Author Topic: new member, new board - 2016 Naish Glide  (Read 5311 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
new member, new board - 2016 Naish Glide
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:19:31 AM »
I have been paddling various watercraft for decades, but new to SUP. I tried it by getting a cheap iSUP that i put a couple of hundred miles on this year and decided I like it. I had been having trouble with my back and shoulders in the kayak. Anyway, I went back and forth on what to get and finally bit on a deal for a battleship - the 2016 Naish 14 x 30 Glide. I know it is way more board than I need, but I am likely to haul a lot of gear on it at times, do some open ocean fishing, sometimes carry a passenger and my balance isn't quite what it used to be. I have laid hands on it as I had to inspect it when it was delivered, but I don't officially get it until just after Christmas on my 60th birthday. I paddled one at a demo day at lake I was one during the summer and Strava claims I managed to get it above 6 mph for a short burst and over 5 for a bit longer. Most of the group paddles I go on are down below 4 mph as are my kayak fishing buddies that I will paddle with (I tell them I have evolved and stand erect now  ;D ).

Paddling will mostly be in the sounds and off the beach of the southern NC coast; looking forward to doing AB to CLO for an overnight or two. One of my kids is planning to move to Greenville late summer and I will probably do a few Pamlico paddles visiting him. Also a few lakes around Raleigh, bu may still use my iSUP for a bunch of those due to logistics.

Anyway, more of an intro than anything else...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: new member, new board - 2016 Naish Glide
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
Congrats on your new Board and welcome to the world of SUP.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
Welcome to the Zone Mr. Glide Rider. Sounds like the perfect board. 6 mph is very realist for a exuberante burst coming from 'Shit...This thing flies! Maintaining 6 mph is another thing. That 30" wide Glide is a good board that anyone at any level can use and enjoy on distance paddles.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
You'll enjoy your new board. I know I did when I got my 11'1" x 30" One World. She is not a battleship like your Glide. More like a "light cruiser".  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
Welcome RTG.  I recently moved from Newport Beach, CA to a town outside of Charlotte.  I might be able to get together with you for a paddle one of these days. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Welcome to the Zone Mr. Glide Rider. Sounds like the perfect board. 6 mph is very realist for a exuberante burst coming from 'Shit...This thing flies! Maintaining 6 mph is another thing. That 30" wide Glide is a good board that anyone at any level can use and enjoy on distance paddles.

Thanks. I went back and checked the log and 6.3 was my max and it was a straight up sprint spike; stopped and caught my breath than paddled full out until I had nothing more and then stopped. I kept a speed of a little below 5 for a fair distance and in the middle of that pushed up to 5.4 but couldn't maintain it. Then I got back on my iSUP and averaged just under 3 mph for 7 miles. The cheap iSUP has the glide profile of a tennis ball.

I started paddling SUP late March (lots of prior kayak, canoe and raft experience). The demo was in late June and as mentioned earlier, I paddled 7 miles at under 3 mph on my 9'9" iSUP. By October I was paddling 10 miles in just under 3 hours on the iSUP; a speed improvement of just over 10% over a distance almost 50% further. I am not sure how that will correlate on the Glide but there should be some improvement.

Still, it is not a comparatively fast 14' board. I have paddled some that are considerably faster and some people I paddled with pushed me in that direction. But I started thinking about a cooler, 3' waves and a 25 - what the heck lets make it 40  ;D - pound king trying to drag me to Bermuda, or a passenger and gear for a day at the beach crossing an inlet between a crowded island and an uninhabited preserve with a deserted beach. But I also will hop on with just a pfd, paddle and water bottle sometimes and want some reasonable performance. And it would be nice to have no trouble keeping up with common fishing kayaks (plastic SOTs like Tridents; not performance sea kayaks) getting out to the artificial reefs.

Long winded way of saying this board is a compromise, but one I think makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:17:30 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
one of the best board to get started into SUP, enjoy  ;)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
As Dracula was once overheard saying; "Nice to see some fresh blood here."  If you have the time, start to post how things seem to feel to you...  At least you have stamina, eh?  Cool.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
Probably will be mostly vicarious posts until April; rotator cuff repair in mid January. I have been putting up with that for over a year as it is a "push" pain and doesn't have much effect on paddling. A few years ago I had the other shoulder done but it was a "pull" pain and rated a bit higher on the pain scale. The current one (left shoulder) is pain that can cross your eyes; the right shoulder was levitation level pain. Anyway, the doc says I could be paddling in April. Probably June for open ocean, just in time for the kings to start showing up. Maybe hang a jack fishing for kings and make paddling the least of my concerns...  :D

ETA - There might be an exception if the stars align. I cold end up paddling one of the first two weekends of the new year before surgery if the weather is right and I find someone else to go. Might have to hit I95 south to make it a little warmer; maybe visit my sister in JAX...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:41:50 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
Hi Glide, thanks for posting!

There always seems to be a push or prod to go narrower, smaller, faster.... but I have been extremely happy just gliding along, enjoying everything I see and hear, and paddling up every tiny creek I can find. My love for SUP has never diminished, because I have no goals or expectations of constant improvement.

Things like shoulders and backs don't fall prey to plodding.... they get stronger, healthier from slow miles.
I figure 10 miles is 10 miles.... if it takes 2 hours or 5.
And I am never disappointed with my performance.

You didn't mention your paddle, but it is your most important piece of equipment.... especially where shoulders are concerned.
A shaft with just a bit of flex and a blade that is not too wide are key to shoulder health, from my experience.

Also... cold weather paddling is the best.
No boats, people, noise.... just nature and crisp air.

Outfit yourself properly and enjoy year round paddling.... you have the perfect board for it!

Heal quickly and well from your surgery!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 05:31:15 AM »
Thanks, supthecreek.

I do get caught up in numbers sometimes, trying to get in the miles and burn the calories. I lost ~65 pounds from last summer to this spring and SUP helped me keep it off and improve the shape I am in. I was 58, overweight, out of shape and worried I was starting to let myself age too quickly. Turning 60 like that puts you at higher risk for all sorts of things and I wasn't doing nearly as many things as I would like. No guaranties, but I like improving my odds and I am enjoying the increased activity. I set a goal at what I thought was a reasonable weight and fitness level - 175, still technically overweight, and walking 5 miles regularly. I crushed that; I am about to turn 60 in the mid 150s with visible abs.

I was overweight for decades and have only had a normal BMI for a little over 9 months, so I am still a little freaky about letting my activity level drop much. I have been hitting the gym regularly since it has cooled and days are shorter. Anyway, I did have a point - I do want to get back some of the laid back attitude but not all of it. I do want to push myself often as well as taking it easy and taking it all in sometimes.

I am also admittedly a little defensive because of the push I got from some paddlers I respect toward light, skinny, fast boats. I will not win races with them, but I will keep up just fine on group paddles. I will not be slowing down the plastic armada of kayaks headed out to the fishing grounds; if the horizon darkens I am likely to be the first one back to the beach.

Paddle - yeah it's an issue I am very aware of. the one that came with my cheap iSUP weighs as much as a small child and the shaft is very stiff. I have swapped paddles with others and know how much a really good paddle helps. I am getting a decent adjustable light carbon shaft paddle for Christmas with an eye toward a one piece full carbon paddle as the next major SUP related purchase. I am a little under 5'8", so most used paddles will have plenty of length; keeping my eye open for that.

I do have gear for mild winter paddling. Back in my early days I had a drysuit and kayak whitewater with snow on the banks. These days I would prefer it a bit warmer. These days I have a combination of neoprene, lycra and poly that I got mostly for winter kayak fishing, though the neoprene is a reasonably heavy vest I added with SUP in mind. these days, my preference is to get away from cold weather instead of dealing with it. Until I had the MRI and decided to go ahead with the surgery, I was planning to put together a Feb trip down I-95, possibly to Vero Beach. I am in NC and it's ~8 hours to the "BPL" (banana palm line), an important line of demarcation for winter water sports.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »
Welcome RTG...good name...:)

Good board to get out on especially for exploring. I think we've had more 14' Naish Glides do the CCBC than any other board....you're in good company.

Uugh the vicarious posts...been there too much..... :P

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »
I had to look up CCBC - 22 miles! Before I got the MRI, I was hoping to do the Carolina Cup in April:
http://wrightsvillebeachpaddleclub.com/carolina-cup/#about
Probably one of the sound side races not the "dreaded 13-mile Graveyard Elite Race" (quoted from the site). It's shorter than the CCBC but is an actual race and goes around the island so there are two passes that are not known for charity; this is the graveyard of the Atlantic after all (yeah, I know, MA claims that also; plenty of sunken ships to go around  8) ). Having to wait until 2020 means it will be more likely I will do graveyard. I don't expect to get near the podium but should be able to cross the line before they take the banners down.  ;D

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal