Stand Up Paddle > Fish Tales, Stand Up style

Cooler on the back of my Glide

(1/3) > >>

RideTheGlide:
I made a layout picture of my glide and took a picture of the fore deck.

I want to carry a cooler, probably with rod holders, on the back. The problem is I don't really have any tie points back there other than the leash clip. If you look at the picture, the yellow area on the mat is the obvious spot. But there is nothing but mat on the deck in front of it; no place for a suction cup - unless I stick them on the rails. The 2016 30" Glide has big rails. I could attach a "security, just in case" loose line from a strap around the cooler to the leash clip and put a big suction cup on the rails on either side and slightly forward of the cooler. Is that crazy? Better ideas?

Another idea I have is using some foam pad (like for garage floor) on the fore deck. 2 pieces stacked near the mat and just on thickness near the "dome". That would level it out and protect against scuffing. I may pt a cooler up there instead. or maybe a crate. The bungee clips are the same construction/part as the leash clip.

BTW, planning to use a straight leash so coils don't tangle in everything. Sensible? I will be paddling offshore sometimes. With a group, but I still will always wear a leash.

Dusk Patrol:
...one of the better looking boards for sure...

surfcowboy:
I’ve not done a ton of touring but when I load my board I put weight up front. The tail is usually thinned out so less float there. Also getting on is way easier without anything behind you.

I’d wait for feedback from the hard core tourers on here. Foam platform is a good idea for that though.

RideTheGlide:
Poking around a little more I had one of those "DOH!" moments while looking at others' setups for touring.

The handle placement made me feel like there is a lot more room in the back than the front. But that is based on the balance point unloaded. Every time I add some weight up front, I can take a step back. On top of that, I based my decision for a large board based on desire to carry a lot of gear and stability in chop/waves, not on my weight. I weigh under 160; if I put my heaviest item between the front bungee clips, I can stand pretty much anywhere I want.

Specific to fishing, it may be that the only thing I want to attach to the back is my 5 gallon bucket. Upside down with a small cushion it's a seat, right side up it's a bait bucket (for fresh caught bait) and if wind or a large fish is taking me where I don't want to go it gets thrown off the back to act as a chute.

ETA - I guess I didn't mention that common fishing scenarios include trolling beyond the breakers or artificial reefs a couple of miles out in the open Atlantic. This will be with others on days when the sea forecast is reasonable.

RideTheGlide:

--- Quote from: surfcowboy on December 03, 2018, 08:04:41 PM ---Also getting on is way easier without anything behind you.
--- End quote ---

Yet another head slap - DOH! Two words - beach launch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version