Author Topic: Exciting day in Alaska  (Read 2867 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exciting day in Alaska
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »
I will be buying a lot of dishes. The aftershocks are big enough that I post up on Facebook if they weren't one of 40 or 50 today. Lots of them at 4 or 5 but after a minute of 7.0 they ain't nuthin'.

Pic is from work. Scary. I am so glad they moved me from the tall building.

Shit that was another big one I bet it was 6.0

Edit only a 5.3.   Going to be a long night.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:05:32 AM by deepmud »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting day in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:25:20 AM »
best luck keep--pls post if you need help
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
Damn...scary shit.....good luck.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »
Well it was a rough night. So many aftershocks. Every time I got comfortable another would hit. 10 pm had 3 at 5.0-ish at the same time. Felt like a 6.0 to me. This morning so far only a few that rattle the house. House is ok, and miracles happen, no deaths from this. At work a large piece of debris fell in front of the exit we had gone through just a minute after we were all outside. Highway has sinkholes and broken overpasses. I booked it for home just about 9am. My usual 1 hour commute was an hour and a half. People leaving 15 minutes later took 5 hours (there is only one highway and part of the way it's the ONLY road except the railroad). I have water, food, heat and spare cans of diesel for my vehicles. It could have been worse but wow. I have a feeling for what it was like in 1964 which was a 5 minute 9.0!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
I'd love to see those T-bar / suspended ceilings up close. I've always wondered how they perform in a major earthquake?
The shaking is probably nothing new for you Deep. You're use to your legs moving around under you. Glad everyone is safe ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
Terrifying to have to go thru a long day of that!
Be well DM.. I hope all goes well for you folks up there.

Looks like it's going to take a bit of time to get your roads back in shape.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
Scary stuff. Good luck!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »
We had a tiny shake (2) a few months ago. It was basically a big noise and a shudder. I can't imagine what a big one could have been like. Glad you're okay.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
We had so many aftershocks that anything less than 4.5 doesn't interrupt conversion and a 5plus just makes you hold onto your beer. My wife is really frazzled and to make it worse I had to fly out to Richardson for training this morning. I will be buying a lot of dishes soon but my new 600 espresso maker stayed on the counter so I am pretty happy. Side note if you heard a woman on CNN saying "I have lived here 37 years and this was the most violent earthquake I've felt" that is my wife :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:16:55 PM by deepmud »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »
Really sorry Deepmud that you had to go through this. I’ve felt a few minor shakes before, which have always been very unsettling. Have never felt anything like what you went through though.

And I hope you don’t mind, but when I think of earthquakes it always reminds me of a funny story. It was the earthquake in the San Francisco area that took place during the world series game. In any case, during one of the newscasts, which I saw, the newscaster was interviewing a young woman and asked her where she was during the earthquake. She got a sly look on her face, and said she was in bed with her husband, and for the first time the earth moved!   ;D
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 07:09:06 PM »
Ha that's actually happened to me and my lovely bride before :) it has an interesting effect ;)

Funny stories are totally great to go with a huge disaster where NO ONE died  :D . It's a miracle. Liquor stores have huge lines, people are celebrating life I think.

I flew down to Texas for training Sunday. I didn't think I was having any stress issues but turbulence totally made me feel like I was in another quake. My heart would rev up to a 110 and I could feel adrenaline. Minor PTSD of a kind. I absolutely couldn't rest or sleep on the plane. I sort of feel guilty for sleeping where the shaking isn't happening every couple of hours.

On the plus side I think I found a place open in  "winter" who will rent me a paddle board maybe Wednesday or Thursday. I could use the time on water.
Edit :   this semi driver is sure lucky. Rocks were tumbled by the quake south of Anchorage. This is as close as he could get to the boulder and walk away m
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:53:47 PM by deepmud »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
The building I work in has a tv station upstairs.

https://www.ktva.com/story/39608754/looking-back-at-moments-during-and-after-the-earthquake

I'm guy sort of wringing my hands and looking up at the destruction in the security footage.

I am back in Alaska. The quakes are still going on every few hours. My poor wife has had a rough week. The road crews are freaking amazing. Huge holes are filled and paved in a matter of days. It's good to be home. The weather is weird, lakes thawed and most of the snow melted while I was gone.
Thanks for the well wishes. I feel really lucky. I think we lost maybe a couple thousand dollars of "stuff" but nothing critical. If the aftershocks would just stop we could start being normal again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal