Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 113891 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
decided to go very low sugar during shoulder rehab and see how i feel about it in 3 months. no candy snacks. one serving of an offered home made dessert will be an exemption, as will finishing off some protein bars as occasional in a rush going to gym in the morning or forgot my lunch meal substitute. no canned fruit, or just about anything else pre sweetened
Ditch the dessert and the protein bars. You think you need them. But you don’t. They’ll just make you want more desserts and protein bars, that’s all.

i just looked up the protein bars - pure protein brand - and the 50g bars i have each have 20g whey protein and claim only 2-3g sugar. look close at ingredients - 8g "sugar alcohol". wtf? read their warnings on them. ok, these are going away.

dessert exemption will be very rare and i night get rid of it. i just don't want to start cravings by deciding "never ever". i play a lot of mind games with myself.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »
Yeah, most of these “protein bars” and other convenience “sports” stuff is just crap your body can do without. They’ll make you feel worse, not better. If you need a snack on the go, buy a bag of unsalted nuts, drink a load of water, and maybe have a coffee with plenty of cream (no milk), if you can tolerate caffeine. Most raw fruit in moderate amounts is OKish too, and any amounts of vegetables you can eat. Try e.g. raw carrot or celery with hummus, or munch away on a tomato. Basically, try to avoid nearly all of the stuff that advertising is trying to get you to eat. They want to make you fat and depressed. Give them the traditional salute you’d give anyone who wants to ruin your life while filling their pockets with your money.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »
decided to go very low sugar during shoulder rehab and see how i feel about it in 3 months. no candy snacks. one serving of an offered home made dessert will be an exemption, as will finishing off some protein bars as occasional in a rush going to gym in the morning or forgot my lunch meal substitute. no canned fruit, or just about anything else pre sweetened
Ditch the dessert and the protein bars. You think you need them. But you don’t. They’ll just make you want more desserts and protein bars, that’s all.

i just looked up the protein bars - pure protein brand - and the 50g bars i have each have 20g whey protein and claim only 2-3g sugar. look close at ingredients - 8g "sugar alcohol". wtf? read their warnings on them. ok, these are going away.

dessert exemption will be very rare and i night get rid of it. i just don't want to start cravings by deciding "never ever". i play a lot of mind games with myself.
Sugar's noddy cousin. Sugar Alcohol. 
https://www.joslin.org/info/what_are_sugar_alcohols.html
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2019, 04:41:13 AM »
sugar alcohols are considered to be a potential factor for some with ibs

see fodmaps diet

fortunately my daughter's ibs (or whatever ailed her) disappeared when she went vegan.....and ceased with awful eating habits she had as a HS kid---her "ibs" had me very anxious--so relieved it's over

at one point i was trying to get her to try the "FODMAPS" diet, which seeks to eliminate sugar alcohols

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 06:31:10 AM »
In fairness, you should read this article on the study through or at least go to the end and back up 5 paragraphs:
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/sugar-keeps-good-microbes-at-bay/

The gut microbe it is suppressing in mice is found in normal quantities in the general population (of people). There are a few other caveats about applying the study to people, but that's the big one.  But if it does odd things to protein production in rats, that's a concern even if we don't seem to have the same outcome wth regards to the particular gut bacteria.

I am still doing the low sugar approach. Last night, for the first time in a while, I was looking around for a snack to get my calories up to 1500, which is considered minimum healthy amount for an adult male on a sedentary day. Averaging across days is fine so ending up a little short, which I did, is okay.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
It was one month ago yesterday that I cut back on my sugar intake. The only real difference I’ve noted is that I’m now having a difficult time keeping weight on.

I’ve always had a pretty major sweet tooth. A normal day for me would be to have at least one medium size chocolate bar during the day and two large chocolate chip cookies after dinner. There would also usually be some kind of snack in the evening. And of course never thinking about the sugar content of fruit, I would start the day by having at least one banana as part of my breakfast. So for the last month I’ve cut all this out. I still snack in the evening, but it’s usually popcorn, or nuts or something else with not a lot of sugar.

So when I was eating all the sugar, I had to watch my weight very carefully. I’m not a big guy. I normally weigh in around 150 pounds. It took a lot of effort to keep my weight from going above 150 pounds when I was eating all the sugar. I had to control my meal portions and would also fast occasionally.

Now, without the sugar, it takes a lot of effort to keep my weight from falling to far below 150 pounds. Where I used to take a small portion at dinner, I’ll now have two helpings.

It has been quite an eye opener to see just how much weight I was adding with the sugar I was eating. I should also clarify that during this past month I’ve had a pretty major cold so really haven’t been very active. Not sure how that figures into everything, other than I suspect when I do finally get over this cold, it is going to be even more difficult to keep weight on.

One final note. The only thing I can say I miss is having my sugar fix after dinner. Used to really enjoy those chocolate chip cookies!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »
So it's been just over a month since I decided to try and eliminate alcohol. I still put a small amount of Barnett's Lime Vodka on top of my evening bloody mary...but I have even cut back on those too. Have been using non-alcohol beer like Beck's to satisfy my desire for something quenching my thirst after workouts. I don't drink much beer,  but I see this as a lower sugar alternative to my favorite Grapefruit juice coctail...again,  with a few drops of lime vodka.
I am not missing the alcohol and I honestly think I am sleeping better and overall just feel better. I am drinking a lot more green tea and black coffee and I am peeing a lot more :).....I am slowly loosing some weight,  but I think I have found my balance and won't go much lower.
One more thing,  I have started eating more celery (either with a dab of peanut butter or with hummus. This keeps me from feeling hungry and it works well for me.
So,  having just turned 68,  I am feeling pretty good and still paddle as often as possible. (did 4 1/5 miles on my birthday in 45 degree temps....so I am not letting the cold air stop me. Hard to get motivated though when it is that cold......falling in is NOT an option).  More protein and more liquids.....and keeping the sugar intake to the minimum...that's my goal this year.
SUGAR is the enemy!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
I eliminated alcohol 583 days ago and I think it has helped a lot my general health. I was almost 70 pounds heavier at the time. It wasn't just giving up alcohol. I also got smarter about what and how much I ate and got more active, including paddling which I had taken a break from. I switched from kayak to SUP and caught fire with it; this is the most I have enjoyed a hobby in a long time.

I was concerned about turning 60 overweight, out of shape and drinking too much. I didn't.

I have cut back on sugar recently, but don't really want to give it up completely. The study that started the discussion showed end result of the sugar in mice was a reduction in a particular beneficial gut bacteria. Despite people eating a lot of sugar, low levels of the gut bacteria is rare. I do get most my sugar from fruit and veggies; I reduced the sweet treats. I felt great before, so it's not surprising that there hasn't been any noticeable improvement.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2019, 08:27:23 AM »
So I started this December 21st, 2018. I survived Christmas with only one dessert. My sisters vegan dinner helped and was great BTW. Here I am now just about one month later.
I was 245 lbs.

It's not overhead to me!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
So I started this December 21st, 2018. I survived Christmas with only one dessert. My sisters vegan dinner helped and was great BTW. Here I am now just about one month later.
I was 245 lbs.

Congratulations! That's moving along at a pretty good clip. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound of fat, so if it was all fat loss that would be a deficit of 31,500 calories for the month, meaning on average you burned 1,000 calories more than you consumed each day. It's probably actually a little less than that as it is inevitable that we lose a little bit of lean body mass also, which provides fewer calories per pound. It is a heck of a lot easier to feel full eating low calorie fiber, protein and fat than it is eating sugar.

This professor did an interesting experiment to prove it is all about calorie consumption, eating almost nothing but junk food and losing 27 pounds in 2 months:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
What is really interesting is how much better his cholesterol counts got from losing the weight. His triglyceride level dropped dramatically. All while eating a diet that was 2/3 sweet snacks.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
Thanks RideTG. I haven't had a cookie or donut in a month. Not sweetened drinks other that a splash of OJ on the rocks with water. My go to snack is Quaker Oats salted puffed rice cakes with a light spread peanut butter. My daughter calls it my sad food. Also an apple and other fruit. Maybe two a day. As per KayaDoggs suggestion, I bought Lily's brand dark chocolate and almond bars with Stevia sweetener. I crack off a few here and there as a rare treat. I was adding Stevia to my coffee, but I started tasting it in my mouth all day. Now I don't add anything to my coffee. I buy darker coffee blends now to. So many different bean flavors that had forgotten about.
I eat my same lunch and dinners. Breakfast, just banana, OJ, coffee, sometimes a sad rice disk with PB. I stand at my desk instead of sitting every day now. It's easier because my knees and feet don't hurt anymore.
It's not overhead to me!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
I have always been a black coffee drinker. Sometimes a skinny latte but that's rare. I also don't care for stevia. I drink a lot of water and not much else, which eliminates what is a big source of calories for a lot of people. I eat mostly lean protein. I end up with a lot of "discretionary calories". I don't want to lose much more weight, so I have to eat them. that's when I make questionable choices.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »
TallDude, congrats! Keep it up. If you're up for another suggestion and want to feel pretty full just by having some coffee, add some MCT oil and a tablespoon of butter (real butter not the fake crap). Use a milk frother or small blender for the best result. Tastes delicious and will be about 250-300 calories of fat and will keep you very full. I mostly drink black coffee but go to this "bulletproof" type coffee now and then. Just be careful with the MCT oil. You'll find yourself in the bathroom if you overdo it. Work up to a tablespoon as you get used to it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
TallDude, congrats! Keep it up. If you're up for another suggestion and want to feel pretty full just by having some coffee, add some MCT oil and a tablespoon of butter (real butter not the fake crap). Use a milk frother or small blender for the best result. Tastes delicious and will be about 250-300 calories of fat and will keep you very full. I mostly drink black coffee but go to this "bulletproof" type coffee now and then. Just be careful with the MCT oil. You'll find yourself in the bathroom if you overdo it. Work up to a tablespoon as you get used to it.
I do steamed almond milk at SB now an then. They use sweetened almond milk, so there is a little sugar in it, but it's about the equivalent of sugar I get having ketchup on a burger. I'm lactose intolerant so I can't do the real butter or milk additives. Being LI I read a lot of labels, so now I'm looking at the sugar content in everything as well. BTW, those Lily's chocolate bars are sooo good:) Thanks! It's my only real dessert in very small bites. Hanohano was really fun this year. We did whisky shots and Modello's in the parking lot after the race. I did pretty good in the race. About the same as last time I did the race. I really wanted to win that OC-1!   
It's not overhead to me!

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »
For those that are interested on learning why sugar is bad for our bodies, this is a a great video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
The sequel is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
Basically, processed fructose is bad for us, because only the liver can metabolize it.  Consuming a 12 oz soda each day can lead to 15# of weight gain each year.  This easiest diet is minimizing sugar in your diet, prohibiting sugar sweetened (and artificial sweeteners) beverages. Much like alcohol, excess causes adverse effects.  Fruit is ok as long it is a whole food. (blender = good, juicer = bad).
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM