Author Topic: Foil for a 240 lbs surfer  (Read 8831 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Foil for a 240 lbs surfer
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
Okay, companies are rolling out foils faster than I can keep track, and announcing products that they don't actually have available even faster. My Ke Nalu 775 is about the same size as Go Foil's Iwa and I just can't get it up and flying unless the swell is pretty sizable. Most people I know around my size are riding a Maliko 200, but technically that foil isn't rated for the surf, or for people my size. I'm looking for a foil that is:

1) Available for order right now
2) Can lift a 240 lbs surfer in small surf (.8ft @ 9 sec)
3) Tuttle Mount
4) Not going to void my warranty by taking it in the surf

Is it out there and I'm just missing it, or am I dreaming?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil for a 240 lbs surfer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:53:56 PM »
im 230# and can take off on  1'bumps and get 4 and 5 for.ones all.the time on the maliko 200...ALLthe big guys ride the maliko 200 on a SUP ...nothing else has anywhere nearly enough lift in small.waves....8.months now working GREAT...Alex did his research and development properly....little.guys can pretty much ride anything they want but big guys need the lift only the GoFoil has😁

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:48:52 AM »
I'm 200lbs.  I have the ride engine/slingshot 84, I rarely ride it unless it's knee high or under, the 76 and smaller wings have enough lift for me.  I have taken the 84 in fast moving overhead surf just to see how it felt, blew me out of the water before I could get my feet set.

As far as warranty/durability.  What I like about these foils is they are modular and affordable, so if something breaks it's relatively cheap to repair/replace.  I have several masts, wings, fuse, and all holding up well.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:59 AM »
The large Naish wing will fly you. Also both the Maliko 200 and the IWA will work for your weight. The Maliko 200 feels like you’re cheating because it flys so we’ll and keeps you up on the smalles bumps. The down side is that once the waves get chest high or bigger, the M200 is really hard to keep from blowing out of the water. If you fly without footstraps you can get your feet forward enough to control the lift. With straps I found there was no way to keep the board down on even medium sized waves, even with my strap all the way forward. At the time I was on the Maliko my weight floated between 230-240. My wife put me on a diet and so I’m getting closer to 200 everyday.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »
I'm 230lbs and I use the M200 and Iwa. M200 is fine for me in most conditions. I overfoil sometimes, but I think that's more from getting cocky and ignoring proper weight balance than wave size. I've used mine in waves to head high and I can keep it under control, but it requires concentration and lots of weight shift forward during takeoff. The critical element for me is shifting weight forward while I keep my head up and back straight. If I lean forward from the waist I might successfully survive the takeoff and get the foil flying, but converting to a proper position to fly and turn is beyond me--I typically straighten up and blow right out of the water--I manage to do more overfoil faceplants than anyone I know because of this flaw. I like the Iwa a lot in bigger waves. The biggest difference is speed. The M200 gives me time to think and react, the Iwa is faster at everything. LOTS of people here on Maui use the M200 for surfing, I've never heard anything about it being not rated for surfing. I see Alex frequently, I'll ask him about it next time I do, but he's never said anything. I wouldn't use a 280 to surf, but I've seen it done with a really heavy guy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:33:58 AM »
From the GoFoil website: M200 

Designed as our primary downwind wing for endless glides on open ocean bumps and stiff offering smooth turning capabilities. The larger surface area of the Maliko 200 makes it the primary choice of those riders looking to take downwinders to the next level or needing maximum lift in the surf.

And yes, it says 210 pounds, no idea why, it's got plenty of lift, I've seen guys who weigh 280 or more riding it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »
The warranty disclaimer is pretty clear that being 240 lbs and taking it in the surf voids the warranty. I was looking for something more consumer friendly. Ke Nalu has taken very good care of me in that regard, but the current set of wings just isn't big enough for me.

https://gofoil.com/warrantydisclaimer/

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »
What actually fails on foils due to surf or heavery riders?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »
Nothing that I've seen. Early on some wings broke out in the socket, and I've seen a broken mast, but most of that stuff was from hitting bottom. Junya broke another company's prototype lightweight wing by pumping on it, but it was fairly light, and Junya could break the ears off a brass donkey.

The m200 will meet the first three of your four criteria. Your choice of how you want to conduct business, but if I had a failure that looked to me like a manufacturing or design defect I'd submit the claim regardless of disclaimers. It's the manufacturers choice to decide how hard a line to take and if they want to honor it or not. When I was doing marketing for a living I'd tell manufacturers over and over that warranties are a marketing expense--the cheapest marketing a company can do. Warranty cost as a percent of sales is typically less than 1 percent and if it's more than three percent then there is a design problem.

I've been riding my M200 for about a year without no problems, including all the learner mishaps, big waves, whacking it into reefs, scraping it on rocks, dropping it and other clumsy stuff. Still fine.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:35:58 PM by PonoBill »

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 01:08:44 PM »
I had a mast snap on me with a M200 wing attached. I fell while paddling out over the surf. The board got rolled by the wave and the mast snapped. Gofoil sold me another mast but it was still over $500 with shipping. It was  an expensive day of surfing.

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
Im 270 and I switch back and forth btwn the m200 and the iwa when prone surfing. Standup would be m200. The warranty thing is definitely annoying. Especially since GoFoil frequently posts instagram videos of people on m200 (and even some Brett lickle on an M280!) in the surf. But its a great wing and I never feel like Im fighting to get it flying which was definitely the case on my old takuma wing.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
Remember that the board itself is super important, the lighter the better and easier to fly. So that might be the problem ?

Maybe the Kenalu 775 is the same size as Gofoil IWA but different (not as good ...) ???

Naish XL might be the one you want, from what I heard it is right between IWA and M200.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 06:52:56 PM »
It's not a matter of good or bad. Foil design is a tradeoff in factors.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
It's not a matter of good or bad. Foil design is a tradeoff in factors.

Yes you are right, a foil that is not good for somebody can be great for somebodyelse.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »
It is unfortunate that wing, fuselage and mast building techniques have not kept up with riders needs, at least in the retail world.  There are only two  reasons manufactures do not create extra large wings, meant for the surf zone,  for extra large people.  Time and money.  Larger wings definitely need advanced construction techniques which I have found possible, while at the same time keeping costs down.  Time wise, It takes longer.  But hey, There will be people who will pay higher prices and be glad they did.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:38:26 AM by SUPeter »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal