Author Topic: SUP Travel Packing Tips - 2 Boards  (Read 4715 times)

Fuzzy Boy

• Fuzzy Boy
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Travel Packing Tips - 2 Boards
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »
Great CR tips in the thread.  We have a group of 4 targeting the Playa Marbella area in April. Anyone have experience with the Marbella surf inn?  Any tips on house or hotel rentals in the Nosara area? 

Was thinking of taking 1 sup board and my foil board if there are waves to foil on in this area?  Any foil waves in the area that or should I just leave it at home?

I like the two paddles tip and will bring them for sure.  Thanks.
10’ kings SS...86"’ kings crossover...6'2" kings foil
Quickblade...Axis Foil, Kāohi leash...Futures...Paddle Belt

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 05:16:30 AM »
Appst we have to update this or maybe do a proper north CR thread?

Apologies for not reaching out but I had 2 things come up. First my wife had a cold for the start of the trip and just barely recovered enough to have some fun so we stayed closer to Tamarindo. Secondly, and this was nicer news, I decided to do the intermediate surf program at Witches Rock. That kept me busy most days and handled my local spot travel for me.

It was a great idea as it turns out. They put me on great waves, finally corrected my pop up (I’m a “real” prone surfer now after years of learning on my own) and I didn’t have to think, just surf.

Next trip, I’ll probably explore more on my own and just get a guide for a day or two, and do a trip to Witches Rock and Ollie’s (camp is not at the breaks, btw.)

Hate that we didn’t meet up, but I’ll bet we do. This is now my goto Winter trip and since work was really easy to do from there I think we might go for several weeks next year and just work remotely.

Yeah, I had a great trip - didn't really make it to surf in Tamarindo - I did eat at Dragonflies (which was really good by the way) and Sprout. Great trip, took a 1 day class with Blue Zone/Paddlewoo, discovered some things I was doing wrong that I had no clue about. Great feedback, highly recommend a week or trying to get some time with them, Chase was really insightful. Pretty much chest-shoulder high the whole time with OV sets. It got a bit windy at Avellanas towards the end of the week, but it was a fun trip regardless. 4-5 hours of surfing most days. Finally got Little Hawaii when it was breaking too, fun wave. Definitely seemed to ride backside (right) more on this trip than usual.

A few tips for anyone heading to Nosara especially:

1. The crowds were a bit thick, but.......it seems primetime is roughly 7:30 - 9:30, so I would get up and go at sunrise (around 6) until 7:15,  eat breakfast, and go back from roughly 9:30 to 12, the offshores drop off quite a bit along with the crowds. Onshores come in the afternoon with a clean up before sunset.

2. This is pretty much common sense, but I made the mistake on previous trips of wearing myself out trying to get out; sit on the inside and just wait the set out. I used to try and prone paddle out, dive under, paddle like crazy, so on and so forth. Now.........if I take one of the first waves of the set or see a set coming, I pretty much just make sure I'm out of everyone's way and wait it out.

3. Watch your stuff - I'm pretty trusting, almost to a fault. No issues on Guiones, but Avellanas, I had a pair of sandals (which I put in a bag buried in the sand) stolen. It happens, I still love CR, but......just keep this in mind.

Oh, and the Soloshot - where the pictures came from, worked 20 minutes out of a 2 hour session, par for the course. I have some more video coming from BlueZone, just waiting on the Dropbox. Let me know if you have any questions.

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 07:24:14 PM »
Been following this thread. Glad to hear you had a good trip. Also appreciate all the info here. 4 of us are headed down in a few weeks. We have been a couple of times but only to prone surf. Most of us have only gotten into SUP within the last couple of years and really enjoy it. I am looking forward to trying it there. May not get the chance this trip but want to try to find some good spots for next time.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 04:51:42 AM »
Great CR tips in the thread.  We have a group of 4 targeting the Playa Marbella area in April. Anyone have experience with the Marbella surf inn?  Any tips on house or hotel rentals in the Nosara area? 

Was thinking of taking 1 sup board and my foil board if there are waves to foil on in this area?  Any foil waves in the area that or should I just leave it at home?

I like the two paddles tip and will bring them for sure.  Thanks.

Check with surfercook - he's stayed in Marbella. I've driven through there between Nosara and Avellanas a few years back, nice beach. Far as foil, I would say there's definitely some waves that it's possible, but you would really have to search it out a bit. It's primarily beachbreaks around Marbella.

I talked to Chase (Blue Zone SUP coach), and he's actively looking for spots to foil around Nosara/northern CR. It may be worth checking in with him as well.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal