Stand Up Paddle > Technique

Preferred Method to Right Larger SUP in Surf?

(1/3) > >>

WhatsSUP:
Noticed this weekend I had a bit more of a challenge of righting my 10' 1" B&B in the surf after a wipeout and the board capsized (fin up)....got me thinking about it this morning and thought there might be a trick or two(?)  I typically grab the rather large 10" fin and wait for some chop or a wavelet to help with leveraging the board back over.....in the glassier conditions of this weekend there wasn't any help from the water so the friction interface given the boards length and width resulted in several attempts on most wipeouts to right the board......

Interested in hearing from the bigger board guys as to preferred righting method.....got to be a better way than using the fin which I now can't be good!

:o 8) :o 8)

Bean:
There is really no wrong way, just make sure that on windy days to put yourself downwind of the board when you flip it.

On stronger off-shores, I will push the windward rail up out of the water and let the wind do the lifting ;D

Subber:
I typically just put one hand under one edge of the board and kind of flip it back over
away from me.
It helps to do it right when a wave or swell (not crashing) helps to raise the board up.
Sometimes, but rarely will I use the fin and only if I'm using a big single.

Yeah, sometimes there's suction that you have to overcome.

I will say, be careful if it is really windy.  A long time ago, I flipped my board like that
in a heavy wind and it took off airborne.  That day I'm remembering I had to use two
hands to be careful it didn't launch.

Wetstuff:
I seem to do this a lot...  Like, Subber, I do a one-handed push shot midships and it flops.

Jim

addapost:

--- Quote from: Bean on December 17, 2018, 08:56:09 AM ---There is really no wrong way, just make sure that on windy days to put yourself downwind of the board when you flip it.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean "upwind"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version