Author Topic: BigBoy 12' Sunova Search  (Read 17885 times)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
BigBoy 12' Sunova Search
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:27:16 AM »
I thought some fellow Zoners would like to follow this custom build so I start a dedicated thread. Christmas present to myself!

It all started like this: Thought this would be fun and appealing to the big boys out there, and after seeing that beautiful Sunova "Nozza" Search.

My Specs: 6'3", 230#trunking, 53yo, decent all around waterman. I've sent Bert, Tino & Rick an inquiry with my ideas/mods on a custom using the 12' Search 12x30"x4.5" 179L as a starter. I want a 12' board to access Pt Breaks  that are a couple miles out, want it to be a good paddler w/glide and max stability that can surf 2' to 10'.

Well we've settled in with the following and I can't wait to surf it.

Basic dims 12' x 32" x 4.75" @ 198L. Emerald Green Resin Tint

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:29:00 AM by rbgar »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: BigBoy 12' Sunova Search
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »
I'm surprised he widened it by two inches. That is going to slow the board down and decrease glide. Do you really need that much stability in a 12 foot board? The Search is somewhat of a slow board to begin with (as are most 12 foot all around boards). I don't see this being an easy board to paddle very far in the ocean. Don't expect it to have a lot of glide, although it does look like he may have hardened the rails a bit which might help.

I hope you don't mind my critique. It's just my opinion. It's better that you think of these things now rather than after you get the board. I want you to be 100% happy with the board when you get it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:21:17 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:06:53 AM »
Badger,  It looks like he thought about it a lot?   You probably would not like anything I'm comfortable with, but I'm Ok with what works for you; it's your thing.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
I'm surprised he widened it by two inches. That is going to slow the board down and decrease glide. Do you really need that much stability in a 12 foot board? The Search is somewhat of a slow board to begin with (as are most 12 foot all around boards). I don't see this being an easy board to paddle very far in the ocean. Don't expect it to have a lot of glide, although it does look like he may have hardened the rails a bit which might help.

I can see rbgar's thinking was this is not speed board, and the 32" will give that added stability when it gets choppy. The foil will slow it down going down the line, but will allow it to turn harder. My 11'6 Naish Nalu is 29.5" wide but has a full long board nose which adds to the stability. Same with my 10' x 29.5 Coreban Icon, but the Icon has a very thin tail (but it is a little tippy, and sucks in the chop) . Both have straighter rails which allow for speed paddling and down the line, but you really have to surf them off the tail. The way rbgar has it, I think it will turn harder, not have to surf it off the tail so much and it will feel more stable which saves your legs. Looks like a fun board to get you to those outer reefs.  I would have maybe gone with 12'4  ::)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:19:02 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
If rbgar is happy with the design, then I am happy with it as well. I just hope that it does what he wants it to. I can't wait to see it.   8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »

Thanks for posting this rbgar.  I'm about your size and have ridden the 12 foot PSH board many times.

I'm in Badger's camp.  I think the 32 across is too wide also.  It wouldn't surf that great I think.  The 12 PSH was 29" across and surfed really good.  I wouldn't go over 30" wide but thats just me.

I would ask Bert for the most stable standing and paddling design features and as narrow as would be comfortable.  That would at least mean a stable flat sweet spot for paddling and a flat bottom under where you stand.  Board made with "Performance" rocker for surfing.

I also owned a 10'6" PSH gun board that was 32 across.  It was stable and paddled ok but in large surf (that the board was designed for) began to pull backwards in the tube due to too much width I think.  Dropping into large surf was sometimes problematic due to the width.

There seems to be a move to these narrower larger boards like the Search in Australia.  Those Sunova guys do a lot of research on their designs.  I like the original Search 12x30"x4.5" 179L better.  Maybe with less volume.?  Maybe Supthecreek will chim in.?  His input would be valuable to you.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Thx guys, I know from being a old racing sailboat builder (many America's Cup, Whitbread/Volvo boats and everything in between) that all designs are a compromise within the box. One must try to pick parameters that fit, it"s the "Horses for Courses" methodology, with a rather large jockey. With my design brief this is what we are coming up with so far, I am looking at volume/stability/performance deltas from widths 30.5, 31, 31.5 & 32", may end up being a little thinner.

And of course I would love to say that I'll be riding 10+' hollow freight trains but in reality at biggest it may ever be is 10' walled up East Coast point break waves so it doesn't need to be a huge wave spear etc. Majority of the time this board will be at its prime riding and confidently crowd controlling my local points during swells big and small, if it ever starts to look like Mav's or Jaws etc my old ass is in the truck heading to the pub!

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »
rbgar,

How do you position your new Search v.v. the 10+' foot Hammer, which you already have?

Speed, stability, turning, paddling, .....

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Looks like an absolute fun machine!

I've surfed something similar in size on my favorite point break from knee to head high, insane wave count.
Love the color too. Enjoy!
in progress...

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »
rbgar,

How do you position your new Search v.v. the 10+' foot Hammer, which you already have?

It will replace the 10’6” Hammer, and to a point my 14’ Bark. The Hammer is a good all around family board, it surfs ok after getting used to it, the girls got a big ass on her with plenty of stability, decent nose rider but like I said it takes some getting used to as it’s deff a hybrid board with a lot going on.

As mentioned I’m a pretty big guy and my first board was a Avanti that actually surfed very very well for being huge 12’6” x 36” fuckton of volume, I used to take that Avanti on the same distance paddles and waves I’m going to take this Search to, so I’m sure it will perform as expected.

Selling the Hammer and maybe the Bark also as I really don’t race, this Search will round out my quiver with my beloved Flow.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »
  Nice board.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 03:48:51 AM »
rbgar,

It will replace the 10’6” Hammer, and to a point my 14’ Bark. The Hammer is a good all around family board, it surfs ok after getting used to it, the girls got a big ass on her with plenty of stability, decent nose rider but like I said it takes some getting used to as it’s deff a hybrid board with a lot going on.

As mentioned I’m a pretty big guy and my first board was a Avanti that actually surfed very very well for being huge 12’6” x 36” fuckton of volume, I used to take that Avanti on the same distance paddles and waves I’m going to take this Search to, so I’m sure it will perform as expected.

Selling the Hammer and maybe the Bark also as I really don’t race, this Search will round out my quiver with my beloved Flow.

Isn't the Avanti 11'2?

If you are still going to do flatwater now and then, you might want to keep the Bark.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:58:02 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 07:25:56 AM »

yes

[/quote]

Isn't the Avanti 11'2?

If you are still going to do flatwater now and then, you might want to keep the Bark.
[/quote]

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
I like the dims, like you said it's all compromise....this looks like a board I'd enjoy too. The difference in speed paddling out to a break 2 miles out will be negligible....you're not racing...so what if it takes a few more minutes. Sorry Badger but you're comment "I don't see this being an easy board to paddle very far in the ocean"  sounds nuts to me. I think this board will be very easy to paddle many miles in the ocean.  I'd rather have the stability and the surfier outline for when I get out there. Pulled in nose, nicely refined rails, looks like a winner for what you want. Can't wait to see it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »
I like the dims, like you said it's all compromise....this looks like a board I'd enjoy too. The difference in speed paddling out to a break 2 miles out will be negligible....you're not racing...so what if it takes a few more minutes. Sorry Badger but you're comment "I don't see this being an easy board to paddle very far in the ocean"  sounds nuts to me. I think this board will be very easy to paddle many miles in the ocean.  I'd rather have the stability and the surfier outline for when I get out there. Pulled in nose, nicely refined rails, looks like a winner for what you want. Can't wait to see it.

I was thinking of how the board will deal with wind and chop. I guess it depends on what you compare it to. I think if the board could be made a little faster, it can be a good ocean board and still surf really well. It might even surf better with more speed and glide. When designing a board, I always look at the negatives and try to correct them. If you correct it too far, it becomes a negative. Somewhere in between is the perfect shape.

When paddling two miles in the ocean against 15 - 20 knots of wind, the difference between this board and one with more glide may be hours not minutes.

When surfing, more glide equates to catching the wave earlier, getting farther out in front of the curl where you can carve, and getting longer rides. That's what surfing these big boards is all about.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:23:20 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal