Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 114024 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »
My wife and I have made a habit of logging all of our meals and exercise with the MyFitnessPal app. It was a pain in the ass at first,  but we stuck with it and have been able to maintain our weight goal for over 2 years. It has been a "lifestyle change" but well worth it as we have been healthy and feel good. (much cheaper and more fun than being sick). The app enables looking at "reports" showing how much sugar, fiber, carbs, protein etc. etc. you are eating making it easy to see just what foods are doing to your diet.
By the way,  I have given up alcohol for over 3 weeks now and I do feel like I have more energy and I am sleeping better. I do still put a touch of lime vodka on top of my bloody mary's and my grapefruit juice....but I am cutting back on the number of those tasty drinks as well.  Unsweetened almond milk is my new go to drink.
Happy New Year everyone!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
My wife and I have made a habit of logging all of our meals and exercise with the MyFitnessPal app. It was a pain in the ass at first,  but we stuck with it and have been able to maintain our weight goal for over 2 years. It has been a "lifestyle change" but well worth it as we have been healthy and feel good. (much cheaper and more fun than being sick). The app enables looking at "reports" showing how much sugar, fiber, carbs, protein etc. etc. you are eating making it easy to see just what foods are doing to your diet.
By the way,  I have given up alcohol for over 3 weeks now and I do feel like I have more energy and I am sleeping better. I do still put a touch of lime vodka on top of my bloody mary's and my grapefruit juice....but I am cutting back on the number of those tasty drinks as well.  Unsweetened almond milk is my new go to drink.
Happy New Year everyone!

I also log with mfp 10 months into maintenance; keeps me honest. I have been alcohol free for over 18 months, though there was more fueling my decision than just weight loss. The weight loss started shortly after as did getting into shape; it was a factor in giving a damn about those things. I didn't want to turn 60 drinking when I had some issues with it or overweight or out of shape. I turned 60 in late December with none of those factors in play. There are no guarantees, but it greatly increases my chances of having significantly more healthy years left than if I had not addressed the major risk factors.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2019, 10:36:00 AM »
60 last nov—tempted to ditch booze too—worry that, if retired, might drink more often—never drank much on “school nights”—-prolly leave the green turned on, turn off the booze—refined sugar? When I indulge, seems I get “hangovers” too—and much moreso, seems, if I let my guard down and eat like shit, i feel like shit

As with booze hangovers—when young, I’d shrug off a serious night out by 10am the next morning—where, over the last many years, the few times I’ve tied a serious one on, it’s been a 2 day recovery process.

Refined sugar is poison—love a banana/nut butter snack—satisfying and all good
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2019, 01:29:00 PM »
Alcohol is a risk factor in any amount according to the most recent study. It was actually a study of other studies. There are benefits to small quantities for various reasons, but also some negatives even for small amounts. They ran all the numbers and math indicates that the risks outweigh the benefits. Not by much if it's small amounts. But if you drink to excess somewhat often, which is what I was doing, it's a substantial health risk. There is also a significant chance of frequency increasing in retirement. I didn't want to become the great uncle that reeks of alcohol every time you see him and doesn't make a lot of sense. If you have it completely under control, that's not as much of a concern.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:55:08 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 02:37:55 AM »
The mindset that we adopt is kind of crazy when you break it down.  There are 30 million delicious things we can eat.  We can fill our entire calorie budget with different fantastic things that are awesome for diet, health, energy, etc.  But, somehow we focus on the few things that suck for us and no matter that we are eating amazing stuff all day, it is those crap things that we can't live without.  Change that mindset, make the delicious good stuff the habit, and the other stuff loses its pull.  If you eating a tenderloin, do you need to be thinking, "it sucks that I can't have my pork rinds right now". 

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
The mindset that we adopt is kind of crazy when you break it down.  There are 30 million delicious things we can eat.  We can fill our entire calorie budget with different fantastic things that are awesome for diet, health, energy, etc.  But, somehow we focus on the few things that suck for us and no matter that we are eating amazing stuff all day, it is those crap things that we can't live without.  Change that mindset, make the delicious good stuff the habit, and the other stuff loses its pull.  If you eating a tenderloin, do you need to be thinking, "it sucks that I can't have my pork rinds right now".
Then we have our personal quirks. I don't eat mammal meat (a mix of compassion and protest against "elite farming" that can't scale due to excessive use of resources), so your example is two things I don't eat. Poultry and seafood (my compassion only goes so far and the resource use to produce is much lower) are generally lower in calories so I am left with more "discretionary calories" and that's where my sweet/fat tooth kicks in. Or sometimes I choose fish and chips as a meal and blow over half my daily allotment on one meal.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
Of course I did just bake these from the yeast up with my grandson.  If you want to test your resolve, the smell of baking Cinnamon rolls will do it :).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:00:33 AM by Admin »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
Of course I did just bake these from the yeast up with my grandson.  If you want to test your resolve, the smell of baking Cinnamon rolls will do it :).

Now this is just wrong. There should be some kind of law against posting pictures like these in a thread on the evils of sugar  ; ;D
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
obvi you melt sweet butter all over them sticky buns prior to ingestion!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
Took my teen age kids to the donut shop this weekend and was able to restrain myself. Then my wife baked chocolate chip cookies. Again, I looked the other way:( It's tough....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:55 PM »
One of my kids works at Dunkin'. Usually he works an early shift but every now and then he closes and sometimes brings home some stuff that would have been tossed. He's pretty good at picking ones that keep best and boxing them quickly. I would like to say they aren't nearly as good the next morning, but the truth is they are still pretty darn good.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2019, 08:10:42 PM »
Might I suggest one plain dunk'in donut along with BLACK dark roast coffee......followed by a quick 6 mile paddle......should do no harm :)............
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2019, 02:40:15 AM »
obvi you melt sweet butter all over them sticky buns prior to ingestion!

A cup of butter and two cups of confectioners sugar with a splash of Vanilla.  And that is just the Glaze!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2019, 05:47:31 AM »
Might I suggest one plain dunk'in donut along with BLACK dark roast coffee......followed by a quick 6 mile paddle......should do no harm :)............

I don't think he has ever brought home a plain one. I always drink my coffee black, but if I am going to have a donut/pastry at all, I go ahead and have one I really want, like a chocolate frosted cream filled donut or one of those sticky cinnamon rolls. I do tend to use paddles or gym cardio as an eraser sometimes, but it does keep my endurance up. I have watched a full movie while doing cardio, usually the ARC Trainer, several times. Or I have a pouch of spiced salmon over a salad with no dressing for lunch. I eat all the things (except mammal meat), just not on the same day.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:46 AM »

Watch out for this.  There is a regrettable tale from a Maui-downwinder-gone-bad entitled, "Floater at Spartan's" that had a eerily similar beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal