Author Topic: Delusions of Competence  (Read 3197 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Delusions of Competence
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:34:05 PM »
I nearly ran over a friend of mine on my foil today. It "wasn't my fault" though I don't really see how that matters. It wouldn't have mattered at all if I'd hurt him. I would have been devastated. I was in the harbor off to the left side of the crowd, using my Iwa foil and struggling a little since the surf was a lot pokier than it looked when I headed out. A good sized wave came, a SUP guy got it but he was headed right, so I turned at the last moment and grabbed it going left. I got up immediately, but couldn't get my foot in the front strap. At my low skill level that means I can foil, but can't turn hard. The board tucked into the wave on autopilot and I started across the face moving fast. All good, mostly in control, no one near me.

But as I zoomed along I saw Trip (pretty sure that's his name) paddling for the wave--right into my path. I'm sure he didn't see me coming, he was a long way from the main break. I started to turn right to do a bottom turn away from him, realized I wasn't going to be able to turn hard enough with my foot out of the strap, so I turned into the face and crashed, bumping Trip off his board with my body.

He was OK, and so was I. Some other SUP paddler started yelling at me about watching where I was going, as if I wasn't, but there was no point in arguing, The truth is that I didn't have enough control for the situation, so yeah, my fault, even if it wasn't in theory.

I'm glad it worked out OK, but that was mostly good luck, not good management. I decided I was done. Too many people, too much chance for a repeat of that.

I need to push the reset button on staying away from people. I'm having some kind of delusion of competence because I can get up, control the foil, and turn. That's not enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Delusions of Competence
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
Don’t beat yourself up. They dont hear us coming in silence, so can’t blame them either.

You see Big Mike today?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »
Nope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
not easy to write a post like this! Thanks!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:41 AM »
early on when I was just getting the hang of riding, I made a rule for myself - I wouldn't take off for a wave unless there was a 45-60deg wide and 100m long triangle zone which was completely empty of anyone.  That's treated me well.  Even in a "crowded" lineup, I find there is often a window and when there is I spin and go.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 04:57:55 AM »
when my local is crowded, id get few waves if, once i am in position so that a wave is mine, my entire trajectory would have to be clear for me to take the wave

half the time i have to slalom through a few guys while actually on the wave...

come to think of it, id never get a wave

if i know ima ditch, whether on a paddle out, or on a wave, i always check the likely trajectory of my board, and kick it so it wont come near people

PB good on you to point out (and to make a case study of yourself!) that the ability to paddle around and catch waves isnt necessarily sufficient skill to justify surfing (foil or any craft) around people--gotta be able to control the board and turn quickly and consistently if one will be near people

i remember a lecture from creek at the holy deep place, when he saw me taking peelers all the way in--"feels good, yeah, til you blow a fin box or even a knee"---yeah, ricky, youre just old and fragile, and im having more fun than you---next wave destroyed a nice fin and put a nasty gash in my shin---fun as the last bit of peeler may be, i take care not to ride anywhere near a problem
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 06:43:30 AM »
Footstraps. We have all experienced the love/hate relationship.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 08:30:37 AM »
I nearly ran over a friend of mine on my foil today. It "wasn't my fault" though I don't really see how that matters. It wouldn't have mattered at all if I'd hurt him. I would have been devastated. I was in the harbor off to the left side of the crowd, using my Iwa foil and struggling a little since the surf was a lot pokier than it looked when I headed out. A good sized wave came, a SUP guy got it but he was headed right, so I turned at the last moment and grabbed it going left. I got up immediately, but couldn't get my foot in the front strap. At my low skill level that means I can foil, but can't turn hard. The board tucked into the wave on autopilot and I started across the face moving fast. All good, mostly in control, no one near me.

But as I zoomed along I saw Trip (pretty sure that's his name) paddling for the wave--right into my path. I'm sure he didn't see me coming, he was a long way from the main break. I started to turn right to do a bottom turn away from him, realized I wasn't going to be able to turn hard enough with my foot out of the strap, so I turned into the face and crashed, bumping Trip off his board with my body.

He was OK, and so was I. Some other SUP paddler started yelling at me about watching where I was going, as if I wasn't, but there was no point in arguing, The truth is that I didn't have enough control for the situation, so yeah, my fault, even if it wasn't in theory.

I'm glad it worked out OK, but that was mostly good luck, not good management. I decided I was done. Too many people, too much chance for a repeat of that.

I need to push the reset button on staying away from people. I'm having some kind of delusion of competence because I can get up, control the foil, and turn. That's not enough.

Yes, self regulation, please remember on the more crowded days around surfers.  Stay inside or move down to emptier zones.  I do it all the time.  I've had more than 1 conversation with surfers/SUP's about incompetent foilers making them nervous.  Remember your decisions effect us all.  Surfers generally don't like being around us.  And if they see you/me outa control running into someone it only re-enforces their fear/argument.

Slappysan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »

Why not just bail off the back of the board as soon as you see something that might go bad. I find with foiling often the best thing to do is to try not to hold on through rough situations and instead just bail out.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal