Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 113877 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2019, 05:03:17 AM »
My approach was merely to aim to eat as natural and unprocessed as I could at as many meals as possible.

Small meals make me angry.  They never satisfy, make me think of food all day and keep me slow.  Something small with coffee in the AM and one big meal does it for me.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2019, 05:08:09 AM »
Good work chaps!

I've known for some time (years!) that sugar is the big cause of weight gain but have repeatedly struggled with suitable substitutions in my daily diet.

I'm not super fat but have chub and would like to trim it down. No food leaves me feeling full for very long and I like to eat. Regular grazing is hard to avoid and when I've tried to exclude that grazing, I've just found myself really really thinking about needing food!

Any tips?
Everyone has to find the right thing for them. But in my case it is a Keto-type diet, with low carbs (and definitely no sugar), and plenty of fibre, fat and protein. The fat keeps me full, and I have lost about 14lbs without even trying. For me, carbs make me hungry: All carbs seem to do is feed my hunger! Protein, fibre and fat all seem to stabilise my blood sugar, and without that see-sawing, I don’t get as hungry. So, for me, it’s a diet without dieting. It’s strange at first to be avoiding all bread, beer, potatoes, rice, pasta etc (and of course no sweets, cakes, or candy etc), but you soon get used to it. Now I use cream by the bucketload and lose weight! It’s strange to actually be looking for high fat foods after decades of being told it will make me fat. But actually it seems to help me lose weight, not gain it. We certainly have been totally lied to all these years, by the sugar lobby. In time we will probably come to see the sugar industry as as evil as the tobacco one. It has led to a lot of deaths and disability IMO.

What are you using as snacks? Thats my challenge! Or do you find that you don't need them once you've pushed past a certain point of weaning off the sugars?
Yes, without the carbs, I just don’t get the same level of cravings for snacks - or any food, really. But if I do have a snack, I have nuts, or some cheese, or a modest amount of high fat Greek yoghurt, or a bowl of berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries etc) with lashing of double cream!

But I start the day with a 3-egg cheese omelette and quite often find that at the end of the day I’ve forgotten to have lunch, but haven’t really noticed.

As I say, everyone is different so VMMV. But for me, carbs make me crave more carbs, and that is about all the good they do. I’m even producing PBs with my paddling on the low-carb diet. I was worried that low carbs would mean that I felt a lack of energy when out paddling. But after a couple of weeks of adjustment, now I’m finding I actually can paddle longer and harder (up to about 1.5 hrs) than back when I was carb-loading and carrying a Camelbak full of sugary goop.

Basically, for me at least, pretty much everything I had read about, and thought was true about how I should be eating in order to stay active and maintain a sensible weight as a middle-aged man, has turned out to be not true.

Gotta keep the fibre up though if you drop the carbs, IMO. So get used to large plates of vegetables and salad. You can eat pretty much as much of that as you like though, and put butter on them.

I find that around 50g of carbs a day is about right for me. It’s not a disaster to go 75. Below 50 takes an effort to organise. Above 75 and I start feeling hungry again, put on weight, have sleepiness after meals, generally feel less sharp, and paddle slower.

Using the defaults from my tracking app, my goal is over 200g of carbs. I might try changing up the mix and adding more fat. I did eat full fat Greek yogurt a lot while losing. I add PB2 to yogurt a lot and sometimes unsweetened applesauce. If you add more protein, you just break down the excess into carbs. I am going to give lowering sugar substantially a try. I have shoulder surgery tomorrow. No breakfast, not sure I will feel like having lunch, but the pain med I will be taking might require something. I am going to use Sprix, this crazy strong NSAID that you take as a nasal mist but still affects your stomach somehow. I had some issues with opioids and alcohol after previous surgeries. Day 571 fixing that. But step one will still be a lot of carbs, just ones with little sugar like bananas and bread. I have a stash of sweets at the office that is running low and I just won't restock it. I am still going to have the odd one here and there and see how it goes.

Reading some links from this thread and doing more research is changing my mind about sugar.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
Good work chaps!

I've known for some time (years!) that sugar is the big cause of weight gain but have repeatedly struggled with suitable substitutions in my daily diet.

I'm not super fat but have chub and would like to trim it down. No food leaves me feeling full for very long and I like to eat. Regular grazing is hard to avoid and when I've tried to exclude that grazing, I've just found myself really really thinking about needing food!

Any tips?
Everyone has to find the right thing for them. But in my case it is a Keto-type diet, with low carbs (and definitely no sugar), and plenty of fibre, fat and protein. The fat keeps me full, and I have lost about 14lbs without even trying. For me, carbs make me hungry: All carbs seem to do is feed my hunger! Protein, fibre and fat all seem to stabilise my blood sugar, and without that see-sawing, I don’t get as hungry. So, for me, it’s a diet without dieting. It’s strange at first to be avoiding all bread, beer, potatoes, rice, pasta etc (and of course no sweets, cakes, or candy etc), but you soon get used to it. Now I use cream by the bucketload and lose weight! It’s strange to actually be looking for high fat foods after decades of being told it will make me fat. But actually it seems to help me lose weight, not gain it. We certainly have been totally lied to all these years, by the sugar lobby. In time we will probably come to see the sugar industry as as evil as the tobacco one. It has led to a lot of deaths and disability IMO.

This. I've been eating this way for 6 months and it's a breeze now. I've been traveling for the past week for business and it's sustainable even living out of hotel rooms. If you happen to be near In-N-Out, order a Flying Dutchman, mustard-fried!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »

If you add more protein, you just break down the excess into carbs.

This is a common misconception that has been disproven. Not that everything you read online is fact but here's an article that lays it out well:

https://perfectketo.com/how-too-much-protein-is-bad-for-ketosis/

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2019, 09:22:17 AM »

If you add more protein, you just break down the excess into carbs.

This is a common misconception that has been disproven. Not that everything you read online is fact but here's an article that lays it out well:

https://perfectketo.com/how-too-much-protein-is-bad-for-ketosis/

That is written by a sports chiropractor. Hereis an article I read:

https://www.popsci.com/not-in-ketosis

Where the claim about proteins breaking down into carbs is made by a dietitian. Just because she is board certified after a substantial amount of education at an accredited college or university on food science doesn't mean she is more knowledgeable about this than a chiropractor, but I think it is pretty likely.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »
An interesting article on a new suggested diet that is better for us and the planet:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/new-diet-to-save-lives-and-planet-health-study-intl/index.html

One of the reasons I don't eat beef or pork is because of the impact it has. It isn't a possible food source for everyone because it would utilize too many resources.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
I enjoy these discussions for many reasons, one is I'm fat and I'd like to not be. Another is the very strange fact that while much of the world deals with an unbalanced diet because they can't afford better, the number of people who die from improper food or starvation is much smaller than the number who die as a direct result of obesity, and the amount of money spent just in the USA on diets to lose weight would be more than enough famine and diet-imbalanced caused deaths worldwide. Of course there's no useful way to change that, I just appreciate the irony.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
My approach was merely to aim to eat as natural and unprocessed as I could at as many meals as possible.

Small meals make me angry.  They never satisfy, make me think of food all day and keep me slow.  Something small with coffee in the AM and one big meal does it for me.

I'm trying to imagine what you mean by small meals. I can't begin to reconcile the meals I've watched you eat with the theoretical idea of "small".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
I enjoy these discussions for many reasons, one is I'm fat and I'd like to not be. Another is the very strange fact that while much of the world deals with an unbalanced diet because they can't afford better, the number of people who die from improper food or starvation is much smaller than the number who die as a direct result of obesity, and the amount of money spent just in the USA on diets to lose weight would be more than enough famine and diet-imbalanced caused deaths worldwide. Of course there's no useful way to change that, I just appreciate the irony.
Another bit of irony from studies is that the most successful diets, as far as losing weight and keeping it off, are the cheapest - no special foods, no meal replacement shakes/bars (at least not regularly), no restrictive menus, etc; just proper portions and balancing calories consumed with calories burned. Most money spent on weight loss is totally wasted. Losing weight should save money on groceries. That's how it worked for me this time and Have kept my BMI under 25 for almost 11 months so far. This is far and away the most success I have had in decades. The lowest goal weight and the longest at or below goal. It actually hasn't been that hard.

Eating to be healthy at your weight is another matter. I am about to give this reduced sugar idea a try. Going a little crazy today and starting tomorrow after my shoulder surgery. Cut out the sugary snacks and start getting thigh meat instead of skinless breasts. I work best with going cold turkey - line in the sand. It's 8:30 here and I can't eat past midnight, so it's about to begin.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2019, 12:27:25 AM »

Another bit of irony from studies is that the most successful diets, as far as losing weight and keeping it off, are the cheapest - no special foods, no meal replacement shakes/bars (at least not regularly), no restrictive menus, etc; just proper portions and balancing calories consumed with calories burned.

I don't believe this (at least, not in the UK). Eating fresh (if you want the variety you need or fancy organic) requires considerably more cost than crap ready meals and dodgy pizza's. That's part of the reason why we have an obesity crisis - cost and convenience.

Also, I've recently returned from my usual holiday in the states and I was struck (still) by how badly stocked several supermarkets are out there in comparison to our own here (although I did see an increase in gluten free and organic produce from previous years).

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2019, 03:44:07 AM »

Another bit of irony from studies is that the most successful diets, as far as losing weight and keeping it off, are the cheapest - no special foods, no meal replacement shakes/bars (at least not regularly), no restrictive menus, etc; just proper portions and balancing calories consumed with calories burned.

I don't believe this (at least, not in the UK). Eating fresh (if you want the variety you need or fancy organic) requires considerably more cost than crap ready meals and dodgy pizza's. That's part of the reason why we have an obesity crisis - cost and convenience.

Also, I've recently returned from my usual holiday in the states and I was struck (still) by how badly stocked several supermarkets are out there in comparison to our own here (although I did see an increase in gluten free and organic produce from previous years).
Yes, I agree. In Europe it is expensive to eat well, and takes a lot of time and effort to source the best foodstuffs. There is a whole fast food industry that is determined to make us fat, give us diabetes, and kill us young. They are very good at what they do: getting cheap food lacking in biological value, into your hands. The poorer you are, the more successful they are in doing that.

There is also a strong cultural element. I remember a French colleague of mine being totally baffled by a sign we were looking at in London that said “All you can eat for [price]”. She asked why we don’t buy the BEST food we can get for our money, not the MOST. It’s a good question.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2019, 05:10:34 AM »
I'm trying to imagine what you mean by small meals. I can't begin to reconcile the meals I've watched you eat with the theoretical idea of "small".

Hah!  I don't eat small meals.  Meals and snacking slow me down and I hate that feeling.  I go for one big meal a day.  That way I stay energized, and I am hungry by feed time.  The notion that a little hunger will kill you is a big problem.  A lot of people's whole day is consumed by eating.  When we have visitors I feel like one meal ends just as the next is starting...and then the snacks.  That seems crazy to me (but I am sure they think the same of my way :) ).  I like eating to satisfaction when I eat.  It is really hard to overdo it in a single meal.

PS:  And now I am going to go Facebook on you.  I just made a few loaves of overstuffed bread that turned out sensational.

Carmelized  Onion, Kalamata, Asiago, dusted with Cornmeal
Jalapeno, Red Pepper, Manchego

MMMmm!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:21:31 AM by Admin »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »
typing one handed today, not quoting doubters about saving money or capitalizing...

note my post was in 2 parts. the saving money part was about losing weight without buying specialty weight loss products or highly restrictive menus. mostly same food only less of it costs less money.

on the second part, it kind of depends on what standards you use for healthy food. i get big bags of individually frozen raw skinless chicken filets, frozen shrimp in bulk when on sale and while i really like mahi and grouper, i also enjoy haddock and even whiting and croaker. store brand yogurt, cheese, eggs, rice, dry beans, etc. my fresh produce doesn't usually come from the organic section and i am okay with cheap bagged salads like marketside. i eat grain products with gluten. i save a lot of money making my own meals compared to fast food.

i did have my facts sort of wrong in my post. 55% of those who lost weight and kept it off did it with "the help of some kind of program".
http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

i say sort of wrong because using a calorie goal and tracking what you eat (i use myfitnesspal) is considered a kind of program even though i have no restriction past calorie total and a suggested macro ratio i can change. eating a keto diet or following any sort of guideline is considered a program.

on the subject of eating healthy, if you insist on free range eggs, organic meat/produce and avoid virtually all additives, it is more expensive.

edit to add - in 6 weeks i will qualify to add my data to the national weight loss registry. it will be 1 year with my bmi below 25, which was my goal. currently it is 23.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:53:24 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
decided to go very low sugar during shoulder rehab and see how i feel about it in 3 months. no candy snacks. one serving of an offered home made dessert will be an exemption, as will finishing off some protein bars as occasional in a rush going to gym in the morning or forgot my lunch meal substitute. no canned fruit, or just about anything else pre sweetened
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »
decided to go very low sugar during shoulder rehab and see how i feel about it in 3 months. no candy snacks. one serving of an offered home made dessert will be an exemption, as will finishing off some protein bars as occasional in a rush going to gym in the morning or forgot my lunch meal substitute. no canned fruit, or just about anything else pre sweetened
Ditch the dessert and the protein bars. You think you need them. But you don’t. They’ll just make you want more desserts and protein bars, that’s all.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM