Author Topic: BigBoy 12' Sunova Search  (Read 17881 times)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: BigBoy 12' Sunova Search
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2019, 04:46:40 AM »
Awesome news brother, super stoked on the new Sunova PtBreak!!!!!

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
How is the Point Break different from the Search, specifically?

This surf expedition type board has been appealing to me for a long time.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

supthecreek

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
This board was designed specifically for surf.

2” added width will give more rail curve combined with the rounded pin tail and added fin boxes will loosen it up on turns.

The result will be a board that will be very stable in all conditions and easily paddled to remote points, offshore reefs or river mouths to score great sessions away from the crowds.

Not designed as a big wave gun, but for the waves most of us actually ride.

RbGar also added a kick pad, arch bar, two leash plugs and a ledge handle.

I loved RbGar’s Plan, and talked to the US distributor about adding some to the spring container..... but first, I wanted to talk with Bert to get his thoughts on the overall shape and width..... if we should drop the width to 31” for the added boards.... he said no, the 32” really adds a nice rail curve through the hips and tail... leave it at 32”!
Bert is very stoked on this board  and agreed that with all the changes, it really wasn’t a “Search” any more :)

I will still love my 14’ Search for my Flat-water paddling, but I can’t wait to get this board into some of our New England points! It will make winter fun again!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 07:25:45 AM »
Man...  'give us a break!  No more good stuff!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
I’m rethinking a LiftSup handle 🤣😂🤣🏄🤪

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
Oh man....how can I pull this off? Pretty sure Sue would notice. The board sounds custom made for ME....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:07 AM »
The Point Break looks pretty much perfect for one of my local breaks. I’d prefer it if it was 31” wide since I’m not as big as some of you guys. But this deserves to sell well. Good work.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
I believe 4 will be available, unless US distributor has sold some already. I hear Primal Surf in Brigantine NJ will be stocking Sunova’s, looks like a really nice shop! www.psurf.com

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2019, 05:12:56 AM »
this thread has been a great follow- and I enjoyed Wardog and Badgers input despite a smidge of thread stealing :)

ive been considering this concept for some time as well.  Between this type of shape or a prone glider for long flatwater paddles on very small days catching ankle/ knee high and under waves in between.  I have a great loop ocean paddle by me that i love doing in trunk weather for a few miles. 

I look forward to seeing the 'point break' ....I think as i keep dwelling on this I will be moving from by current one boar solution- the 10'6 Style to a 12-14 foot glider,for the above paddling and a dedicated noserider like a B&B for knee to chest cross stepping.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 07:09:32 AM »
I think there is a lot of innovative shaping still to be seen in this type of board. There are many different directions to go with it. Some will lean toward all around stability while others want glide. The main factor is that the board must allow the rider to surf waves at a high level of performance.

To me, the whole reason for having a 12 foot board is the increased glide. I want to get into waves as early as possible and then be able to turn and carve once on the wave. If a 12 or 14 foot board can't catch a wave significantly earlier than a 10 footer of the same width, there is little point in surfing it.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:31:48 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »

ive been considering this concept for some time as well.  Between this type of shape or a prone glider for long flatwater paddles on very small days catching ankle/ knee high and under waves in between.  I have a great loop ocean paddle by me that i love doing in trunk weather for a few miles. 

I look forward to seeing the 'point break' ....I think as i keep dwelling on this I will be moving from by current one boar solution- the 10'6 Style to a 12-14 foot glider,for the above paddling and a dedicated noserider like a B&B for knee to chest cross stepping.

exactly, fine tuning the quiver, I'll end up with a 9' plus and this 12'. Smaller for beachy's, no wind, no crowds, no wetsuit etc.. 12' when its a little windy, crowded, touring out to Pt's, big days, tiny days, winter logging, try a river down winder, run what ya brung fun races etc.. Nice two board quiver, if you race throw in a 14'.

I hear only three left of the incoming seven.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:43:25 AM by rbgar »

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
 :o
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:35:24 AM by rbgar »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »

To me, the whole reason for having a 12 foot board is the increased glide. I want to get into waves as early as possible and then be able to turn and carve once on the wave. If a 12 or 14 foot board can't catch a wave significantly earlier than a 10 footer of the same width, there is little point in surfing it.

Amen.  this is the touring, Knee and under wave board I am looking for

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »

Amen.  this is the touring, Knee and under wave board I am looking for
Absolutely. I love my PSH 12ft Gun for this reason. But I also wish I had one of these; why doesn’t every big brand have a board like this in their range? They are SO versatile and it feels like an occasion every time to step on one:

https://youtu.be/k9UOKABwRVc

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Surfed good on that board, are the PSH boards similar to the Tom Carroll boards it looks to have a beveled rail.
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal