Author Topic: 3-D printed foils.  (Read 14643 times)

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
3-D printed foils.
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
 it’s always interesting to see what computer guys who surf come up with.

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2017/08/3d-printed-hydrofoil-project-intro/

Has anyone else tried printing a foil ?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 3-D printed foils.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
SUPUK printed a form for his wing and glassed over it. Came out great. Check out the DIY foil thread. It’s all in there. I’d love to do it but I just haven’t had the time to focus on designing it. I can’t even get the time to take Kiwi up on his offer of cad help. That’s bad. lol

I have a buddy with a printer ready to go when I have a file. I need to start an open swap for surf CAD files somewhere on the web. The fin and template guys started that but I think it’s fallen by the wayside. It’s not hard to build these things really, especially if you can print or CNC the parts. Once some of us home guys get things dialed I think DIY will be a real thing.

Hey Pono. Could you glowforge cut us some ribs so we can all do the SUPpeter method?

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:58 AM »
  I need to start an open swap for surf CAD files somewhere on the web. 

Why not just use Thingiverse?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
3D printing is a natural for foils if you have a big enough bed, or use a modular design. Wing sections could be made largely hollow with internal reinforcement.

And yes, cutting ribs with the glowforge would be simple, but it's in the wrong state until spring.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
Yeah Pono my lead developer has one that will print up to like 16” x 9” or so. 3 parts and you’ve got a wing.

Opie, we could totally start with thingverse but I have to say that curation is something I really appreciate. It’s hard to search and remember to search. Maybe we should start a thread in the shape shack collecting some good ones. I’ll do that. There’s our curated collection, right?

Actually, Admin, there’s your next project. Let’s add a file sharing area for all these bits and bobs we are all designing. Templates, fins, cad files, all the stuff that swaylocks should have really grown to hold and share.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:15:01 PM »
I think the fundamental design of foils and foil masts is wrong. The structural and aero elements don't need to be combined and if they are, the complexity increases and strength is compromised. A boxed structure is the strongest/simplest/lightest way to build the structural component of both mast and wings. The flow elements can add to that. Skeleton and musculature.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
Yeah Pono my lead developer has one that will print up to like 16” x 9” or so. 3 parts and you’ve got a wing.

Opie, we could totally start with thingverse but I have to say that curation is something I really appreciate. It’s hard to search and remember to search. Maybe we should start a thread in the shape shack collecting some good ones. I’ll do that. There’s our curated collection, right?

Actually, Admin, there’s your next project. Let’s add a file sharing area for all these bits and bobs we are all designing. Templates, fins, cad files, all the stuff that swaylocks should have really grown to hold and share.

How big are the files?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
How big are the files?

A small fin STL file would be 300KB
A finbox STL file 600KB
A large dihedral foil 4.5 MB STL file per side
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
Pono, let’s pull that thread. Are you saying that, for example, a mast should have a strong square tube center (or multiple tubes) and then a soft aerodynamic fairing maybe 3d printed or light fiberglass shell?

If so, what’s your proposed size for that to get the strength? I could see 3-4 1/2” square tubes being a mast but I can’t see that being stronger than the current aluminum masts unless it was way thicker than they are now. Now, could a mast be an inch thick? I’d like to know because then we’re getting to where we could have some real structural integrity. A 1” square, heavy walled aluminum square tube welded to a base plate would be damn hard to bend.

Now... where the number of my buddy with the machine shop? I’ve really been ignoring those race car builder friends for too long apparently. ;)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 01:27:57 AM »
How big are the files?

A finbox STL file 600KB

Please list the file extensions that are used.  Is it limited to .stl or are there others?

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 02:41:56 AM »
Pono, let’s pull that thread. Are you saying that, for example, a mast should have a strong square tube center (or multiple tubes) and then a soft aerodynamic fairing maybe 3d printed or light fiberglass shell

If so, what’s your proposed size for that to get the strength? I could see 3-4 1/2” square tubes being a mast but I can’t see that being stronger than the current aluminum masts unless it was way thicker than they are now. Now, could a mast be an inch thick? I’d like to know because then we’re getting to where we could have some real structural integrity. A 1” square, heavy walled aluminum square tube welded to a base plate would be damn hard to bend.

Now... where the number of my buddy with the machine shop? I’ve really been ignoring those race car builder friends for too long apparently. ;)

A 1 inch thick mast isn’t going to create a greater -ve difference in performance if it’s short enough. And in fact a thicker section has a lot of low speed and AOA advantages. And the height above the water is really for ‘media show’ and not performance. In fact  being closer to the water allows the rails to be used in high speed turns that aren’t yet part of foiling but soon will be.
Gee I hope in a year or two when everyone is low level foiling and dipping the surface for drag they remember these posts of mine,
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:48:53 AM by SURFFOILS »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 05:39:44 AM »
How big are the files?

A finbox STL file 600KB

Please list the file extensions that are used.  Is it limited to .stl or are there others?

Hi Admin-

I appreciate you looking into this.

For STL files the .stl extention is prevalent and most every front end for 3D printing takes them. There are other mesh files but i do not use them.

If you wanted to allow people to exchange actual surfboard/SUP files (small file sizes 2-10 KB) then you would need .brd , .s3d*  and .pdb to cover programs like AKU, BoardCAD, Shape3D (there are 3 or 4 file types all starting .s3d... ), and Precision Shaper.

Sharing CAD files rather than STL usually results in smaller file sizes, especially for larger parts like a wing or mast or fuselage...but also a larger list of file extensions.  In my workaday world the most common are STEP (.stp or .step) for 3D and DWG and DXF (.dwg and .dxf) for 2D.  Most CAD programs have the ability to generate something like STEP or DXF that is more 'neutral' than its native format.

The list would get very long including every possible mesh or CAD format.  But I think the ones above would easily cover the majority.

If someone sees a hole in these lists please post up.

The nice thing about sharing board and CAD files is that the end user can make modifications easily. Edits to STL files are possible but more time consuming and less repeatable aka 'artsy' in my opinion.
Be safe, have fun. -J

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
OK, I enabled all of those except .s3d*.  I cannot use the wildcard so if you have specific extensions we can enter those.  Here is a thread to get started:  https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=34308.msg390117#msg390117

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
Awesome, thanks Admin.

Specific extensions recognized by Shape3D:

.s3d and .s3dx (Shape3D, the 'x' one is the current format)
.brd (Aku, BoardCAD)
.srf (SurfCAD)
.phb (Precision)
.kms (KMS3200)
Be safe, have fun. -J

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email