Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 114034 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:15 PM »
Food for thought......:)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Just hit 239 lbs today :) I haven't been in the 230's range in over 3 years. My sugar cravings have diminished considerably. My exercise routine is the same.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:33 AM »
I weighed in at 153 this morning, down 70 pounds since Summer 2017.  I want to push to a low weight before shoulder surgery in a week, as I fear I could gain a few when I am an inactive slug for a while. Hoping the get down to 150 and stay around it for paddling this year. When I go offshore fishing on the big Glide, I want to be able to walk around on it like the deck of a ship.  :)
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:35 AM »
Oh yeah, meant to add to that last post I am still in denial about the evils of sugar. I will probably change my tune in a week when I get shoulder surgery. I will be forced to be somewhat inactive for a bit, lowering my overall calorie limit and giving me less "discretionary" calories. Until then, I will eat all the things and then go jump on a cardio machine and binge watch something on my phone.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2019, 08:05:15 AM »
Oh yeah, meant to add to that last post I am still in denial about the evils of sugar.

I'm curious as to why you're in denial that it's evil? Is it simply because you're able to eat sugar and still lose weight?

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
Oh yeah, meant to add to that last post I am still in denial about the evils of sugar.

I'm curious as to why you're in denial that it's evil? Is it simply because you're able to eat sugar and still lose weight?
Pretty much, but also because the reason I do eat them is that is that I really like a lot of the sugary treats. One common reason people fail to keep weight off is denying themselves food they really like during weight loss and then allowing them again, so I got used to rationing so it has been easier to maintain. I probably just need to slowly drop the rationed amount. I have still been logging everything every day even though I have been in maintenance ten and a half months. If I continue to do that, and because of past failures I think I have to, it should be easier to slowly cut back. Kind of sucks to keep logging everything, but I have accepted that I cannot eat intuitively and stay at a healthy weight.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Good work chaps!

I've known for some time (years!) that sugar is the big cause of weight gain but have repeatedly struggled with suitable substitutions in my daily diet.

I'm not super fat but have chub and would like to trim it down. No food leaves me feeling full for very long and I like to eat. Regular grazing is hard to avoid and when I've tried to exclude that grazing, I've just found myself really really thinking about needing food!

Any tips?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
i am mostly vegan, eat some fish, and mostly successfully avoid added sugar--when i moved diet this way, i dropped from 208 to 185 without thinking about it--i stabilized there and eat as much as i want and remain stable at light fighting weight--nothing to tweak, nothing to cut back etc

if you can stomach what my wife calls "rabbit food", give this a shot

now i do "cheat" occasionally, but i dont sweat it--my intake of crap is pretty damned tiny, certainly when compared to many

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
Good work chaps!

I've known for some time (years!) that sugar is the big cause of weight gain but have repeatedly struggled with suitable substitutions in my daily diet.

I'm not super fat but have chub and would like to trim it down. No food leaves me feeling full for very long and I like to eat. Regular grazing is hard to avoid and when I've tried to exclude that grazing, I've just found myself really really thinking about needing food!

Any tips?
Everyone has to find the right thing for them. But in my case it is a Keto-type diet, with low carbs (and definitely no sugar), and plenty of fibre, fat and protein. The fat keeps me full, and I have lost about 14lbs without even trying. For me, carbs make me hungry: All carbs seem to do is feed my hunger! Protein, fibre and fat all seem to stabilise my blood sugar, and without that see-sawing, I don’t get as hungry. So, for me, it’s a diet without dieting. It’s strange at first to be avoiding all bread, beer, potatoes, rice, pasta etc (and of course no sweets, cakes, or candy etc), but you soon get used to it. Now I use cream by the bucketload and lose weight! It’s strange to actually be looking for high fat foods after decades of being told it will make me fat. But actually it seems to help me lose weight, not gain it. We certainly have been totally lied to all these years, by the sugar lobby. In time we will probably come to see the sugar industry as as evil as the tobacco one. It has led to a lot of deaths and disability IMO.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 06:00:55 PM »
i am mostly vegan, eat some fish, and mostly successfully avoid added sugar--when i moved diet this way, i dropped from 208 to 185 without thinking about it--i stabilized there and eat as much as i want and remain stable at light fighting weight--nothing to tweak, nothing to cut back etc

if you can stomach what my wife calls "rabbit food", give this a shot

now i do "cheat" occasionally, but i dont sweat it--my intake of crap is pretty damned tiny, certainly when compared to many

I am one of the many; my intake of sugar is pretty high. If sugar is the devil, I live in hell. I just count calories I eat and burn and make sure the math works. I do eat less volume than a lot of people and it is more work to track carefully, but I dropped from the low 220s to the low 150s over the span of ~9 months. I am 5'8", so that's going from a BMI of 34 to below 24. I am eating in a way I have no trouble sustaining. I don't feel like I am dieting, largely because I don't make certain foods off limits. I just watch portions and sometimes step up burn to compensate for an overage. Weaning off sugar does seem like a diet and is harder for me to do than losing the weight while eating a lot of sugar was. I do think I need to cut back, the more I look into this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:33:12 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 10:43:55 PM »
Good work chaps!

Any tips?
Everyone has to find the right thing for them. But in my case it is a Keto-type diet, with low carbs (and definitely no sugar), and plenty of fibre, fat and protein. The fat keeps me full, and I have lost about 14lbs without even trying. For me, carbs make me hungry: All carbs seem to do is feed my hunger! Protein, fibre and fat all seem to stabilise my blood sugar, and without that see-sawing, I don’t get as hungry. So, for me, it’s a diet without dieting. It’s strange at first to be avoiding all bread, beer, potatoes, rice, pasta etc (and of course no sweets, cakes, or candy etc), but you soon get used to it. Now I use cream by the bucketload and lose weight! It’s strange to actually be looking for high fat foods after decades of being told it will make me fat. But actually it seems to help me lose weight, not gain it. We certainly have been totally lied to all these years, by the sugar lobby. In time we will probably come to see the sugar industry as as evil as the tobacco one. It has led to a lot of deaths and disability IMO.

What are you using as snacks? Thats my challenge! Or do you find that you don't need them once you've pushed past a certain point of weaning off the sugars?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
Good work chaps!

Any tips?

This is a great anecdote and everyone should think on it. The word 'diet' is the wrong one to use in my view. Go down that road and its never going to be fun.

I just got back the states and was shocked over the use and volume of corn syrup in their products. That's just awful and its no wonder they are the fattest nation on earth.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:05 AM »
Good work chaps!

Any tips?

What are you using as snacks? Thats my challenge! Or do you find that you don't need them once you've pushed past a certain point of weaning off the sugars?
Yes, without the carbs, I just don’t get the same level of cravings for snacks - or any food, really. But if I do have a snack, I have nuts, or some cheese, or a modest amount of high fat Greek yoghurt, or a bowl of berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries etc) with lashing of double cream!

But I start the day with a 3-egg cheese omelette and quite often find that at the end of the day I’ve forgotten to have lunch, but haven’t really noticed.

As I say, everyone is different so VMMV. But for me, carbs make me crave more carbs, and that is about all the good they do. I’m even producing PBs with my paddling on the low-carb diet. I was worried that low carbs would mean that I felt a lack of energy when out paddling. But after a couple of weeks of adjustment, now I’m finding I actually can paddle longer and harder (up to about 1.5 hrs) than back when I was carb-loading and carrying a Camelbak full of sugary goop.

Basically, for me at least, pretty much everything I had read about, and thought was true about how I should be eating in order to stay active and maintain a sensible weight as a middle-aged man, has turned out to be not true.

Gotta keep the fibre up though if you drop the carbs, IMO. So get used to large plates of vegetables and salad. You can eat pretty much as much of that as you like though, and put butter on them.

I find that around 50g of carbs a day is about right for me. It’s not a disaster to go 75. Below 50 takes an effort to organise. Above 75 and I start feeling hungry again, put on weight, have sleepiness after meals, generally feel less sharp, and paddle slower.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2019, 01:26:23 AM »
Good work chaps!

Any tips?

Yes, without the carbs, I just don’t get the same level of cravings for snacks - or any food, really. But if I do have a snack, I have nuts, or some cheese, or a modest amount of high fat Greek yoghurt, or a bowl of berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries etc) with lashing of double cream!

But I start the day with a 3-egg cheese omelette and quite often find that at the end of the day I’ve forgotten to have lunch, but haven’t really noticed.

As I say, everyone is different so VMMV. But for me, carbs make me crave more carbs, and that is about all the good they do. I’m even producing PBs with my paddling on the low-carb diet. I was worried that low carbs would mean that I felt a lack of energy when out paddling. But after a couple of weeks of adjustment, now I’m finding I actually can paddle longer and harder (up to about 1.5 hrs) than back when I was carb-loading and carrying a Camelbak full of sugary goop.

Basically, for me at least, pretty much everything I had read about, and thought was true about how I should be eating in order to stay active and maintain a sensible weight as a middle-aged man, has turned out to be not true.

Gotta keep the fibre up though if you drop the carbs, IMO. So get used to large plates of vegetables and salad. You can eat pretty much as much of that as you like though, and put butter on them.

I find that around 50g of carbs a day is about right for me. It’s not a disaster to go 75. Below 50 takes an effort to organise. Above 75 and I start feeling hungry again, put on weight, have sleepiness after meals, generally feel less sharp, and paddle slower.

Pretty sensible approach in my view. My approach was merely to aim to eat as natural and unprocessed as I could at as many meals as possible. If you avoid processed stuff, you can't go far wrong. I also have the 'water rule'. If I feel hungry, drink some water first (as hunger is often thirst in disguise).

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2019, 03:24:24 AM »
snacks?

easy -- fruit nuts and seeds -- eat as much as you want -- all day!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal