Author Topic: Divinycell OVER fiberglass skin?  (Read 2923 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Divinycell OVER fiberglass skin?
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
Wanting to change to a flatter rocker on a conversion to foilboard

Planning to tack a divinycell wedge (to flatten rocker) down to the sanded existing skin, and then vac it down with a covering layer of carbon/glass

Was going to tack it with maybe just contact cement spray ...or gorilla glue as the strength will come from the new skin....just need it steady while fairing it

Stripping the pre-existing bottom skin would save weight, but then I'd have to fair up a bigger mess with more pockets and tack the diviynicell to beat up foam

Thoughts?   TIA
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Divinycell OVER fiberglass skin?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
I'd guess that every sandwich construction board on the planet has exactly that, so sure. The usual method is to use something like 3M spray cement.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
Pono, this brings up something I’ve wondered about.

Do they glue the foam down on top of the light glass inner layer or do the lam it all up wet and bag all the sandwich elements at once? Anyone know?

If it’s later, that seems way easier but I wondered if it affected the structure to do it later.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
cowboy ...anytime it can all kick off at once is better...unibody construction  I'm sure builds vary, but next layer on tacky  is good..

BTW, the 3M  77 on skin to divinycell was a fail for me, as i was trying to follow a rocker, and using 1/2 divinycell....had it down tight, but then the sander vibration started lifing it off, and so i went to poxy
It' a reverse or double sandwich, and the hard skin was first...vibrated too much
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
I've never built a sandwich board, but I've watched the process at SIC for downwind boards and Kai Wa'a for OC1. There it's divinycell in a female mold and no sanding, so I can't really answer your question. They used spraymount.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal