Author Topic: Wind Weapon Downwind?  (Read 4482 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wind Weapon Downwind?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 01:56:04 AM »
Looks like Ken Winner designed that wing that Alan is using.  Pretty cool.  It seems like they would want to get away from a modified kite approach, though.  The boom looks like it is folding the wing in two as soon as it loads up.  Alan is just sitting on the board and standing up :).  You could use one of the tiny Paipo's with a waterstart, which I am sure is possible.  Usual low wind tactics like using the mast foot or looping a kite aren't available but there is always something that can be worked out. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
Yes, you're right, it was Ken and Rod, not Tony and Rod. After I posted that I thought "there's something wrong here, but I don't know what it is."

The kite Rod had looked better, it didn't fold much, and he was getting some useful shove that was not just downwind--he was crossing the river at fairly extreme angles. I can see it going upwind with some refinement.

Back in the days of two-line kites, going upwind was the holy grail and only achieved by a few. Mostly, two line kiting was a "walk of shame" sport. For that matter, before I started going to Hood River and learned to waterstart in Maui the only way to go upwind on a windsurfer was to kick down your daggerboard and do tacks from the stand-up and beg position. Yeah. I'm old.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:55:07 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 02:21:55 AM »
I am a software developer. Sometimes when I flow chart logic, I will drop in a step labelled TAMO - Then A Miracle Occurs.

I love this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal