Author Topic: Foil for a 240 lbs surfer  (Read 8829 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil for a 240 lbs surfer
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »

get  a GoFoil you will not be disappointed...ive been on head high waves full speeed and hit rocks square....PAAAANNNG!...many times whole learning....oahu...maui...malibu...all over socal....like 10+ times....board stops....i go right over the handlebars...come up thinking....oh shoot....oh Shoot....oh SHOOT!...hope i didnt just destroy my new toy...but...nothing...no damage...maybe a little nick of the paint on the wing..thats it!...Alex did his research and development properly...these things are built SOLID...i certainly do not recommend doing that but ever but im a believer....

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »
My 2 cents.  I started foiling at 235 pounds.  Been foiling for 9 months 4-5 times a week and can do so proficiently.  I started on an m200 but knowing what I know now, would have started on a 1600 wing.  Today, I ride a 1600 and wouldn't go back to a 2000 even in small surf.  I don't find it fun to constantly fight the amount of lift from such a 2000 wing.  I'm guessing it's not the answer you want to hear but if I were you I'd try to make your wing work.  A 1600 wing has plenty of lift.  Not sure how far along you are but a couple of things that may help.  First thing to check is your foot position.  Your front foot should be about 27 inches in front of the front tuttle screw.  If you're still not getting enough move the front foot back an inch at a time.  It's surprising how much of a difference moving your foot back 1 inch makes.  Your back foot should be on the back screw.  I use a foot strap in the front and a kick pad in the back to help find the right place.  Check out Sam Pa'e on youtube explaining moving his weight back and forth on the board.  Once you're on the wave shift your weight to your back foot to lift off then trim level and point down the line.  Last, stay high on the wave ride on the peak if you can.  Most of the time when it feels like I'm not getting power, I'm in the flat in front of the wave.  Anyway, hope that helps.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 08:37:05 PM »
Wow, all that is SO right on Junkie. It's easier to have initial success with an M200, but once you can get up on smaller stuff with an Iwa (about 180) you'll hate to bolt the 200 on--as I do when it's really punky. The biggest difference for me is NO faceplants with an Iwa and beaucoup with an M200. All the same, when it's weak, the 200 goes on.

But yeah, if Steamroller can't bust it, it can't be busted. He's a fucking animal, and a blast to foil with.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:39:02 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 02:13:55 AM »
I'm catching waves fine, I'm just not getting enough speed to get off the water unless I have a steep drop. On these small days I'll just grovel along looking like I'm doing the worlds most ridiculous Huntington hop trying to pump the board into the air. I have a pad set 27 inches forward of the bolts. I can have my foot 6 inches short of the pad and still not get up, at which point my stance to too narrow to maintain any kind of balance anyway. The board can catch and stay on the wave, but I can't get the foil up for more than a couple of seconds unless it one of those steep peeling waves that I don't really need a foil for anyway.

I've been at this since May at least once or twice a week trying to make it work, broken two foils already. I'm trashed a lot of gear the internet told me was durable so I'm not too keen on buying anything from a company that has already written me out of the warranty.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 05:00:39 AM »
Exiled, what you describe is typical of foiling a wing lacking enough lift for your weight.

You’re going to need something else.

The only other monster wing game in town to my knowledge is Signature foils Albatross from Africa and Axis foils from New Zealand. Both available in Hawaii, but harder to find mainland.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 05:07:15 AM »
Signature Albatross. It’s freaky how far and fast it glides with each pump with a normal size guy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqo_LZNHLb0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=4xeru5p30p9

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 05:13:50 AM »
I emailed Signature, they say soon they will be available in U.S., but not yet.  Their foils are all made in South Afrika now.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 06:01:06 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Maliko 200.

I fell in love with this wing on the East coast in the 8 to 9 second interval waves that predominate.  I was reluctant to use my IWA for fear of missing out on all the flying when it got to be over 5 ft.  I am 'lighter' at 185 but this means you will get more headroom out of the wing.

Here is a video I made of the Carvability.  The TRACE overlays show the cutbacks.  I then added my 118 daughters ability to swing the wing around behind a 5 hp boat.  Any grown man who claims they can't turn the wing I just point to my daughter and say "she can turn it."  Did I mention she had NO experience on water skis or on a surfboard prior to to doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx31uu2DPo

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »
I emailed Signature, they say soon they will be available in U.S., but not yet.  Their foils are all made in South Afrika now.

That’s kinda funny. I guess Maui isn’t part of the US. Malt Simmer on Maui is the importer there. Big Mike has one.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »
Actually, there are quite a few in Maui. The reason Maui is different isn't geopolitical, it's concentration. If you want to see how your foil will do in the market, Maui is it. Lots of foilers on Oahu or in California as well, but Maui is more concentrated. If Ka'a point is really good the parking lot is packed solid with overflow to the street, and there will be 40 foilers out and 10 more on the beach, ranging from the best in the world to fakers like me. If the Cali waves are good there might be 50 foilers out--scattered along 800 miles of coastline.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:34:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Maliko 200.

I then added my 118 daughters ability to swing the wing around behind a 5 hp boat.  Any grown man who claims they can't turn the wing I just point to my daughter and say "she can turn it."  Did I mention she had NO experience on water skis or on a surfboard prior to doing this.

Ruby's got some great reactions to overfoiling. body forward, head up. That's hard for an old surfer to adapt to.

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »
Sounds like you have the foot position.  Maybe there is less energy in the waves there.  Have you tried riding on the hump of the wave?  I mean on the very top, where you are on the verge of falling off the back?  Even on a powerful wave, if you're in the flats in front of it, you wont get any lift or speed.  You also want the foil high in the water, just below breach.  Even on a tiny wave you can unweight by leaping off the board and get the foil up high. 

In retrospect I found the m200 was just masking my shortcomings.  Riding the right size wing makes you chase the wave energy.  If you're going holy crap fast on a knee high wave, you're doing it right.  Can you have someone take a video of you riding?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:57:54 AM by WindJunkie »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
exciled....I’ve got a story you can relate to.

Yesterday I was foiling, when I spotted a new guy on the water. He appeared to be young, talented, and very good. Pumping into every wave he paddled for with ease. Yet, each flight was a dud. He could not keep it airborne. I could tell he was a good foiler from his technique. I was sure he was on a tiny foil, maybe a kite foiler trying to SUP his kite wing, I thought. Waves were waist to head high. Good power.

We met up on the beach, only to discover he was on a huge wing, with the same span as my wing, but mine being a different brand. His wing is a known dud. So we swapped gear. He foiled like a hero on mine.

Wings matter. There are duds out there. Not saying yours is, haven’t ridden yours. Just a possibility.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:30:47 AM by Dwight (DW) »

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
His wing is a known dud.

Feel like naming names?  Am shopping for foils and would like to know before I buy a dud.  Even a PM would be much appreciated.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 12:38:46 PM »

That’s kinda funny. I guess Maui isn’t part of the US. Malt Simmer on Maui is the importer there. Big Mike has one.
I guess not, because apparently when talking about watermen sports, Hawaii is its own whatever...

...nice flag though (even if it does have the GB flag in it, and not the US...but anyway ::)).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal