Author Topic: Smaller Surf SUPs for Bigger Guys  (Read 13158 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Smaller Surf SUPs for Bigger Guys
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Weeble, it might be difficult for you to try the Foote 10'4" X 34" and it's surely going to sound like too much board to you, but it's not. It surfs as well or better than my custom 9 foot Foote, it's absurdly stable and it slices through whitewater like it wasn't there. I think Rick Romano in Virginia beach has some of Bill's production boards, don't know if he has the 10'4".

I suspect that I'm the only guy that's tried this board so far, or there would be a lot more raving going on. It flies in the face of the current trend, and even in the face of where I've been going with my 9.0 Foote and my 8'8" L41. But it is simply amazing for a guy my size.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
Weeble as you can see from the responses there are many good choices.  Only you can decide what it is you are looking for in a SUS.  Fanatic, JP Australia, Starboard, Foote, L41 production boards or customs,North Pacific, Supsports, and my favorite is Stu Sharpe CoreVac Performer or Honey Badger.

At your size you have many options.  At first glance, 170 liters seems to be too much for your weight but 130 - 150 liters sounds a little more in your weight range.  But go with what you want and feel comfortable. 

If you want to try a few of my boards in the 170 to 150 range we can meet up in cocoa or indianatlantic for a surf.  Ps I feel real comfortable on my Laird Bark 14 also.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 07:07:17 AM »
Weeble
If you like the AW take a look at the new AW size wise the 9'1 would be an easy transition but if you wanna go as short as possible the AW 8'11 is doable the new AW is quicker rail to rail without losing down the line speed
If you want to Super Charge AW performance this year they are offered in LTD construction
Lastly we are offering not only ZONER disc but we have a reorder deal on 2015's
JimK
Www.extremewindsurfing.com

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »
I'm 45 years old, 6' 2", and about 210lbs.  Starting to do some comparissons on smaller surf SUPs.  Been paddling for about 3 years now in South Florida, mainly racing & touring.  I normally paddle a Bark Laird 14 and an older model Fanatic Fly 12.6 (the white one with the red stripe).  SUP surfing was alway aggravating for me as I always seem to heavy for the boards I tried ...snip... I liked the 9.5 length, and it seems that it's 170 liters might be about the magic number for me.  I'm in Florida, so we don't the big stuff here.  I'm not looking to do anything crazy, just knee to waist stuff when it actually shows up for us.  Any suggestions or experiences to share would be much appreciated.

Aloha Weeble...
Here's my take on your scenario...first off...you are a bigger guy...but, at 210#, not that big...I could build you a sub-7' board if you REALLY wanted one...;-)

I've designed and built shorter high performance wave riding boards for guys way bigger than you...some over 300#...
In fact, my 8'10" x 32" 150 liter quad + 1 Wide Point design that Starboard put in production back in 2010, helped to get scores of bigger paddlesurfers all over the planet on a sub-9' SUP...

http://surfingsports.com/2011_starboard_sup_catalog/sup_catalogue_011_lowres_Page_21.jpg

That said, for your weaker wave venue in South Florida, my Hammer design would work brilliantly...I have two widths and volumes at the 9'5" length that you seem to like...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series

We have a hot deal on our production Australian Pine wood veneer Hammers…9’5″ x 31″ 160 L…9’5″ x 33″ 178 L…10′ x 31″ 170 L…

Maui Blue…Seafoam Green…$1299 with custom bamboo fins…quad + 1 fin box options…GoreTex breather…ergonomic handle…and, big wave rated leash with safety quick disconnect…absolutely gorgeous boards...

This is one of the best SUP deals going on one of the best all around boards on the market…quality…value…performance…

We have built a number of custom Hammers for Florida folks as well...so, I wouldn't rule out my 8'11" x 31"...Zoner BulkyBiker is your size...maybe bigger...thought that he was gonna go wider than stock, and ended up with stock size and his own graphics...

Shown below is a custom 8'11" x 33" @ 169 liter Hammer we built for Rick in Florida...we've also built him a 9'7" x 32" Stoke custom...but, we also have production 9'6" x 32" @ 165 L and 9'6" x 33.5" 175 L  Stokes...quad + 1...a carbon 9'6" x 33.5" is shown below as well...we also have several of these coming out of one of our local California glass factories any day now for stock...very popular board...we can also build you one with your own graphics in a relatively short time (~ 4 weeks) as I have a number of CNC machined blanks in stock...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/stoke-series/

Anyways...as already pointed out...these days, there are more options out there for bigger guys...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 05:55:42 PM »
As always, the folks on the Zone are very informative and helpful and I appreciate every comment.  I am still going thru them all.  Lot's of great advice and explanations of experience.  I will comment more once I get a chance to digest it all.  But mostly, thanks to all of you that took the time to read and comment!
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:52:35 AM »
Now depending on how "small" you want to go, the "Mini Simmons" style of board might also be a consideration....as we see a lot of them at SanO, and that's about as mushy of a wave around (at least in this area).

As my signature says, I'm 6'1"/220 and my board of choice for everything from knee high to a couple foot OH is my Corran Addison 7'8"x30"x4-3/8"x119ltrs...but there are plenty of Infinity Phoenixs, Kings Simmons SUP, and a few other brands in that style down there that work well also. 

Now it can be a bit of a handful when it gets a little white cappy out there, but certainly doable with admittedly a little more paddle work to you on top.

So while I've never been over to your side of the country to SUS, I do believe like others are saying here...that I wouldn't go over 140 liters at your size, and experience level. 

My personal opinion is that too much volume is actually more tippy to stand on and paddle around, as too much board is above of the water, and you bob around out there like a cork floating on top the water, instead of having more of the board under that water and the chop, to help you float "through it".....if that makes any sense.

Another friend of mine who's over 230 just loves his Starboard Hero in brushed carbon at 9'0"x33"x4-3/8"x149ltrs, and he surfs it really well on most all of the condition down there...so that might be another option (although others here have given you some very good ones also) if you still feel you must go just a bit wider, and with a touch more volume.

Good luck on your search...sometimes thats as much fun as the actual purchase. :P :D

PS.  My Chelu 8'5"x29" is 106 liters, and does still "float" me...sort of, as long as I keep paddling...and is great fun in the wave when conditions are just right (ie. chest high+ and glassy), but those days seem to be few and far between most of the time, and why the Mini Simmons is my "go to" board 90% of the time.  Not saying you should go that low, just that at 210, I think you can trim your volume down much more, and go "smaller than you might think.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:59:50 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
Check out the Angulo 8'8" and 9'4". AST or carbon. Not as thick as some, and turn well from the tail..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

betteryeti

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
This is a topic that is near and dear to me. I'm 6'7" and 265# with a BMI of 28 (so, not getting down to 240# any time soon) and I've been SUP'ing since 2006 (Little Dume, AKA LairdLand). I'm also 59 years old, but I can still run a 7:50 mile and scull 2K in under 8 minutes.

When I started, the common wisdom dictated a whole lot of board, and I had a custom Infinity made -- probably one of the first 200 standos out of that shop. I had ridden the original prototype SurfTech Laird (really. i did.) and was trying to scale it up a little for my size. Yeah. It was comical: 13'10", 36" wide, 5.5" thick, Imma guess 350liter, basically a blown-up single-fin. No handle, and Boehne had to mail me my vent to install myself because we were all making it up on the fly and people were just getting a clue about SUPs blowing up in the sun -- hey, I was a "pioneer" consumer. It was a total dock. It was also a ton of fun. Jesus, did that heavy thing carry some momentum through the section. I sold it to a morbidly obese lawyer who was trying to drop 100 pounds -- i hope it worked.

Then, a couple of custom Infinity quads in the 11'x34" range. But that doesn't help your question a bit.

Twelve years later, I have a Laird Bully 12'6" (245 liter (!!) which still feels like a dock, but it's my go-to "small wave theft device") and I'm pretty sure it's discontinued. I also ride an Infinity Wide Aquatic, which at my size is amazingly surfable for a production all-rounder. The Starboard Atlas comes on my radar a lot, and the WarDog boards in SB catch my eye a lot, too. I'm in Malibu, so it's a split whether to go to the OC orbit or the Santa Barbara orbit.

My, how I do go on.

TL;DR: I say Infinity Wide Aquatic 10'8" for small, easy days, and check out WarDog in SB for a stick for higher-stakes days.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:39:25 PM by betteryeti »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
Aloha betteryeti,
We have built scores of boards for bigger guys who know how to surf since you resurrected this almost 4 year old thread...

A big Hammer would be a no-brainer...

https://blog.surfingsports.com/2018/09/big-hammer-sups.html

Hammer SUP surfing gallery...

https://supsports.com/stoked/hammer-sup-surfing/

https://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

For example, I could knock 2' off your current length...getting it down to 10'6" length and still keeping your current 245 liters...of course, all of the dims are tweakable...

I have a client named Big Will who is 6'5" 265#...and, he rips on my 9'5" x 33" Hammer at 188 liters...also, my 10'3" x 33" Mahalo at 185 liters...

If you want to go with a round pin, we built a killer 10'6" x 33.5" Mahalo at 220 liters for Matt that weighed in at 23#...

https://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/mahalo-series/

Closer L@@K at Mahalo design elements...

https://supsports.com/stoked/mahalo-sup-design/

I've also designed a new Shaka NR (Nose Rider) Squash model...for example, we could build a 10'8" x 34.5" x 5.2" at 236.46 liters...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:01:01 PM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »
This is a topic that is near and dear to me. I'm 6'7" and 265# with a BMI of 28 (so, not getting down to 240# any time soon) and I've been SUP'ing since 2006 (Little Dume, AKA LairdLand). I'm also 59 years old, but I can still run a 7:50 mile and scull 2K in under 8 minutes.

When I started, the common wisdom dictated a whole lot of board, and I had a custom Infinity made -- probably one of the first 200 standos out of that shop. I had ridden the original prototype SurfTech Laird (really. i did.) and was trying to scale it up a little for my size. Yeah. It was comical: 13'10", 36" wide, 5.5" thick, Imma guess 350liter, basically a blown-up single-fin. No handle, and Boehne had to mail me my vent to install myself because we were all making it up on the fly and people were just getting a clue about SUPs blowing up in the sun -- hey, I was a "pioneer" consumer. It was a total dock. It was also a ton of fun. Jesus, did that heavy thing carry some momentum through the section. I sold it to a morbidly obese lawyer who was trying to drop 100 pounds -- i hope it worked.

Then, a couple of custom Infinity quads in the 11'x34" range. But that doesn't help your question a bit.

Twelve years later, I have a Laird Bully 12'6" (245 liter (!!) which still feels like a dock, but it's my go-to "small wave theft device") and I'm pretty sure it's discontinued. I also ride an Infinity Wide Aquatic, which at my size is amazingly surfable for a production all-rounder. The Starboard Atlas comes on my radar a lot, and the WarDog boards in SB catch my eye a lot, too. I'm in Malibu, so it's a split whether to go to the OC orbit or the Santa Barbara orbit.

My, how I do go on.

TL;DR: I say Infinity Wide Aquatic 10'8" for small, easy days, and check out WarDog in SB for a stick for higher-stakes days.
You and I are very close in size. I'm 6'7 250# 55yrs old. I have been through a number of surf sups over the years. Even built my own just because most of the shapers are little guys that don't get it. That goes for my prone surfboards, race boards, bikes, ski's, golf clubs, cars, etc. etc. My current board is a 10' x 29.5" 162 liters Coreban Icon that I run as a quad. Anyone that knows me, know I paddle skinny boards for my size. I've gone down to 130 liters and it was a serious struggle, but I stuck it out for a few weeks. Now I'm looking for a little more stability in the chop. So a little more width and a little less length. I'm not a fan of wide tail boards, but I don't have that much experience with them either. I'd love to try some of Warren's higher volume boards. I've never seen a performance Infinity or Hobie or Kings surf sup anywhere near what I need for my size. Most of the manufacturers shift to an all arounder shape when they get near 150 liters. We are definitely in the custom range with only a few options production wise. I'd like to go 9'6 - 9'0 x 33" 150-160 liter range. Naish has a 10'33 Wide, 4.75 Thick - 190L Mana that I've considered, the tail is a little too thick and the rails a little too fat for my liking. I see a lot beginners surfing them. I might be able to push it a little harder? 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:48:14 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal