Author Topic: Wind Weapon Downwind?  (Read 4484 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Wind Weapon Downwind?
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wind Weapon Downwind?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »
IMO, that's a sail with you acting as the mast. It does look interesting but pretty physically demanding.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
I used to sail Wind Weapons. They were a lot of fun, and the did have a mast, but could also snap down to a wing and best of all, jibe without flipping the sail.

I saw this last summer in Hood River. Rod Parmenter did a downwinder with one. I think Tony Lagoz was with him and they were Tony's prototypes. Rod's kite worked fine, As I recall, Tony's deflated at Wells Island and it took him a while to get to the event center.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
Once you're comfortable with that, I could see using a harness w/ a single harness line off that boom, then you could last a long time.  He looked a bit over-powered, but I like it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:31:47 PM »
Sorry, but that seems wrong to me. Reminds me of Kai with the carrot 🥕
Something about gliding along with the energy from the swells that is surreal and that flapping wing would take that all away. Just wear a wingsuit already.  ;D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:03 AM »
Yes, we had this a while back: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27225.msg283236.html#msg283236 .

That wasn't quite it.  Minimal wing combined with a foil?  That looks like it is evolving into something fun.  The boom doesn't look like it is giving him enough control but that could be improved.  The waterstart would be pretty cool with no pivot point.  Have to figure that out :).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
Sorry, but that seems wrong to me. Reminds me of Kai with the carrot 🥕
Something about gliding along with the energy from the swells that is surreal and that flapping wing would take that all away. Just wear a wingsuit already.  ;D

Yeah, I thought it was interesting but nothing I'd run out and buy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
Sorry, but that seems wrong to me. Reminds me of Kai with the carrot 

Yeah, I thought it was interesting but nothing I'd run out and buy.

Maybe I can get one for no charge. I bet I could get my orthopedic surgeon to give me one for Christmas, then go ahead and pencil me in. Oh wait, I am already on his schedule; better wait until that one (the left shoulder; he has already done the right once) heals...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:10:31 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Ok looks fun but I want to see how you up on a plane  and restart after a spill !

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
Well he made that look easy, Im sure its hard on the knees if they are old and weak.    Warm water seems like the way to learn !   

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
I am a software developer. Sometimes when I flow chart logic, I will drop in a step labelled TAMO - Then A Miracle Occurs. The part where he he gets to his feet is a TAMO moment for me. Maybe If I got into a Tebo kneel I could stand without using hands, but from feet in the water to standing? No way.

I would really love a way to use the wind on a SUP besides just using one of those downwind chutes. The earlier video on the wing where he tacked back and forth was pretty impressive. I wonder if it is possible to claw your way back up wind at all.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
Actually, that looks like just about any low wind water start, which used to be one of my specialties. But now that looks maybe a bit out of reach. The big trick is to use the sail or wing for stability and a little help up without relying on it too much and pulling it down--like using a railing for stability but not to hold half your weight.

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »

That's something I thought about, and actually tried. Thinking about more surface area to catch wind, I sewed up a 2 piece homemade wingsuit, as an experiment.
Used Lycra to make "chaps" with a belt around my waist, and gussets sewn to a long sleeved rash guard shirt.

Used it a few times in the ocean, in 20-30 knot winds. 5-7 foot seas. Just worked so-so. Felt like less wind at water level, or blocked by the swell. A little sketchy too when I fell, a bit of an entanglement issue.

However one day I used it on an inland waterway with 30+ knot winds, and only 1 foot bumps. I was flying. Felt like a 20% improvement(boost). Went about 5 miles total using my bullet 14. I could feel myself being pulled forward as I paddled. Lots of fun.

As to whether or not a real wingsuit would work, who knows. Too rich for my blood!

Now I'm just back to my trunks or wetsuit.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »

There is always the option of these ridiculous things for downwind:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Living-Durable-Downwind-Sailboat-Foldable/dp/B07DHLT65Y
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal