Author Topic: Build a Vacuum System to Dry Boards  (Read 46494 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Build a Vacuum System to Dry Boards
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 03:52:12 AM »
'Loving the report Beasho.
I would avoid 'cooking' anything EPS above 140F. I read a upper limit of 160 F before the foam (not solid PS) compromises but I cannot find it to quote.  There are also tales of woe on the interweb of boards left in hot cars, etc. that would support the notion damaging heat is not really that 'hot'...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
So Beasho, how do you know the .2 lbs you lost didn't just come from the deckpad drying out?  You need to analyze data and not just take it.  Big difference.

Let me guess you are not an engineer and feel threatened by data. 

The board had not been used for more than 2 months - dry as a bone.

Any more data insights that would be helpful we'll be happy to sit by your knee and listen.

So just to straighten things out Beasho, I am a Nuclear Test Engineer,  qualified to supervise the operation of Nuclear Reactors for the US Navy,  and have a BSCE in Ocean Engineering and Masters degree work in Acoustics and Vibration...so yeah, I'm kind of an engineer.  The issue I have with you is with taking a small amount of mostly irrelevant data, and using it in a very unscientific manner to make broad claims.  People believe the shit you peddle, and Im trying to show them that data needs to be analyzed properly. I'm done trying to help you not look stupid.  Continue to tell people that its OK to repeatedly "cook" your board, I just feel bad for the folks that follow what you do and will then need to replace their boards after they delam , you idiot.

So you may be an engineer, but your not a very bright one.  Just a big blowhard that likes too blow his own horn and try to act like he know's everything.

Rant over, that's the last you'll hear from me on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:50:33 AM by J-Bird »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
Hey, stick around J-Bird, we're all Ohana here...althoug a little disfunctional at times for sure.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:30:09 AM by Bean »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »

Some people just can't let it go...

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
Thanks Bean, I appreciate the thought and understand.  I'm not done with the Zone, its great place with great people, just done with Beasho.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
Rant over, that's the last you'll hear from me on this forum.

Well that didn't last long!

Telling how a guy trained to supervise people enters a public forum discussing Vacuums and Drying surfboards and then accuses someone of bad data, presents nothing to counter, then starts using foul language words like idiot and stupid.  Maybe you should head to The Inertia plenty of angry people there.  https://www.theinertia.com/category/surf/

I apologize if heat of vaporization of water, phase diagrams and vacuum pressure are too much too handle.  I have never in my life met a data person or scientist who ever used this language in public.  Must come from a different school than I was taught at.  I hope it wasn’t the Navy.

Can we get back to drying boards?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:26:57 PM by Beasho »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
Hey Beasho, don't be a dick man...

https://youtu.be/n7zfnbdyAW8

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 06:35:58 AM »
Clearly it's winter around here!

So on a far more comedic level of board drying....Did anyone ever see the DingKing board spinner on Maui?

The concept was to centrifuge water to a tip...(presumably the crash site tip)

It looked like a giant lawn sprinkler on steroids.....spun a board at maybe 400 RPM, and threatened to kill anyone within it's wobbly radius.

Personally, water ingress, and a few dings brings me closer to Spousal-Permission to get a new board.....She is far less happy about all of the fibers/dust/sanders/microballons/ noise discarded cloves masks and mess.....
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »
Hey guys, so I was just gonna say thaaa...what the...

...whoa! Never mind... ;) :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
Nice, strong cut-back  ;D

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
It started at 23.4 lbs without fins.  I got it down to 23.2 lbs overnight with vacuum pump and heater.

What I have realized is that HEAT is as important as Air flow and Vacuum.

Heat can be CHEAP in the form of sunlight but given our short Northern California days, and plenty of cloudy skies, I am now improvising with artificial stimulants. 

My latest theory is to gently cook the boards at 120 to 150 degrees.  I haven't figured out the best temperature but I DON'T want to compromise the boards lamination or underlying EPS structure.  I read that EPS will breakdown at 212 degrees.  Oddly similar to water.

Any ideas on how to safely and economically cook the boards while under vacuum?

Yes, heat helps a lot! I like the elaborate setup you guys used with the pump and all and might have gone that route had I read this thread before drying out my board last October. I didn't have a pump so I used a big shop vac instead. I blew out a fin box on a reef, so after removing the box, I duct taped a square of clear plastic sheet to the damaged area and duct taped the vacs corner tool through a hole in the plastic sheet and let the shop vac run for a couple hours. (I kept checking to see if the vacs motor was getting hot and was surprised that it didn't.) I had the board set at an angle in the sun while doing this and was amazed at how much water it sucked out. It's ghetto, but it worked.

After that I stripped away the glass around the damaged area and drilled holes in the nose and tail with a 1/4" bit. The next step was to dry out that area so I positioned the board at a 45 degree angle in a tiny 8' x 6' office with the tail down. I put one of those electric radiator type heaters under the board and tented the board with a blanket. I shut the door to the office and let the heater run overnight. The area around the box was dry the next day so I propped the board up vertically and left it in the room for a couple more days with the heater on until water stopped coming out of the hole in the tail. (Room temps were close to 100 degrees.)

i like the dowel trick--think it's as good as a regular old gorilla glue fill, with a couple layers of glass/epoxy?

clearly the dowel trick is quick and easy--seems it should hold up--but if it doesnt, just drain and dry again!

I use "tootsie roll" style dry epoxy for that. Slice off a piece and mix it with your fingers and then shove into the hole. If you have to drill out the holes later it's a lot easier than drilling through a wood dowel.

You know you could pull the transmission and motor out of an old washing machine and make a spinner.

Did anyone ever see the DingKing board spinner on Maui?

The concept was to centrifuge water to a tip...(presumably the crash site tip)

It looked like a giant lawn sprinkler on steroids.....spun a board at maybe 400 RPM, and threatened to kill anyone within it's wobbly radius.

I used to take my windsurfers to a guy that lived waaaay out at the end of a nasty old dirt road (especially after it rained!) in Haiku in the 90's and for $10 he would spin my board for a few minutes. You needed to drill a 1/4" wide hole in the nose and tail before going there. It didn't get out all of the water but was a great first step in drying out an EPS/epoxy board.

"...threatened to kill anyone within its wobbly radius" - hah, so true! I used to bail out and hide behind a car until it stopped spinning. If I recall correctly, it was an electric motor that (I think) was mounted to the wheel of a car with the tire filled with concrete like you might do for a tetherball setup. He had welded a simple  "T" shaped bracket to the top of the motor that you would strap the board to.

P.S. There's a board repair business in Encinitas (Brian) named Ding King.

For temporary ding repair, I bet the aluminum tape would work great.  I like to use vinyl stickers.

I always keep a roll of clear packing tape and a razor blade in my car for sealing dings until I get around to actually fixing them. You can stretch it to conform to the surface and if you keep your fingers away from the edges of the tape while applying it'll stay water tight indefinitely. It doesn't look as "Haitian" as alum tape and you can see through it to make sure there's no water ingress. You want the good clear packing tape and not the brown stuff though.

I think the best approach for drying out a board is to incorporate all three in this order: spinning - sucking - drying w/ heat.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2019, 04:23:54 AM »
me too on the tootsie roll epoxy--it can be formed and jammed into all different sized holes--sands easily, before glassing over, and doesnt heat up at all while quik-drying--if hole is deep ill mix epoxy and balloons, but smaller issues the tootsie crap is great
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2019, 06:37:56 AM »
I had a vent plug membrane failure resulting in 8lb weight gain. Drilled a couple 1/4" holes in the swallow tail, inserted aquarium air tubing, sealed with silicone sealant, made a water trap out of an old pasta sauce bottle, reversed the $23.00 pump (this pulls a 5 torr vacuum), removed the vent plug....wow, evacuating the water very quickly :) I don't know what the LPM is, but you can hear air sounds at the vent plug. The RH is going to be 30-40% this week....should get the job done.

Thanks for this thread guys! It saved me a lot of time.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
I had a vent plug membrane failure resulting in 8lb weight gain. Drilled a couple 1/4" holes in the swallow tail, inserted aquarium air tubing, sealed with silicone sealant, made a water trap out of an old pasta sauce bottle, reversed the $23.00 pump (this pulls a 5 torr vacuum), removed the vent plug....wow, evacuating the water very quickly :) I don't know what the LPM is, but you can hear air sounds at the vent plug. The RH is going to be 30-40% this week....should get the job done.

I like how you did this cuz it's cheap and effective and way less ghetto than how I did it. Please let us know how much weight you lost when you're done sucking and drying.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »

Argh: I had a vent plug failure on A Jimmy Lewis a couple years back > Fortunately JL and Robert at BP made it right.

these things make me nervous!

Anyone have any advice about managing these things? Marlon told me it is really rare but I wonder...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal