Author Topic: Sugar is sneaky bad....  (Read 113904 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sugar is sneaky bad....
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:29:53 PM »
Poking around through some diet research and came across this... It's eye opening for me. Too many sweet snacks. Something has to change:(

https://news.yale.edu/2018/12/17/sugar-targets-gut-microbe-linked-lean-and-healthy-people?utm_source=YNemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=yn-12-20-18

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Sugar is sneaky bad....
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:25:41 AM »
I know, but it tastes so good!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
Interesting. My extensive research with a sample size of one doesn't completely concur with that. I was overweight (BMI was just over 33) and out of shape until late summer of 2017, when I decided to get serious about it before I turn 60 if I wanted to improve the likelihood I will have a long and healthy retirement. I lost over 65 pounds and have a BMI under 25. Next week I will turn 60 with visible abs. Paddling SUP like a mad man during 2018 had a lot to do with this, but most of the weight comes off by consuming less than you burn, which I did. But to make it sustainable, I limited portions rather than making things off limits. I have a sweet tooth and eat a lot of sugar. Like way over the suggested limit. I had a carb heavy diet with a lot of sugar even while I was dropping weight and still do as I am now maintaining it. It is definitely possible to get lean and fit while consuming a lot of sugar, at least IME.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
Does that mean I shouldn't eat the toll house cookies I'm baking....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »
Does that mean I shouldn't eat the toll house cookies I'm baking....:)
"The boat is taking on water!" ...... I'll fix the bilge pump.........right after I finish these cookies. ;D
It's not overhead to me!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
5 months ago, almost to the day, my wife and I changed our diets and eliminated sugar and carbs. We’re now fat adapted, meaning our body isn’t being fueled by glucose anymore and now is running on fat. Without making a single change to our exercise or activity levels, I went from 197 to 157 and she went from 130 to 110. We’ve discovered lots of natural sweeteners that don’t spike insulin levels and have had a great time baking and substituting these for regular sugar. I’ve never felt better. Just another sample size of 1 (well, technically 2) here but I’m definitely against sugar.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
wow Dog, that's awesome!!!!!!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »
Excellent you guys!

Do you have to feel a bit hungry to lose the weight?

Several years ago now, I went on keto (very low carb among other things) and dropped about 2.5 pounds per week
over about three months down to 173 from 195 so 22 pounds (I still was not as skinny as you two are now).
I was paddling about the same amount.  I also did a bit of fasting - nothing much, just skipping a meal every once
in a while if I wasn't on track.

I will say I was a bit disappointed that my endurance and recovery didn't seem to be better at the lower weight -
but that maybe related to my own health issues.

I held the low weight for about six months.

I've said my higher weight was "all social" - I still think so.  As, I kind of abandoned the super low carb diet
due to social pressures - who I'm around and what they like to eat, etc. and gained it all back and a bit more.

So, anyway, for me, cutting the sugar definitely reduced the weight.

I'd like to do it again sustainably - maybe at the bottom weight, portion control is how to handle "social situations"
(bad influencers).
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
Awesome John! I'm going to have to do something solo though. My wife eats the opposite of what I should be eating and I'm not going ask her to change. I need to make a big time effort to get back too the 225 range. It would open a whole range of lower volume boards to me;) Plus I'm sure I'll feel better.
It's not overhead to me!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
Excellent you guys!

Several years ago now, I went on keto (very low carb among other things) and dropped about 2.5 pounds per week
over about three months down to 173 from 195 so 22 pounds (I still was not as skinny as you two are now).
I was paddling about the same amount.  I also did a bit of fasting - nothing much, just skipping a meal every once
in a while if I wasn't on track.

I will say I was a bit disappointed that my endurance and recovery didn't seem to be better at the lower weight -
but that maybe related to my own health issues.

I held the low weight for about six months.

I've said my higher weight was "all social" - I still think so.  As, I kind of abandoned the super low carb diet
due to social pressures - who I'm around and what they like to eat, etc. and gained it all back and a bit more.

So, anyway, for me, cutting the sugar definitely reduced the weight.

I'd like to do it again sustainably - maybe at the bottom weight, portion control is how to handle "social situations"
(bad influencers).

Subber, we're doing keto. I'm hungrier now than I was when we first started but that's obviously because I have much less fat now. I'm eating at a maintenance level right now, so not trying to lose any more. I do 16:8 intermittent fasting pretty much every day. My endurance, performance and recovery definitely suffered for the first couple of months, which is expected, but now I feel excellent. Not sure if it's coincidental and definitely not trying to preach keto but I also suffer from asthma and have not needed to use any of my inhalers in 3 months. I was using them pretty much daily before this. My surf sessions have doubled and tripled in duration too.

Social pressure has been a learning curve, especially with our families and relatives. They don't get it and that's ok. We made it through Thanksgiving fairly easily and think Christmas/New Years won't be a problem. We just do a lot of the cooking/baking for get-togethers, that way we have control over it. The great thing is that most keto foods and desserts taste amazing to everyone thanks to all of the butter  ;D

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »
It would open a whole range of lower volume boards to me;) Plus I'm sure I'll feel better.

Matt.... THIS! My go-to board right now is 7'11x27 85L and that's with wearing full rubber. Pretty insane to think I can even stand on it, let alone have a 3 hour session on it. I know I can go smaller too but just don't see the need although I'm going to see what Dave has kicking around the shop when I'm out in Dana Point in January.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
Does that mean I shouldn't eat the toll house cookies I'm baking.... :)
I'll take them!

Years ago, I worked at a big (compared to working for myself) company.  Starting about mid-December, we always got all kinds of cookies, cheesecakes, etc. from companies that worked with us.  Everyone went crazy the first few days, then got sugared out, except me, which was great because I had it all to myself the last few days.

Then (also years ago) I left in January to work for myself.  Almost a year later, I got a delivery to my house on December 24th from my old company.  It was box after box of Christmas cookies and chocolate.  The note said they didn't know why they had so many goodies piling up, then realized it was because I wasn't there, so they had it all delivered to me.  It was great.

But I'm a lot older now, so definitely those days are over.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
HA, i was king of sugar, i lived in mammoth and worked out of LA County. 4 hr drive to work. I hated coffee.  So at 3am, id fill up with gas in Bishop, get a 64oz of dr pepper and as many laughy taffies and 3 muskateers that i could stomache. Id get myself just to puking stage.  It worked perfectly, i never fell asleep once driving to work,

And then there were the overtimers bringing in the gallon of ice cream, so id eat at least a half gallon of ice cream a shift, and then if there were heavy calls or holidays the station would be full of cookies and brownies,,and it usually took me a dozen before i could tell if i liked them

Then i got lung cancer, thyroid cancer, melanoma, pancreatic and kidney cancer,,,,and now if i have 1mg of sugar or any bread i get instant gout throughout my body.

There are repurcussions to processed sugars, especially if you are carrying a load of heavy metals, parasites, and fungus. 

If you are not producing enough glutathione, then its all compounded.

The shit aint good for you, no matter how skinny you are..

But god dam i could use a doughnut right now, haha

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
Excellent you guys!

Thanks.
You don't have to feel hungry. I sometimes did and do if i go too far overboard on sweets as they aren't all that filling. I log everything and make sure the number of calories I consume is less than the amount I burn. I use a food scale a lot to make sure I am logging what I actually eat and not just what the package says a serving is. That's what all diets boil down to - a calorie deficit; it's just personal preference as to whether you get most of your calories in carbs or not as long as you are getting reasonable amounts of carbs, protein and fat. It's also a matter of what you can keep doing in maintenance.

I have been in maintenance for almost 10 months. I eat pretty much the same food as I always have, but I will make trade offs sometimes. I still log everything because I suck at eating the right amount naturally. A couple of years back I stopped eating mammal meat, so I get most of my protein from chicken, seafood and vegetarian sources.  So my protein sources are low fat. Mostly I had to make sure I wasn't going overboard on portions. The food scale is a real eye opener; finding out what is an actual serving of cereal, ice cream, nuts, etc is a little depressing.

I am kind of bad about using exercise as an eraser. During the summer, I would often go into work very early in the AM so I could knock off early and go paddle 10 miles. Since it has been cooler, I got one of the $10 a month Planet Fitness memberships at a location near my office. I go there early AM, do an hour of cardio and a few minutes of weights and the endless rope (great exercise for paddling muscles), shower and head into the office. I say "kind of bad" because I am often driven by the desire to get a bigger calorie allowance instead of just the desire to get fit, but the end result is getting pretty fit and I really like feeling this way. I plan to do a lot of paddling in 2019.

I could go pretty low volume on a board but my most recent one is a big battleship - a 2016 14x30 Glide -  because I want the ability to haul a lot of gear and sometimes an extra person, plus the stability for open ocean touring. I plan to do a lot of fishing nearshore up to maybe 3 miles out and i will have all the gear to haul out there and need the capacity to haul giant tuna back in. It doesn't hurt that they are trying very hard to get rid of them and slashed the price 50% plus free shipping.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »
Last yr I was forced into elimenating most all sugar from my diet.    After 3 months many of the aches and joint pain were gone or leaving.   After 6 months I could tell a hugh difference in how I felt.   I mentioned this to my doc during a physical, his reply was if all his patients over 55 ( I"m 66 ) would go sugar free most of their joints issues would go away.    THis yr my doc also found my uric acid levels were way to high.   With his help I have lowered it to below normal which also helps with joint pain.    Best I have felt in yrs.   Truth be known I really miss the CC cookies, ice cream etc.    I will go with less pain !  =  more water time !

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM