Author Topic: Any Reason Not to! Roof tie down.  (Read 6251 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any Reason Not to! Roof tie down.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »
i have driven <2mi (slowly!) holding the leash string thru my sunroof!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
That gives me the willies just looking at it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
That gives me the willies just looking at it.

I wish it were a Willys! ;D

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
You all are killing me.  I'm really particular about my straps, and don't let anyone ever tie up the straps on my vehicle.  IN all my years of surfing, SUPing, and kayaking, nothing has ever fallen off the roof my car. (touch wood)

Always use two cam straps, and put a half-hitch on the cam after cinching it. The springs that hold cams tight can fail, especially around salt water. Rope with a trucker's hitch also works really well.

It seems like simple insurance that maybe costs you an extra 30 seconds of your time, but can save a big repair bill and maybe someone's life (who won't get hit by a board in vehicle moving at speed).

One time, while whitewater kayaking on the Olympic Peninsula, we had to abandon our trip due to logjams. We only had one Subaru Outback for eight people and eight boats. Guess who they nominated to lead the process of strapping those boats onto one vehicle... :) 

Sustainable Surf

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
You...am I right?

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
As long as we are getting into paranoid tie downs,  let me give you my method.  2-board tie down, 2 straps,  Thule bars with pads, Thule straps, boards in bags.   
Bigger board on the rack first, throw each strap over.   
Stack smaller board on,  go to other side of vehicle. 
Each strap under the bar and throw to the other side over the top board.   
So you end up with one strap directly on each board. 
To tie off my straps,  I run under the bar, back up and 1/2 hitch around the group of three straps,  a couple times.

Only time I ever lost one off the roof involved a quick tie down so we could walk and get some food,  then forgetting the board was loosely fastened, driving off a few hours later.

JP

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
These days I use one long piece of very good quality yacht rope. It depends on your individual roof rack setup, but with mine it’s quicker and does a better job than using two cam straps. I reckon it is safer too - you can see wear on the rope (if there is any) and the breaking weight of 12mm+ dyneema core yacht rope is about a gazillion pounds. Rope doesn’t flap in the wind like straps do, and if it’s windy you can throw it over the vehicle and board if necessary so it makes one-person loading easier. It’s not a cheap option - a good piece of yacht rope will cost more than some cheap cam straps, and you do need to be able to tie a knot. But if your roof rack arrangement suits it, it can be very quick and effective indeed.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
if you carry 1 or 2 board then forget the strap and get yourself a lockrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k90Xc8o3Yo

the only disadvantage of lockrack is the plastic key otherwise its one of the best.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »
I just picked up a fresh set of Kanulock straps which are actually a substantial impovement over the old SPL (pre Kanulock) variety.

But, I have to say the lockrack looks pretty convenient.  I decided against the lock rack because it's not convenient to flip the inside arms down when not in use on a taller vehicle.  If they get that sorted, I'm in...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
I just picked up a fresh set of Kanulock straps which are actually a substantial impovement over the old SPL (pre Kanulock) variety.

But, I have to say the lockrack looks pretty convenient. 

I decided against the Lockarack because it's not convenient to flip the inside arms down when not in use on a taller vehicle.  If they get that sorted, I'm in...

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 01:37:24 PM »
I prefer straps over rope just because it's easier and faster than tying knots, for me anyway. In all the years I've been doing this, I've never had a strap hum or vibrate.

I use the rugged 1.5" wide straps from NRS. I use a 15 footer for one board. For two boards, I use two 12 footers.

https://www.nrs.com/product/1446/nrs-15-padded-straps

I have had a few straps hum, but most know the words.  ;D

Seriously, I have had it happen and it is crazy loud and worse is what it will do to the boat (what I am used to carrying; same with a board). The  vibration will turn the web strap into a vibrating sander it it will get through a layer of paint pretty quick (DAMHIKT). A simple twist in the strap avoids this.

ETA - I think this only happens when there is limited padding and the strap is not dampened; going around a solid bar on each end.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:39:36 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
I should have mentioned that I always twist my straps. I guess I thought everyone did. I have a Thule rack and everything stays nice and quiet.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:49:00 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
Rope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 05:30:32 AM »
flat, carefully placed straps end up sounding like when, as a kid, you stuck a blade of grass between your thumbs and blew like a saxophone--like a reed

i thought neat was best for a while til someone told me to twist the gd straps--works--flat and neat doesnt

bought my new subaru forester without a rack or rails--quieter with better gas mileage

i just put the frt and back set down and shove boards in the car, filed in bags--generally take two
subaru's split rear is 40% on the left, so you can seat one behind the driver

pure plagiarism--creek did a critically acclaimed  photo essay on this approach years ago--tried it liked it--then PB woke me to the fuel inefficiency of racks/rails--so no rack for me--i keep  a soft rack with the spare tire in case of unforeseen need to carry more than one, or more crap, in car--havent had to use it yet---try to avoid people and crap! and they often come entangled

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »
geeze... now I gotta make a "one rope" video  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal