Author Topic: Wide Tail Board Sliding Out with Quads  (Read 5500 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Wide Tail Board Sliding Out with Quads
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
The close ups look good but they don't show the outline or rocker. Can you post some pics of the entire board?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
I had this exact same response from my L41.  It was 8' 2" x 32" and the widest board I ever SUP surfed.

When turning the board on a rail the tail would also slide out. 

I realized that the WIDE tail is a huge planing surface and rides HIGH in the water.  When put on a rail a wide board will lift the outside fins out of the water very early and you effectively LOSE any resistance from those outboard fins.  The flat planing surface, unlike a pintail, just adds to the buoyant insult and everything slides away.

This became a challenge.  Hold JUST the right angle and the board would maintain speed and hold.  JUST don't go too far or it breaks free.  Eventually this was a fun and manageable game.

By no means should you expect such a wide,fat tail to lay-down into a fully carveable, shortboard style turn.     

Kinda contrary to my experience riding short wide-tailed boards with quads and quad plus nubster setups...
This one at 7'10" x 31" Jammer with 24" tail...have also ridden 7'5" and 7'8" models extensively...

https://blog.surfingsports.com/jammer-sup

I think that after board design...fin placement and fins either makes it or break it...muy importante...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:24:17 PM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
I used to experience that happening when I took a high line for speed and was standing a little to far forward. The tail of the board would break loose. I'd just move back a bit and they would grab. I've never felt it on a hard bottom turn, probably because I'm a heavy weight. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 07:51:41 PM »
Here are a few more pics of the board and the rocker.  The rocker is very minimal.  When putting a straight piece of trim on-top of the board the rear rocker is 1.5" and the front right near the nose is 3".  But as you can see from the pick it's flat through most of the board.

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »
After some trial and error my solution was to keep the controller side fins in.  Remove the 2 smaller trailers and put in a 6” center.  So I switched it to a 2 + 1 setup and that eliminated any sliding I was getting.  Now I can lay into my bottom turn as hard as I want.  One strange thing I noticed was the board was less stable in the water with a 2 + 1 setup.  It felt more tippy which I wouldn’t have expected.

I tried the nubster and that helped with the transition from rail to rail but not on my hard bottom turn.  I suspect larger quad fins or thruster fins would do the trick too but I didn’t have any available to try.  Appreciate all the suggestions
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:32:13 AM by StarboardSUPMan »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
Fins have very little effect on side to side stability...the board either has it or it doesn't...
Don't know if you tried your previous setup immediately back to back...if not, might could have just been the conditions...

On another note...exposed carbon gets very hot...I would plug that vent on the tail (could be used to drain H20 out if dinged) and install a couple of vents between the top of your pad and the nose logo...one on each side of the stringer...if, it has one...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Fins have very little effect on side to side stability...the board either has it or it doesn't...
Don't know if you tried your previous setup immediately back to back...if not, might could have just been the conditions...

On another note...exposed carbon gets very hot...I would plug that vent on the tail (could be used to drain H20 out if dinged) and install a couple of vents between the top of your pad and the nose logo...one on each side of the stringer...if, it has one...
+1 on this. I have two damaged CF boards that developed too much heat near the nose of the board from the vent plug being too far back. On a CF board, I'd at a minimum have a vent plug a foot from the nose and maybe 2' in from the tail thru your deck pad. Basically more vents than you would need with a lighter color board.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal