Author Topic: Build a Vacuum System to Dry Boards  (Read 46514 times)

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Build a Vacuum System to Dry Boards
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2019, 05:40:49 AM »
Great stuff here, guys. Beasho, thanx alot.
I have the same trouble atm, broken leash, board collision with another SUP in the wash, owner tells me "no damages", couldn't find damges at my board too, two sessions later i realize a pushed down futurebox, so here i'am in the club.
But my board only gained 160 gramms after classic sun drying.

Now i want to try the pump. Cheap, if possible.
Fell over this, complete board drying system on amazon, please don't laugh.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ68WRK/ref=twister_B07RN8MLS8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Will try it over the weekend.
Alex

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:44:01 AM by AlexFun »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2019, 07:09:49 AM »
Now i want to try the pump. Cheap, if possible.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ68WRK/ref=twister_B07RN8MLS8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Will try it over the weekend.
Alex

It could work.  I started out using aquarium pumps e.g. very low pressure differential.  They work on fresh dings, especially if you put the board in the sun. Heat and slight vacuum can work wonders.  For longer, more saturated problems, you will need a pump that can pull ~ 20 in HG. 

Then again I was pulling 25 in HG and it semi collapsed my Easy Foiler.  I was surprised because I had been pulling a vacuum on the board for 2 months without any ill effects. Then I thought I was doing a quick fix on a new ding and bammo the deck started to implode.  Weird but not unthinkable. 

I had removed the vent plug thinking it would permit enough airflow (pulling 25 inHg).  Now I drill a fresh hole in the board to permit cleaner FLOW.  The FLOW is also necessary to evaporate and remove the moisture. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:09:12 AM by Beasho »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2019, 07:48:54 AM »
Yes, It's amazing how powerful the vac can be, I severely deformed a Fanatic Fly Race a few years ago when I was not paying attention.  It never bounced back.  Don't even think of reversing the process with compressed air, you will only get full delam. (Ask me how I know...) :D

To minimize over vac-ing, I use a simple valve to adjust the vaccum level and let the pump run continuously.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:50:53 AM by Bean »

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »

With some "too late" dread went to see what I had clicked on and will now appear in all the ads on my devices... was relieved to see it was a sheep milking machine and not something else.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »

With some "too late" dread went to see what I had clicked on and will now appear in all the ads on my devices... was relieved to see it was a sheep milking machine and not something else.
[/quote]

::)
Yeah, guess what results i got when I searched for  "vacuumpump". A lot of "something else" for the lonely guys.....

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
180 gramms out already, but it works only with heat/sun. Otherwise nothing comes out of the board.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
I got about a kg of water out of my board recently.  The nose had a couple of hairline cracks and all along the rails there were invisible cracks that I only know about because of the salt-crust that shows up when the water bubbles out and evaporates.  My method was hanging the board nose-down in the garage for about 3 weeks until no more water would drip out.  Then I put together a vacuum drying system that get the last 100g or so out.

I ended up buying a batch of 4 of these vacuum separators on ebay for super cheap.  I only need 1 so if someone else wants one to build up there system I'd be happy to sell for the cost of shipping plus a few bucks.  We'll have to wait until shipping comes back online of course.

Here's a photo of my vacuum drying setup - thanks for all the good tips in this thread!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal