Author Topic: Has anyone gone too short with their board?  (Read 4904 times)

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone gone too short with their board?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
Weight is super important, the lighter the better.

I would say go as short as possible but remember you need to be stable to have a strong efficient stroke otherwise you are going to miss a lot of waves...
The row effect is easy to deal with with good paddling technique.

Lately I switch from a 6'10 x 26 x 4.5 100L Takuma to a custom Brawner 6'0 x 26 x 4.7 110L. I really like the 6'10 Takuma but the 6'0 Brawner being super light it makes a big difference, definetly easier to pump back out and to turn.

Out of curiosity, how hard was it to go down to a 26" wide foil board and what width regular SUP do you surf?  I find the mast adds a lot of stability but never even considered going to 26"...

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »

I used to race on 14' x 22 and my sup surf is 7'4 x 26 92L.

So I guess I could probably go narrower but I think more go shorter and keep this width.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Got it, thanks!  Validated that I wouldn't want to go below 28" wide at my weight when I am ready; my board is still fine for me.  Interestingly, there seems to be competing philosophies around foil board size... one that says stay a little longer but go narrow vs. go really short but keep a bit of width.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Got it, thanks!  Validated that I wouldn't want to go below 28" wide at my weight when I am ready; my board is still fine for me.  Interestingly, there seems to be competing philosophies around foil board size... one that says stay a little longer but go narrow vs. go really short but keep a bit of width.

Agree, it is interesting to follow the evolution of the foil board design. As I said already, make sure you can paddle your board otherwise it is no use. Foiling is very tiring, you ride long long wave.

Another point is to work on paddling technique. Having a strong background with sup racing definetly helps me, I can paddle on one side and I can overpowered my stroke to fly earlier.

Off subject but I think lots of people foiling should consider working on the paddle basic technique, I see so many people having a bad technique.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal