Author Topic: Vehicle to Vehicle and V2X - Very Cool  (Read 3956 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle to Vehicle and V2X - Very Cool
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
There's a reason why Uber has so much value in the Valley--and it's not taxi rides.

Technology has always been a two-edged sword, but now the rate of change is so rapid that it's impossible to control. Nuclear weapons have been around for seventy years, and the genie has remained more or less in the bottle. Not so easy to do today.

When I rambled about smartphones it made me think of how much tech is actually embedded in one. Disregard sensors, cameras, touch control, gyroscopes, haptics, proximity detection, etc. and just consider communications--the fundamental function. Every smartphone has at least three radios that hand off communication with no intervention, mostly seamlessly. A constant stream, receiving information from multiple satellites, Transmitting and receiving data, audio, video, managing multiple protocols and CODECs, all without intervention or control. The more you think about it, or know about it, the more like magic it becomes--nearly incomprehensible. Technologists view the stack for that technology as perhaps five or at most ten layers deep, but really it's thousands of layers, all the way to the quantum level going down and all the way up to space exploration. I wouldn't mind all the people staring constantly at their smartphone if they were looking at it in wonder, but really they're using it to say "I'm here, and I'm going there". Or to shoot selfies.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:02:15 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »
Very cool! Still a few years away from widespread adoption. I look forward to the time when driverless technology will take many vehicles off our roads. It can’t happen soon enough.

Bob
Because many will be scared to death to go out there with all those driverless cars.

The most difficult programming in AVs is interacting with erratic humans. People turn left in front of you when there isn't enough time unless you jump on the breaks, run red lights, step off the curb against the light, etc. Other people have accidents when this happens. Not every time but often. But if an AV has an accident 1 in 1000 times when that happens, people are up in arms even though a person might have had an accident 1 in 50 times in those situations. I am just making up ballpark numbers; I think the real numbers are worse than that. We really aren't that good at driving. Most people think they are far better than average drivers and the stats are about other people. Some are right; most are not. But that is a big part of why people won't accept them.
Agree 100%, it's a mental thing more than a tech thing, it would probably take a generation of manual drivers to die off before it's totally excepted.
But then there is the future of weaponry, an electronic pulse that could knock out the technology, making all the cars go out of control or just stop.  Leaving the car owners with a manual backup that they don't know how to use.  Which I said "car owners" not 'car drivers'.  The future's so bright, I've got to wear  8).
It takes a quiver to do that.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
Two words I forgot in my earlier post about machines being better drivers - road rage. Lots of accidents could be avoided or the situations that caused them never created if there weren't any emotions involved. That problem goes away with AVs.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal