Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 114012 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 05:22:32 AM »
Of course this thread had to start during the time of year where there's the most sugar flowing through my house!
The trite weight loss/management advice is legit - What you eat between Christmas and New Year's is not nearly as important as what you eat between New Year's and Christmas.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 05:30:27 AM »
Of course this thread had to start during the time of year where there's the most sugar flowing through my house!
The trite weight loss/management advice is legit - What you eat between Christmas and New Year's is not nearly as important as what you eat between New Year's and Christmas.

That is a good point.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »

That is a good point.

It amazes me how many people don't get it. They brag about not gaining over Christmas, but don't do the math when they return to normal habits.

320 cals - Pumpkin pie
20   cals - light Cool Whip

140 cals - Coke
215 cals - Snickers

400 cals - Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy

870 cals - quarter pounder with cheese extra value meal

etc, etc, etc...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »
O.K., I’m convinced. Actually, I have been thinking about sugar for some time now, but this thread has helped kick me in the butt to finally do something.

I have a major sweet tooth. I consume a lot of sugar in the cookies, chocolate bars and sweets I eat. Funny thing is, I’m not overweight, and every time I go for a check up my blood sugar numbers always come back within normal limits. But in the back of my mind I have been concerned.

So I’m going to take a stab at reducing the amount of sugar I eat. Not sure how I’ll make out, but I’m going to give it a try. So thanks to all those who have posted here. And a special thanks to Admin., for his posting and the links he included to the New York Times Article and the previous thread on the Zone. I got a lot out of both.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2018, 01:02:33 AM »
QB sugar is a major evil.  While I still consume Christmas cookies and dark chocolate -> take no sugar in my daily coffee.  No added sugar in everyday eating.  But do partake in sipping rum straight which is all sugar with friends.  Like I did tonight.  3 rums for taste testing.  Haha.

My perspective is moderation with no deprivation.  Has worked wonders for close to 5 years now.  Took off about 25 lbs of blubber and put on about 15 lbs of muscle.  Is possible even as you age -> but takes a lot of dedication.  In all well worth the expense in time and effort.  No question.  That and the 23” AS have been key for me.  Hardly use my wider boards anymore.  23 for balance.  Weights for muscle mass.  Good diet overall for good blood numbers.  Yeah abs also -> but who really cares.

https://youtu.be/K3ksKkCOgTw
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »
Changing your sugar diet can be pretty tricky at first.  It is amazing how we build up to these little tent posts in our days.  Small things that we allow ourselves that become strong habits which we then defend even more strongly to ourselves.  Not doing something that has been a mini reward , a micro highlight, is very hard.  But, once it has been broken, its gone.  That may take 3-6 months to really take hold.  After being without it for that period, you stop craving it entirely and even being around it won't really draw you in.  It will actually be shocking how sweet sweets taste when you try them again.  I had pecan pie at thanksgiving (my favorite, actually rhubarb too, actually all pie) and it blew me away how over the top it was.  Don't get me wrong, it was fantastic, but holy shit!  I also was getting sugar hangovers (at least that is what they felt like).  That made it easier for me to quit as well. 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
I second how soon you can kick cravings and how sensitive your taste buds can become. After cutting out sugar, including fruit, I introduced berries back into my diet. The first time having berries after 5 months and it felt like I was eating candy.

There are lots of natural sweeteners out there that don’t spike insulin and I’m not talking about honey or pure maple syrup. Try erythritol or monk fruit. You’ll be amazed at how good it can taste. Just be careful, substituting natural sweeteners for sugar won’t eliminate your cravings.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
Changing your sugar diet can be pretty tricky at first.....

Yeah does take a bit to get sorted.  But once you take out added sugar -> that alone is a big chunk.  Then cutting back on refined carbs will get you well on your way.  Did that until most excess fat was gone.  Then focused on optimizing blood numbers. 

Def bloodwork took a lot more effort and time to sort as “in range” -> does not necessarily mean “optimal” by any stretch.  From there it has been straightforward maintenance.  So adding back in some sugar has been without much consequence.  Since when cleaned up -> your body processes toxic junk pretty easy.  Instead of turning it into inflammatory fire which is the typical situation.

But sugar for the most part is not good to ingest at all.  Just like alcohol or smoke.  In fact most man-made packaged products are not that great.  Sugar in particular is pretty toxic -> especially at the molecular level.  So best to cut back for sure.  Tons of clinical trial data on this.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »
Update.... -5 lbs today :)  I haven't been 240 since I had the flu 2 years ago. No more need for afternoon naps. Eating pretty much the same things, just avoiding the obvious sugar items. Feeling pretty good too. Lots of fruits and nuts and water. My drink has become water with a splash of OJ. Last night I had a major craving for chocolate. Took out one of my favorite snacks, dark chocolate covered almonds. I placed one on my desk as I worked. It stayed there in view and untouched the whole night. Like a cigarette laying there in plain view, tempting a smoker trying to give up smoking. It was tough. I survived the moment and have been trying to find additional snack substitutes. Dried apricots and sugar free peanut butter seems to be working. Any suggestions? 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »
(All organic)Banannas or green apples sliced, peanut butter, salt, sorguhms syrup, sprinkle coconut shavings on top

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »
(All organic)Banannas or green apples sliced, peanut butter, salt, sorguhms syrup, sprinkle coconut shavings on top
Sorghum's sweetness is primarily from sucrose and fructose. It also has some other simple sugars. It has more calories per unit of measure than white sugar. It is raw with a small amount of natural sediment (aka dirt/dust) in it. It is less processed than white sugar.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
Update.... -5 lbs today :)  I haven't been 240 since I had the flu 2 years ago. No more need for afternoon naps. Eating pretty much the same things, just avoiding the obvious sugar items. Feeling pretty good too. Lots of fruits and nuts and water. My drink has become water with a splash of OJ. Last night I had a major craving for chocolate. Took out one of my favorite snacks, dark chocolate covered almonds. I placed one on my desk as I worked. It stayed there in view and untouched the whole night. Like a cigarette laying there in plain view, tempting a smoker trying to give up smoking. It was tough. I survived the moment and have been trying to find additional snack substitutes. Dried apricots and sugar free peanut butter seems to be working. Any suggestions?

TallDude, congrats on the 5 pounds. Also have to say that you’re a stronger man than me. No way I could have chocolate sitting beside me all night and not eat it. With me, if it’s in sight, it’s going to get eaten. All my chocolate bars and cookies went into the freezer, and so far I haven’t been tempted. Although, to give myself a bit of credit, I was out a few days ago where brownies were available (one of my favourites) and I resisted.

As for snacks, what I sometimes do is take walnuts and almonds, roast them in the oven, and eat them this way. I was surprised how much better they taste roasted.

And just a quick word about fruits. I haven’t given up all fruits, but they do contain sugar. I know it’s not refined sugar, but from what I’m told sugar is sugar, and none of it is great. I love bananas but have stopped eating them as they are particularly high in sugar content. And if I remember correctly, the sugar content of fruit juices, even pure fruit juices, is higher than the fruit itself. Just something to be aware of.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Congrats Matt, keep it up. If you want a chocolate alternative for cravings, check out Lily’s brand. They make bars, baking chips, etc and are sweetened with stevia. My favorite nuts are macadamia and sometimes I’ll sprinkle some baking cocoa and some erythritol on them. I like them roasted and salted and this hits the spot. A big eye opener was weighing everything I eat. It’s amazing how I used to grab a couple handlful of nuts, which is probably 1.5-2 servings per handful.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
Congrats Matt, keep it up. If you want a chocolate alternative for cravings, check out Lily’s brand. They make bars, baking chips, etc and are sweetened with stevia. My favorite nuts are macadamia and sometimes I’ll sprinkle some baking cocoa and some erythritol on them. I like them roasted and salted and this hits the spot. A big eye opener was weighing everything I eat. It’s amazing how I used to grab a couple handlful of nuts, which is probably 1.5-2 servings per handful.
A food scale is key IMO. Learning what portions really look like was one of the biggest contributors to success in hitting my goal (BMI under 25, down from over 33). I have continued weighing and logging during maintenance - over 10 months now. Eating "naturally" just doesn't work for me. I do that "too small to count" grazing and it adds up if I grab a few raisins and nuts just about every time I pass through the kitchen. Or I screw up estimating portions or not checking the caloric content of foods I think aren't that bad.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 09:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the dark chocolate w/ stevia Kayadogg. Just bought some on Amazon. I've been having half an apple and a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter with no added sugar for an evening dessert. I'm just scratching the surface. I've been reading more about it and learning a little. Even OJ is high in sugar, so I'm drinking more decaf coffee with nothing added and lots of water. As far as weighing what I eat..... I'll have to work my way towards that.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal