Author Topic: Kai's aeirial at Mavericks.  (Read 11145 times)

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kai's aeirial at Mavericks.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
All of the guys on the big wave tour and those who are out in mountains on their own have an unparalled
degree of bravery and skill.   All one has to do sit in the channel on 20 ft plus day anywhere and it will quickly become all to real what these guy and gals do !    Fun to watch & admire !    Riding moving mountains of water !

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »
Yes...the gals have really stepped up their game in the big wave arena...
My buddy, Greg Huglin, filmed this HD slomo wipeout at 240 fps of Andrea Moller on that last Jaws swell...OUCH!!!

https://youtu.be/ecSeXiAi2lM
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:10:47 PM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 03:43:55 AM »
All of the guys on the big wave tour and those who are out in mountains on their own have an unparalled
degree of bravery and skill.   All one has to do sit in the channel on 20 ft plus day anywhere and it will quickly become all to real what these guy and gals do !    Fun to watch & admire !    Riding moving mountains of water !

The difference is consequences.  "Everyone who has made free-soloing a big part of their life is dead now". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
It's also the concentration. Even 80' waves only last a few seconds. Honnold was perfectly locked in for FOUR hours. To me that is the piece that is unexplainable.
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »
I think that was actually 2016 Wardog. But that fall was much more "gentle" than the one that ripped up leg muscles when she did a freefall off the lip. She was hobbling around in a cast for many months. I can't find the video. That was one of the ugliest freefalls I've seen.

If consequence was the only thing that counted then Russian roulette or Opioid addiction would be top of the sports heap. I enjoyed Free Solo, but as a neurologically challenged guy, I recognized Honnold's motivation--nutty as a fruitcake. Or to put it in more PC fashion--a brain someplace on the autism spectrum connected inexplicably to a particular endeavor. He could just as easily be compelled to count every watch in every jeweler's window he passes, as someone I know well simply has to do.

Beasho--Kai said exactly that in a video I saw on Facebook--that the ability to do aerials on a wave like Peahi or Mavericks comes from his windsurfing experience, where it's common. Of course, the enabling factor is not just that he both windsurfs and surfs big waves, but also that tow-in boards have footstraps just like a windsurfer. Landing a bigt drop on a 10-foot gun with no straps would take more than experience--it would take luck and gecko feet.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:35:35 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
I think that was actually 2016 Wardog. But that fall was much more "gentle" than the one that ripped up leg muscles when she did a freefall off the lip. She was hobbling around in a cast for many months. I can't find the video. That was one of the ugliest freefalls I've seen.

Yes...I know...the most recent vid clip from the November contest, that I found when I posted that, was not very clear...but, Greg's showed the consequence(s) of her commitment...here it is...pretty gnarly...a pretty good still popped up on my Instagram feed but I couldn't find it...

https://youtu.be/YjrlOGTxT1k
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:17:08 PM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
Wow. Andrea is tougher than boiled parrot in her sports but so nice in person that it's hard to connect the dots.

I'm reasonably7 sure that's Victor Lopez getting her out of the impact zone and a new loop retrieval thing that looks to work a lot better than the dongle most of the sleds use. Victor was telling us about it after a downwinder two days ago. Sounds like something all the sleds will use soon. It looks like the retrieval loops the Seals use.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
Wow. Andrea is tougher than boiled parrot in her sports but so nice in person that it's hard to connect the dots.

Yes...Andrea is a fantastic multi-sport athlete...first responder...love of dogs and horses...great human...she's been one of Deb's inspirations...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 06:58:04 PM »
It's also the concentration. Even 80' waves only last a few seconds. Honnold was perfectly locked in for FOUR hours. To me that is the piece that is unexplainable.

So cool.  For the Caldwell "Dawn Wall" effort they were up there for 18 days.  That is truly epic.  A fall from El Capitan would last longer than a Jaws or Mavs wave (or a hold down).  I cannot imagine a sport (or anything) that allows zero margin for error. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
i hope honnold can quit while he's ahead

i have a friend who was an amazing climber--put up many free solos, a few firsts even

he quit--wife got through to him after he had his first kid

i climbed a lot for years--was always meticulous with protection--roped up and put in protection based on how bad a fall would be, not the difficulty of the pitch

unlike free soloists, the knowledge that i had solid protection in was what allowed me to relax and focus

whatever honnold's wiring, the climb was an incredible feat
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
Kind of a rambling story in Outside on the two climbers who died last June on El Capitan. Every time I read Outside I wonder if they have any editors.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2373551/death-el-cap

Not to make light of the difficulty and nerve required, but I'm reasonably certain I could prove climbers take bigger risks driving to enjoy their sport than they do climbing. Of course, that includes all climbers, not the specialty of free solo. I don't buy that risk is the ultimate qualifier of sport. If that were true, women texting and doing their makeup at 80 MPH on a two lane road should qualify for better TV coverage than F1 and Red Bull is wasting their time with all that bicycling off cliffs stuff. Self-adsorbed soccer Moms driving through neighborhoods--the ultimate thrill sport.

Oh, and Admin, I know they said there would be no math, but if you fell a thousand feet you'd reach terminal velocity before you hit, so the calculation is a bit messy, but if you ignore that for the first thousand feet (full velocity of about 180 MPH) the fall would take less than eight seconds. If you jumped off the top of El Capitan and cleared everything all the way to the base you'd fall 3000 feet. At terminal velocity (120 MPH/176 feet/sec) a body covers 1000 feet in less than six seconds, so 20 seconds top to bottom. That's both a very short wave and a very short hold down. I'm thinking chree to fi, max.

I doubt Honnold can quit, but he might be able to redirect somewhat.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:35:49 PM by PonoBill »

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »

concentration AND utter confidence beyond confidence...something different there. no possibility of any error

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »
Oh, and Admin, I know they said there would be no math, but if you fell a thousand feet you'd reach terminal velocity before you hit, so the calculation is a bit messy, but if you ignore that for the first thousand feet (full velocity of about 180 MPH) the fall would take less than eight seconds. If you jumped off the top of El Capitan and cleared everything all the way to the base you'd fall 3000 feet. At terminal velocity (120 MPH/176 feet/sec) a body covers 1000 feet in less than six seconds, so 20 seconds top to bottom. That's both a very short wave and a very short hold down. I'm thinking chree to fi, max.

These guys thought 18 seconds from 3/4 of the way up El Cap.  They actually used Hannold as their example (which is funny because my search was just "calculate fall time" :)).  They wrote, "Calculate how long Alex Honnold would be in free fall if he fell off 3/4 the way up El Cap. 18 Seconds is a long time to think about your mistakes".  https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1231475371

I agree that risk is not a qualifier for most sport and is certainly only a small element for just having fun.  It is though for big waves and big walls.  You might get a handful of people to see a movie with the same pitches at 100 feet and the level of surfing on big waves is actually pretty boring if you (could) take the danger out of it. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 04:41:04 AM »
im going to finish the piece, pb, but it's gon be a challenge

i thought this might be about your high standards--nope!

im getting my machete out so i can get thru the rest of this
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 04:52:30 AM »
"The difficulty of the terrain in the section of rock leading to Mammoth Terraces is relatively moderate and would lend itself to experienced climbers placing less protection. However an unprotected fall in any terrain has catastrophic consequences.”

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal