Author Topic: Build a Vacuum System to Dry Boards  (Read 3216 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Build a Vacuum System to Dry Boards
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 03:52:12 AM »
'Loving the report Beasho.
I would avoid 'cooking' anything EPS above 140F. I read a upper limit of 160 F before the foam (not solid PS) compromises but I cannot find it to quote.  There are also tales of woe on the interweb of boards left in hot cars, etc. that would support the notion damaging heat is not really that 'hot'...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
So Beasho, how do you know the .2 lbs you lost didn't just come from the deckpad drying out?  You need to analyze data and not just take it.  Big difference.

Let me guess you are not an engineer and feel threatened by data. 

The board had not been used for more than 2 months - dry as a bone.

Any more data insights that would be helpful we'll be happy to sit by your knee and listen.

So just to straighten things out Beasho, I am a Nuclear Test Engineer,  qualified to supervise the operation of Nuclear Reactors for the US Navy,  and have a BSCE in Ocean Engineering and Masters degree work in Acoustics and Vibration...so yeah, I'm kind of an engineer.  The issue I have with you is with taking a small amount of mostly irrelevant data, and using it in a very unscientific manner to make broad claims.  People believe the shit you peddle, and Im trying to show them that data needs to be analyzed properly. I'm done trying to help you not look stupid.  Continue to tell people that its OK to repeatedly "cook" your board, I just feel bad for the folks that follow what you do and will then need to replace their boards after they delam , you idiot.

So you may be an engineer, but your not a very bright one.  Just a big blowhard that likes too blow his own horn and try to act like he know's everything.

Rant over, that's the last you'll hear from me on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:50:33 AM by J-Bird »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
Hey, stick around J-Bird, we're all Ohana here...althoug a little disfunctional at times for sure.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:30:09 AM by Bean »

RideTheGlide

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »

Some people just can't let it go...

2016 Naish Glide 14x30 GTW
2017 GoPlus 9'9" x 6" iSUP (generic low end all around)

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
Thanks Bean, I appreciate the thought and understand.  I'm not done with the Zone, its great place with great people, just done with Beasho.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
Rant over, that's the last you'll hear from me on this forum.

Well that didn't last long!

Telling how a guy trained to supervise people enters a public forum discussing Vacuums and Drying surfboards and then accuses someone of bad data, presents nothing to counter, then starts using foul language words like idiot and stupid.  Maybe you should head to The Inertia plenty of angry people there.  https://www.theinertia.com/category/surf/

I apologize if heat of vaporization of water, phase diagrams and vacuum pressure are too much too handle.  I have never in my life met a data person or scientist who ever used this language in public.  Must come from a different school than I was taught at.  I hope it wasn’t the Navy.

Can we get back to drying boards?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:26:57 PM by Beasho »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
Hey Beasho, don't be a dick man...

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 06:35:58 AM »
Clearly it's winter around here!

So on a far more comedic level of board drying....Did anyone ever see the DingKing board spinner on Maui?

The concept was to centrifuge water to a tip...(presumably the crash site tip)

It looked like a giant lawn sprinkler on steroids.....spun a board at maybe 400 RPM, and threatened to kill anyone within it's wobbly radius.

Personally, water ingress, and a few dings brings me closer to Spousal-Permission to get a new board.....She is far less happy about all of the fibers/dust/sanders/microballons/ noise discarded cloves masks and mess.....
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SanoSlatchSup

• Peahi Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »
Hey guys, so I was just gonna say thaaa...what the...

...whoa! Never mind... ;) :D
Me: 6'1"/200...5'11" Chelu Foil Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...9'6" Costa Azul Wide Body...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm for when proning urges still hit, and 7'3" Chuck Glynn foil board backup.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
Nice, strong cut-back  ;D