Author Topic: Installing Footstraps on Foil Board  (Read 8045 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Installing Footstraps on Foil Board
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:49:13 AM »
The debate may continue over footstraps but I am convinced that all the best guys are riding with Straps on SUP’s.  More on the advantages later.

My trusty 6’ 6” Blue Planet Easy Foiler was laid up with repairs so I decided to do a ‘hybrid’ installation of footstraps on my 7’ 4” x 32” x 125 Liter L41.  This was my backup board but has since become a favorite.

I used NSI ‘Stick-on’ footstrap mounts.  I had heard that these did not necessarily last on boards so I fortified the attachment with 2 layers of 4” x 4” of 6 oz cloth and epoxy.  I decided on the NSI strap mounts because they would be less invasive than installing footstrap track inserts.  Aka no need to pierce the outer structure of the board.

Steps:

1)   Identify where the BACK foot would be placed.  I have been liking my back foot as far back as possible but NOT behind the trailing edge of the mast.  Essentially the center of my back foot OVER the trailing edge of the mast

2)   Stance Width:  27.5” Center to Center.  This stance is SLIGHTLY tighter than I originally started out with.  I was running 28.5” but as I got better moved this back 1”.

3)   Cut off Deck pads using new razor blade to peel away pads

4)   Cleaned up the deck with razor blade, GooGone and a chisel.

5)   Mapped out the placement of the footstap base plates.  Front strap over center line, center of strap placed 2” respectively OFF the center line.  8” spread between front and back strap.

6)   Rear plates with square edge on centerline e.g. center of plate ~ 1.5 offset towards the toe side of board.  8” between center of plates.

7)   Cut out 4” x 4” squares of 6 oz cloth

8)   Cut out holes in the 4” x 4” cloth for the elevated screw inserts

9)   Filled the screw holes with silly putty

10)   Cleaned up the deck of the board and SANDED to roughen up surface

11)   Used 3M sticky pads to adhere plates to deck

12)   Laminated over each plate with Epoxy and 4” x 4” glass
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:08:59 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Footstraps on Foil Board
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »
Photos
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:07:57 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »
More

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 06:54:30 AM »
Ready to Fly

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »
I have 20 sessions using this board with these straps.  LOVE IT!!!!

I am going to use the NSI straps in an adaptive fashion on my Easy Foiler.

The Slingshot footstraps are VERY Rigid. Much better than my old DaKine windsurfing footstraps that I had been using.   This combined with the 2 hole mounting means that the strap retains its shape AND DOES NOT TWIST. 

The twisting from one hole installations results in the strap deforming which causes difficulty getting your front foot in the strap.  I am now foiling with 1 (one) booty on my front foot.  I have concluded that the majority of FOIL CONTROL comes from the back foot. 

The front foot is essential to a clean takeoff and controlling pitch.  BUT this doesn't require as much fine tuning as the rear foot.  When you get better you want more control coming from the back foot for turning.  I therefore run asymmetric with a booty on my front foot and a bare backfoot.

THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR YOU COLD WATER GUYS - I have been able to ride with 2 booties just with slightly less control (from the back foot).  If the water gets really cold I will put the second booty on.   

Footstraps have proven problematic to the Booty Crew, and I agree, but this configuration of newer, stiffer 2 hole attachment provides hope that you can foil with booties.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:05:27 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
I suggest you try the NSI mounts without glassing over them in the future. I think these inserts are cast silicone rubber, if that's the case there won't be any adhesion to the glass--just encapsulation--which is of limited benefit. I've seen plenty of foilers using the NSI strap mounts with no problem. I suspect it's more a matter of getting the surface well prepped and maximizing the VHB adhesion once the insert is in place than any fundamental flaw.

The best mounting surface is hard, smooth, and micro-abraded using very fine sandpaper or a fine abrasive pad. Rough sanding is bad.

Temperature and application pressure are the most important factors once the surface is prepped. Most people stick the mounts on and go play. Bad idea. At 40F the bond strength is at 40 percent for at least 72 hours. At 150F it takes an hour to reach full strength assuming the tape was pressed with 15 pounds or more of pressure during application. At room temperature it's 24 hours or more. More pressure is better, higher temps are better, more time is better. That's why you might be able to pry up a VHB-adhered product in the first few minutes, but after an hour or so it will take the substrate material right along with it.

I'm using VHB tape to provide the primary connection of the wind deflector I'm installing on Fritz, my '78 GMC MoHo. I read up on the product--as much information as 3m offers to civilians. They don't publish adhesion strength specs in their public literature--at least not that I could find--so I tested it myself. I made a 1" X 1" plate of Aluminum with a tab welded on to hang weights. I applied VHB to the plate after prep (light sanding, cleaning with acetone) then stuck it to a second plate also prepped, and applied a 25-pound weight for one hour, Then I let it sit for one day at about 75F. Hung weights off it. When I got to 250 pounds I quit. Didn't want to lose a toe. Given proper application, I'm reasonably certain you'd break bones before you'd pull straps.

I tried to pull the plates apart in my press and ripped the tab off one--my somewhat shitty one-sided TIG T-weld failed before the tape did. So I made two more and did the same process only I didn't wait before testing. The bond failed at less than 100 pounds--I don't remember the exact number.

Bottom line--above 150F and properly micro-abraded you can use the mount in about an hour. If it's colder you have to wait a lot longer and if it's 40F or thereabouts it won't reach 100 percent even after 72 hours. The bond strength percentage keeps climbing, but you might have to wait a month if you can't warm the parts up.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:54:42 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »
You might also check out the Jimmy Lewis foil straps. I think they are excellent. They allow a lot of position and angle adjustment and stay open even after rack abuse. I don't know that he sells them separately, but he should. These look like the straps that come with JL foil boards, but when I click "buy now" nothing happens. http://www.jimmylewis.eu/accessories/directional-straps/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »

The debate may continue over footstraps but I am convinced that all the best guys are riding with Straps on SUP’s.  More on the advantages later.

My trusty 6’ 6” Blue Planet Easy Foiler was laid up with repairs so I decided to do a ‘hybrid’ installation of footstraps on my 7’ 4” x 32” x 125 Liter L41.  This was my backup board but has since become a favorite.

I used NSI ‘Stick-on’ footstrap mounts.  I had heard that these did not necessarily last on boards so I fortified the attachment with 2 layers of 4” x 4” of 6 oz cloth and epoxy.  I decided on the NSI strap mounts because they would be less invasive than installing footstrap track inserts.  Aka no need to pierce the outer structure of the board.

Steps:

1)   Identify where the BACK foot would be placed.  I have been liking my back foot as far back as possible but NOT behind the trailing edge of the mast.  Essentially the center of my back foot OVER the trailing edge of the mast

2)   Stance Width:  27.5” Center to Center.  This stance is SLIGHTLY tighter than I originally started out with.  I was running 28.5” but as I got better moved this back 1”.

3)   Cut off Deck pads using new razor blade to peel away pads

4)   Cleaned up the deck with razor blade, GooGone and a chisel.

5)   Mapped out the placement of the footstap base plates.  Front strap over center line, center of strap placed 2” respectively OFF the center line.  8” spread between front and back strap.

6)   Rear plates with square edge on centerline e.g. center of plate ~ 1.5 offset towards the toe side of board.  8” between center of plates.

7)   Cut out 4” x 4” squares of 6 oz cloth

8)   Cut out holes in the 4” x 4” cloth for the elevated screw inserts

9)   Filled the screw holes with silly putty

10)   Cleaned up the deck of the board and SANDED to roughen up surface

11)   Used 3M sticky pads to adhere plates to deck

12)   Laminated over each plate with Epoxy and 4” x 4” glass

Beasho,

Thank you for this write up! I put a pair of stick on footstraps following the dimensions and directions (I didn't glass them, stuck them straight on after the prep work). I'm letting it sit and then will give it go!!

Ben

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
Following Beasho’s post, here are the pics of the straps. I went 2.5 inches off center and it’s workong great!! The river is tough in gear and the straps are holding after two heavy sessions. One of the mounts pulled off a different board because of paint so I took the adhesive off and put 30 lb double sided Gorilla tape.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 04:32:49 PM »
Next installation:

Footstrap mount WELL behind the holes in the Blue Planet Board.

Here is a picture of Sam Pae's board.  See the rear footstrap installed in the middle of the handle. 

Why?  Because we have started to use smaller tail wings with the larger front wings such as the IWA.  When you try this you'll notice that the rear tailwing exerts significant DOWNFORCE which pushes UP on your front foot.  Switch to a smaller tail wing and all that necessary front foot pressure is reduced.  But you'll also notice that pitch control is significantly compromised having your front foot so far forward e.g. in the original spot for the larger tailwing. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:42:29 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
The best mounting surface is hard, smooth, and micro-abraded using very fine sandpaper or a fine abrasive pad. Rough sanding is bad.

Temperature and application pressure are the most important factors once the surface is prepped.

OK!  Thank you Pono I am going to give this a try.

The REARWARD foostrap inserts start 3.25 inches BACK from the front strap holes.  This should also move the back of the strap ~ to the middle of the handle per Sam's example.  So I:

1) Removed the deck pad
2) Had to get rid of the thin adhesive layer.  This was difficult.  What worked was scrapping the surface VERTICALLY with a Razor blade scratching off the adhesive
3) Sanded the surface with 320 grit sandpaper
4) Quickly heated the NSI mount with a heat gun then stuck in place
5) Placed a 40 lbs Pry Bar on top of the mount
6) Put a space heater above the mount.  I'll give it 6 hours.

Hard, Smooth, Micro-Abraided, with Pressure and Heat - CHECK!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:47:10 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
New Strap Position will be along GREEN arrow.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »
You can see that I used the NSI mount on the front of the forward strap to prevent twist.

The single hole tracks in the Blue Planet were permitting the straps to twist making foot insertion a bit tricky.  The blue board above with the NSI mounts was much more stiff and NICER.

I drilled 2 holes through the NSI mount and then used the 2 sheet metal screws to attach the front strap.  This resulted in a much stiffer strap orientation even with just 1 NSI mount. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:05:01 PM by Beasho »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 04:36:21 AM »
Nice trick with the NSI  mounts, no more rotation and possibility to fine tune foot strap position and  no more footstrap screwholes accidentally enlarged with te screw anymore...
I have the feeling I stand to much on the heel side of the board and the center to center distance between the straps is only 24 inch feels to narrow back foot behind the back footstrap when paddling for a wave feels better.
I don't like to 'damage' a brand new board so this is a nice way to change the footstrap position!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal