Author Topic: Has anyone gone too short with their board?  (Read 4905 times)

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone gone too short with their board?
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
 If you have a board under 6'6", how happy are you with your decision?  Would you change the size if you could? 

I am trying to decide between 6'4'' and 5'11" for a new board.  Five days after getting my 6'10" L-41 I already wanted something smaller, so I am thinking the 5' 11" this time. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Has anyone gone too short with their board?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »
Big difference between 5’11 and 6’4 with a SUP.

I was shocked by how much higher performance my 5’11 was compared to my 6’4. The 5’11 was so quick and fast reacting, it took me by surprise. I absolutely love it. Having said that, I don’t recommend my 5’11 to anyone who’s not real good. My wife still rides the 6’4, and so does my bud.

Shocking because with my “prone” boards, going from 5’2, to 4’9, to 3’11 is a smaller incremental increase in performance.

I don’t build anything over 6’4 anymore. 6’4 is my starter length.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:45:44 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
I went from 7'4"x28.5"x4.5" @ 120L to 5'10.825"x28.5"x4.5" @108L, and pretty dang happy with it had I got the initial shape correct. Due to a lack of attention to detail on my part, I let 12" up from the tail end up wider than 12" from the nose leaving too much foam in the tail vs the nose, and as such...I have a tendency to bury the nose as I reach forward for my initial paddle stroke into the wave unless I time things just perfectly. It should be also be noted that (to keep a long story short) this board was hand-shaped instead of off a CNC machine, and as a result the finished dimensions ended up smaller than the original 6'x29"x4.5" that it was in the computer as.

That said, because of the mistake in the foam distribution as mentioned above and the overall reduced size the board came out as,  I have another board in the works that we corrected the outline on along with some additional changes, and to the original 6'x29"x4.75" @ 115 ltrs, and quite honestly, now that I've got the smaller board much more figured out since the time this new board was planned and cut...I wish I had just redistributed the foam, and left the current shorter length, and narrower width alone.  :(

So depending on how this one floats/works, we may reproduce the shape again, just in the shorter and narrower earlier dims (maybe even smaller, who knows). Because right now I don't think the lower liters for my weight is that much of a problem, it's just that I need more foam in the nose, and less in the tail to keep the nose above the water when I turn and reach for my first stroke into the wave, and then able to pump it up into it from there.

So if your gut is saying "5' 11" this time", I'd definitely say listen, and go with your first thought on it. Depending on your size (I'm 6'1" and 198lbs), I might even recommend going smaller than you really think you're able to do right now. Once the smaller boards are in the air, the fun value increases exponentially!  ;D So fun...
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
I just went 5’2” and love it!! It’s also carbon and light so once in the wave it’s like it’s not there!

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »
I just went 5’2” and love it!! It’s also carbon and light so once in the wave it’s like it’s not there!

The video of you on the 5'2" is very impressive.  It makes me feel like a wimp for having second thoughts about 5'11''. 

Big difference between 5’11 and 6’4 with a SUP.
I was shocked by how much higher performance my 5’11 was compared to my 6’4. 

This pretty much cements my choice, although I can't be considered  "real good". 

Hopefully I can learn to stand on it without too much trouble. :)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:08:43 AM »
I went from 8-0 to 6-0. No regrets so far.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
I went from 8-0 to 6-0. No regrets so far.

I was hoping you would chime in.    Thanks. :)  Mr. Kalama's paint jobs are my favorite ever.

I am also wondering if Sharksupper would get the 5'11 JL instead of his 6'4" if he had to replace it.  He stands on the 6'4" like it is a dock, and paddles back out faster that I can on a 7'10". 

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:07:32 AM »
I have a long way to go to be as good as you guys!
Just a question how do you paddle a board thats 6' and under?
The row effect is killing me....😆
Whats the secret?
50yrs old 93kgs board 6'3"
Scuba

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 01:48:41 AM »
Whats the secret?
Scuba
To old 😜

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:20:26 PM »
Weight is super important, the lighter the better.

I would say go as short as possible but remember you need to be stable to have a strong efficient stroke otherwise you are going to miss a lot of waves...
The row effect is easy to deal with with good paddling technique.

Lately I switch from a 6'10 x 26 x 4.5 100L Takuma to a custom Brawner 6'0 x 26 x 4.7 110L. I really like the 6'10 Takuma but the 6'0 Brawner being super light it makes a big difference, definetly easier to pump back out and to turn.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
Whats the secret?
Scuba

Check this video, it will help you. Paddling technique is super important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCB5W_bfTgY

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply French foiler.

I thought it was technique, i have watched the vid a few time Robert is really helpfull, also the artical from Colas with the imaginary nail in the rear of the board.
Practice i think.
Cheers
Scuba  ;D

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 08:39:50 PM »
Whats the secret?
Scuba
Remember that big turning device you have under your board...use it.

You'd be surprised how weighting the board a little on the side that you're paddling on will keep you going straight, as the foil/board is trying to go in the direction you have weighted, while the stroke of your paddle is trying to take you the other...net outcome...straight.  :)

EDIT: If that was in Robert's video, my apologies for being repetitious...I didn't watch the vid.  :-[ 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:42:18 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
I will give that a go too, wieghting the side that im paddling on, thanks sonoslatchsup

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 10:23:03 PM »
somehow i missed this was in the Foil section and i thought, shoots, i must really be a wimp using an 8 foot board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal