottom of my range and have to up calories until I get to the middle, try to keep it even and start dropping again. When I didn't weigh and track as often as I could, I went the other way and gained a lot of weight.

The issue of satiety is important also. If the nuts keep you from feeling hungry and you eat fewer calories over time it doesn't matter if they are calorie dense. A lot of people can't stick to healthy eating because they have some non filling calorie dense foods they eat regularly. They are too hungry if they cut those calories out of the rest of the day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:28:11 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal