Author Topic: 3-D printed foils.  (Read 14640 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3-D printed foils.
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »
Almost forgot the important part.  Thank you PonoBill for telling me to first download pics to Facebook.  That did it!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
Oops! wrong button
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:14:22 AM by SUPeter »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
That's quite a jig. There is a way without any cardiac surgery equipment: Make a drilling jig that can be precisely installed each time to drill the first hole. That includes the hole for the fuselage. That's a common cabinetry and metalwork problem. It seems like every project I do there comes a point where progress has to stop while I make a jig to drill repeated holes where the hole needs to align to a blind hole.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
what surfoils said! no dog in this show as i haven't gone near a foil, but your hack engineering is impressive.

im guessing youre a retired cardio surgeon or technician--where either you came wired for patience and meticulousness, or you got that way through training and practice--can i call you when i need my bypass? (fortunately just joking--plaque-up aint likely to be my problem)

closest ive seen of that kind of engineering is the jacob's ladder string games i played as a child!!!

very cool work you are doing--fun to learn of, even as a non-foiler (so far)

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
what surfoils said! no dog in this show as i haven't gone near a foil, but your hack engineering is impressive.

im guessing youre a retired cardio surgeon or technician--where either you came wired for patience and meticulousness, or you got that way through training and practice--can i call you when i need my bypass? (fortunately just joking--plaque-up aint likely to be my problem)

closest ive seen of that kind of engineering is the jacob's ladder string games i played as a child!!!

very cool work you are doing--fun to learn of, even as a non-foiler (so far)

thanks for taking time sharing the ride..........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
That's quite a jig. There is a way without any cardiac surgery equipment: Make a drilling jig that can be precisely installed each time to drill the first hole. That includes the hole for the fuselage. That's a common cabinetry and metalwork problem. It seems like every project I do there comes a point where progress has to stop while I make a jig to drill repeated holes where the hole needs to align to a blind hole.

Yes I'm sure there are a dozen ways to solve this problem.  Liking my Jig due to the ability of being quickly adjustable to any dimension.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

I was wondering about making the center with two ribs spaced just wide enough for the fuse insert. Then you could just cut or bend the carbon tow struts enough to insert it in between? Not sure if that’s easier or not but it seems like it might be.

Yes, Spacing 2 ribs or templates closer together would work fine and I do believe the lack of high strength filler would not be a problem and make the wing that much lighter.  I just feel better having a little more high strength filler around such a critical spot with regards to stress.   Easy enough  to test but getting the answer requires failure after a lot of hard work.   My wing weights do not seem bad and all my wings float very well.  Do not have a scale but will try to get wing weights measured.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
Someone earlier asked to see the finished version.  I have not yet put the added carbon over the nose cone but it looks the same. 

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
Another one showing Version 1 to the right.  Far more difficult to make versus my newer method.  It was carved plywood, very heavy and inexact, but it flew!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2018, 09:02:26 PM »
Ok answers were so very clear. Thank you.

For the blind hole jig alone you are a genius. But I have to agree with surffoils (yet again) that these things are works of art. I’m in awe, truly.

The finished product is really nice. I’d guess you are right about the shapes too. The sanding makes sense but really there’s not a difference between that finish and a commercial foil.

I now also understand the strength. You not only have a 6 ply (Or thereabouts) outer skin but a much stronger inner structure than any foam based wing. It’s got to be incredibly stiff.

My hat is off to you. I just showed my wife who’s a visual artist and she was impressed with the beauty of the inner structure alone. I also now wish I had about 20 more hours a week to build something like this. Pono, I feel like my retirement project list is going to be similar to yours thanks to this forum.

Also, your fuselage and connection is really the way to go. If I do another one of these I’m going back to my original tube mount but using your method of a ton of carbon and custom forming the outer tube over a waxed fuselage. This is the way to go for a diy foil if anyone is considering it. Just don’t skimp on the carbon and mind your direction on layers and I actually believe that a home built mast can be stiffer than any of the cheap aluminum masts.

Again, thank you. I’m going to build a rig to do my blind holes now with some clamps

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2018, 04:21:45 AM »
This ones for your wife.  Merry Christmas

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
That's great stuff there Peter, thanks for sharing the photos, and all the details of your work. While none of it is anything I have the tools or really the skills to attempt, I always enjoy seeing the great imagination, ingenuity, and talents of others who can take an idea, and bring it to fruition as you have here. Well done sir, well done.   :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2018, 07:35:05 PM »
Thanks man, great shot.

I have to go back and find your first stuff where you can see the pattern of the weave. Too cool.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal